Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Cheap fast left hooker

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2008, 08:29 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap fast left hooker

No not after a cheap fast hooker, but a LHD car, 5 grand, 10 grand at a push. I'm expecting to be doing a lot of driving (and possibly living) on the continent soon, plus do a few track days over here now and then and do annual trips to the 'Ring already.

Now the first few things I'm thinking of are a Delta Integrale, a 911 SC, and old M5 Touring or an E30 M3. Perhaps the 911 is the odd one out because it's not a LHD only motor. But anyone got any experience of these? I've always wanted an Intergrale, but will I be disappointed in the drive and pace - kind of like when you get a DVD of some old 80's show and it turns out to be not as good as it was back in the day. By all rights the M3 will never be a disappointment, but can one be had for sensible money?
Old 04 February 2008, 10:50 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta be the E30 M3 IMHO! 8.5k gets you a very good example.
Old 05 February 2008, 11:01 AM
GenericUser
Scooby Regular

While the E30 is a great car I think you can do better if you need a multi-role vehicle. An Audi RS2 has climate, heated seats, 4 wheel drive and works better on the Nurburgring than you would imagine although they are a big old car.

RS2 isn't as sought after as the E30,a lot more power, newer and some excellent examples available in the 7.5K price range, 10 grand will get you an absolute minter of a lhd RS2. RS2 will make over 350bhp with an MRC or similar remap and feel a lot faster than the figures suggest. I've driven a couple of RS2's, one on it's original suspension-it was a bit of a barge. The other on recent shocks,springs, bushes was great, it really belied it's size and weight and the 'big red' brakes were very effective stoppers. So if you do decide to take a look at them make sure you get one that's had the suspension refreshed and has the better brakes.

I reckon you'd be mad not to include the RS2 on your shortlist.
Old 05 February 2008, 11:06 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Pal has a 1990 911 Carerra 4 LHD he paid circa £13k for a few years ago. Does road trips all over europe and is fast, frugal and very reliable
Old 05 February 2008, 11:39 AM
GenericUser
Scooby Regular

I have to say 964 Porsches have a justified reputation for oil leaks and flywheel problems (later ones).
That doesn't mean you can't find a sorted one but all those I've looked at have had problems.
Old 05 February 2008, 11:42 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

For lots of miles I think that the Lancia may struggle (I stand to be corrected), don't get me wrong I think they're great cars, just not designed for reliability and huge millage. The BM'r on the other hand.......

Just my 2p worth
Old 05 February 2008, 12:11 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Have you considered buying on the continent and privately importing it?

If the car is 10 years old I don't think its too hard to do.

944 turbo?

Trending Topics

Old 05 February 2008, 01:29 PM
GenericUser
Scooby Regular

The only problems with the 944 turbo is that they are either getting to be sheds or command top money when mint. Finding a minter isn't easy either. Nice car if you can find a good one and faster than a 968. There are some really nice looking ones on mobile.de.
I reckon a good 968 is going to be at the very top of your budget and a CS out of reach.
Old 05 February 2008, 04:48 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Mmm some interesting things I hadn't thought of there - the RS2 for one. I'm sure I saw a Carrera 4 up for decent money somewhere recently. I've never really been into the 944/968 shape so that's out. Another thing I've got on the back burner (not as LHD, just as a nice runaround) is a Merc 190 Cosworth with the 2.5 lump. Only thing is I can never find one with decent looking rims and most of the ones I see are now sheds.

Might be worth looking at importing, but I was more thinking of what sort of tasty motors are only available in LHD so buying one wouldn't be so much of a drawback now I need LHD anyway.
Old 05 February 2008, 06:04 PM
GenericUser
Scooby Regular

A 964 C4 will be cheaper than a comparable C2. Make sure you do your homework before buying one. As previously mentioned they have some intrisic faults that need to have been sorted before you purchase one.
Old 05 February 2008, 10:41 PM
superscoobx
Scooby Regular

Audi TT.

Practical and LHD. Do it
Old 05 February 2008, 10:55 PM
GenericUser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by superscoobx
Audi TT.

Practical and LHD. Do it
You've got something there. If you can live with the image then a 225bhp 99 TT in good nick for around 7 grand looks like value. A lot more modern than the other cars on the list and not that many weak points other than stuff like the dash pod, clutch pedal sink and obviously that it's had the spoiler/ESP recall.
A cheap 250 quid remap will see it a 260-70bhp and a haldex controller will make the handling less bland, all for less than a grand.
Xenons, heated leather seats and climate as standard as well as a high quality feel isn't to be sniffed at.