Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Vehicle Inspections

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2007, 08:58 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vehicle Inspections

Has anyone used one of these prior to purchasing a car. There's a car I'm interested in, trouble is it's a hell of a long way from me. My tentative plan is to invest £100 or so in getting a vehicle inspection done and then (based on the report obviously) buy the car without actually seeing it.

TBH my mechanical knowledge etc. is not really good enough to make seeing the car myself that much of a factor and it would probably cost me that much in petrol (never mind the time) just to go and take a look. I have never driven any example of the car in question (Accord Type R) but everything I've read suggests that it would be pretty much what I want.

Has anyone got any experiences with vehicle inspection companies they would care to share?
Old 30 November 2007, 11:30 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Doesn't matter what the car is, you must drive an example before buying. Even a minor thing can become a biggie (what if driving position just doesn't work for you). I'm sure a Type-R is a great car but you may just not "get on" with it.
Old 30 November 2007, 11:57 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Dracoro is spot on in saying you must drive one first. The vtec can be a right pain in the a$$ if you are used to proper performance engines with torques and horse powers in the right places.

vtec's in the wrong gear get overtaken by diesels including refuse collection trucks
Old 30 November 2007, 11:58 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

No! NO!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

NEVER EVER buy a car without seeing it and driving it.

This really is a crazy idea. Would you buy a house unseen? No! And yet a car is probably your second biggest financial outlay after a house.

Well done for recognising your mechanical limitations so by all means get a vehicle inspection done BUT ONLY AFTER seeing it and driving it.

Have you visited any Type R forums? You should - they'll give you more accurate guidance.
Old 30 November 2007, 02:53 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice, FWIW prior to my Impreza I've owned a long line of naturally aspirated relatively highly tuned Alfas so I do know a bit about all the power being at the top end (although to be fair the Alfas don't tend to be too bad lower down either)

I kind of like the idea of a Jekyll and Hyde type power delivery, from what I've read the Accord can be quite economical if taking it easy but with still with a lot of potential higher up the rev range.

Having said all that I do take on board what everyone's saying and perhaps it was a stupid idea in hindsight, but am still interested in anyone's experience with inspection companies - if any one has any that is.
Old 30 November 2007, 11:40 PM
Daz1121
Scooby Regular

I test drove the car I bought but not after having an inspection done by Deckra to check the bits I couldn't do.
Old 01 December 2007, 07:42 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

You'll be lucky top get a good inspection for £100! I used to get cars inspected, but I've not bothered for the last several cars. Have a look yourself and if it's too far away just wait for one popping up closer, it's not a rare and unique car.