Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Car thefts

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2007, 06:53 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car thefts

I responded to a question on a forum regarding extra security over and above manufaturers standard kit. I said that in addition i use a disklok which another user says is a waste of money as Audi S3's are impossible to steal without the keys.
I didn't think any car was impossible to take without keys, which in most cases also have the disklok key on the same ring.

Is the disklok a waste of 60 quid then?

Out of interest my Subarus were always parked up with the disklok on as i assumed Subaru security could be bi-passed by well educated scum.

Nik.
p.s. Theft methods didn't include flat bed trucks etc.

Last edited by nik52wrx; 07 November 2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07 November 2007, 07:14 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

AFAIK

NO car is impossible to steal
Old 07 November 2007, 07:18 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Im sure we'd all know about it (via the power of advertising) if an s3 was un-stealable!! If thieves can nick Ferraris and Porsches (without keys if necessary) then Im sure an S3 is easy meat.....
Old 08 November 2007, 01:44 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

My friend had an A3 nicked without keys - MY2003 i think it was
Old 08 November 2007, 09:26 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

There's two levels of theft here.

Pro-thieves - forget it, if they want your car, they will get it, little you can do.
Opportunists/joy riders - won't have resources of pro-thieves so visible deterrents (esp in common and old cars) can be useful.

Bascially, IMO, if the thief has to have the keys to nick the car then I wouldn't bother with visible deterrents. If the car can be nicked without the keys (i.e. hotwiring etc.) or if in a no-so-good area then go for it.

Visible deterrents are less about stopping the car being nicked and more to do with stopping people trying in the 1st place.
Old 08 November 2007, 06:02 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

As Dracoro said.

Put it this way, since roughly 1995 every UK market car (i.e not jap market imports - as most have zero security ), has a "chip in key" immobilser (or chip in remote if its a Rover ).

This is directly interfaced with the engine ECU, so without it, or a copied (non-programmed) key the car will not start. Or it will start briefly then cut out and not restart afterwards.

So these cars are a no-go for stupid theives (although some very stupid ones will try and hot wire a modern Corsa, but it won't work )

There is exceptions. And this is where pro-theives come in. If a pro has access to decent ECU programming tools, then new keys/fobs can be programmed to start the car. This varies from between car makes - some are easier than others.

Alternative pro tricks are to swap the car's ECU with one of the same that has been modified so that it does not need a programmed key.

The latter two are clever sods, and if the car defeats them, they probably know a guy with a shotgun ready to storm in your house with to take the keys by force anyway...infact they'll probably do the latter, or tow the car away rather than mess about trying to start it.

Disclocks still have their part in modern cars: A car with a disklock parked on full-lock is alot harder to tow or drag on to a flatbed/tariler without raising suspicion and does take longer....i.e your buying time.

Also they are last in the line in saying "sod off" to stupid theives (duggies/joy-riders etc) who will try and hot-wire a modern car - completely ignorant to the electronic security. A modern UK car is especially prone if there is a grey market model thats imported without built-in security (anything Japanease). Where they may fail to steal your car, but your still left with a knackered doorlock/window, steering column damage and a ruined day.
Old 08 November 2007, 06:12 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

for audi s3 etc , go look at any Audi site or Seat site (under Leons) , for those having been stolen... you'll find many have been taken minus the keys..
Old 08 November 2007, 10:46 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

3 words... four wheel lift...
Old 08 November 2007, 11:09 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

In reality though, there are not many dodgy Hi-Ab car transporters about that escape HM's inspectorate come plating time though.