Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

what would a 388 bhp pulsar gtir be like?

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2007, 08:12 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what would a 388 bhp pulsar gtir be like?

some one i know has just brought one, in his old car (2l mr2) i use to own him all the time.

my scoob is putting out 357 bhp, 316 ibft, but got the feeling that the pulsar is gonna woop me all night long, well before it blows up, or the gear box turns to choc :-(

any comments??
Old 06 November 2007, 09:17 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaOne
some one i know has just brought one, in his old car (2l mr2) i use to own him all the time.

my scoob is putting out 357 bhp, 316 ibft, but got the feeling that the pulsar is gonna woop me all night long, well before it blows up, or the gear box turns to choc :-(

any comments??
more power, less weight... do that maths...

if it's been modded correctly then it will be fine as the SR20DET is a good strong engine, the gearbox might not like it if he does too many hard launches, but the "chocolate gearbox" thing is a bit of an old wives tale, I know 4 friends that had Pulsars and not one had gearbox issues
Old 06 November 2007, 09:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

short fat an ugly ..?

**** flyes off the shovel
Old 06 November 2007, 09:44 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

you will have him on the twisties though and possibly under braking unless they have been upgraded (forget that actually they must have been upgraded as I used to have 1 kicking out about 270 ish and standard brakes were worse than the scooby, thats why I upgraded to tarox 6 pots before I wrote it off :cry )

so straight line, yes will probably edge it, and the gearboxes are weak
Old 06 November 2007, 10:11 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

have got 335mm disc on the front of mine :-)

he drives like a w**ker most of the time, so my money is on that it wont last long before it is in a field or in bits.

one thing that it will never beat is the scoob rumble
Old 06 November 2007, 10:13 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Rich D
more power, less weight... do that maths...

if it's been modded correctly then it will be fine as the SR20DET is a good strong engine, the gearbox might not like it if he does too many hard launches, but the "chocolate gearbox" thing is a bit of an old wives tale, I know 4 friends that had Pulsars and not one had gearbox issues
My mate went through 3 gearboxes, and he know of other owners that had busted theirs...
Old 06 November 2007, 10:25 PM
Jeff Stryker
BANNED

To be honest though scoobys arnt much better on gearboxes. I broke 6 in 2 years on 2 different cars
Old 10 November 2007, 12:19 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

this is the one he said he had brought

Nissan : GTI-R/MINT/Very Best!!!
sounds abit of a besst
Old 10 November 2007, 02:49 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

What would a 388 bhp pulsar gtir be like?
Short-lived!
Old 10 November 2007, 08:45 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Difficult to say depends whats been done to the rest of the car power without control is pointless ie brakes/chassis setup.
Old 10 November 2007, 10:49 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

brakes were poor in standard trim,but nice cars to drive,the only prob i had with mine was the bonnet catch broke,not a nice situation to be in,mine was no competition to my scoob but was relatively standard
Old 11 November 2007, 09:32 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

well i can say is a mate of mine used to work for a place called AWD in Scotland and the had a company gti-r running low tens and the gearbox lasted 2 full seasons on that so they aint that bad if u pay attention
Old 11 November 2007, 10:16 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Gearbox after gearbox after diff after gearbox.

Unless he keeps a few spares in the boot, you'll be ok
Old 12 November 2007, 08:33 AM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

Really showing their age with the performance in standard form, but only about 5% are standard these days.

Having owned mine for 7 years now, and being involved in both clubs for that time too, I can honestly say that on one hand GTi-R's can have hardly any problems if looked after (like mine), and then others can go wrong with boxes etc continuely, more so due to their age these days.

To say that a scoob would have it on the twisties is a bit naive, the fact there are many levels of impreza (original uk spec to type 25 etc) before you even look at tuned examples, and the fact that there are loads of different levels of tune with the Pulsar owners too, means you can't take a general view. Pulsars with decent wheels, brakes, teins, whiteline, camber set etc etc can be very quick, before you even look at the engine spec.

Personally I find a correctly tuned example of a Pulsar a very rewarding drive, raw, decent feedback, chuckable and these days, pretty light for 4wd, even after trying Sti 9's and even a Spec C. For the money (eg just 4k) its a lot of car, providing (as said above, if your lucky) you don't have too many problems with it. Not an everyday car though.

A genuine near 400bhp R (pref. setup with low lag) with a box that can handle it, and an updated chassis and brakes to boot (teins, ap whiteline, semi-slicks etc), would be a very capable car before areodyamics came into effect. Depends if its genuine, as in any scene, don't always believe what spec people tell you.
Old 12 November 2007, 10:13 AM
cos500
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nisr227
Really showing their age with the performance in standard form, but only about 5% are standard these days.

Having owned mine for 7 years now, and being involved in both clubs for that time too, I can honestly say that on one hand GTi-R's can have hardly any problems if looked after (like mine), and then others can go wrong with boxes etc continuely, more so due to their age these days.

To say that a scoob would have it on the twisties is a bit naive, the fact there are many levels of impreza (original uk spec to type 25 etc) before you even look at tuned examples, and the fact that there are loads of different levels of tune with the Pulsar owners too, means you can't take a general view. Pulsars with decent wheels, brakes, teins, whiteline, camber set etc etc can be very quick, before you even look at the engine spec.

Personally I find a correctly tuned example of a Pulsar a very rewarding drive, raw, decent feedback, chuckable and these days, pretty light for 4wd, even after trying Sti 9's and even a Spec C. For the money (eg just 4k) its a lot of car, providing (as said above, if your lucky) you don't have too many problems with it. Not an everyday car though.

A genuine near 400bhp R (pref. setup with low lag) with a box that can handle it, and an updated chassis and brakes to boot (teins, ap whiteline, semi-slicks etc), would be a very capable car before areodyamics came into effect. Depends if its genuine, as in any scene, don't always believe what spec people tell you.
Well said, ive had scoobys, cossies for 10 years, but went in a modded gtir and was pretty impressed, not a car to under estimate, even though it does look like a bread van.
Old 13 November 2007, 01:39 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ciaran
well i can say is a mate of mine used to work for a place called AWD in Scotland and the had a company gti-r running low tens and the gearbox lasted 2 full seasons on that so they aint that bad if u pay attention
That one wasn't on the original gearbox, it was a straight cut box.
Old 13 November 2007, 01:58 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

That car is on flea bay
Old 13 November 2007, 10:03 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

I question both 388bhp and 401bhp from a GT28Rs on a 2litre. Maybe I am wrong but this seems very high/ambitious.
That said you are going to have a real 360 so maybe not worth the debate...
Old 13 November 2007, 10:15 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i had a gtir back in 1999 and even though they arnt the prettiest cars around these things are rapid mine used to rocket to 60 in just shy of 5 seconds and through the corners i felt very safe ,these things are fantastic cars for little money .
i paid 9k for mine when i got it and now there around 3-4k
id buy another one for either track days or just a sunday car
Old 14 November 2007, 11:38 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

this is the one he said he had brought

Nissan : GTI-R/MINT/Very Best!!!
sounds abit of a besst
Oddly enough my mate used to own that car a few years ago...
Old 16 November 2007, 06:03 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome cars, id always think twice before having a go at a GTiR.... Just like cossies.. you never know what they might be running.

A guy a knew had a genuine 400+bhp Pulsar with a quaife box etc... it was brutally fast and handled too. They command alot of respect IMO.
Old 22 November 2007, 03:17 PM
killerscoob
Scooby Regular

If I was you get your scoob booked in and get more mods done, I had a dice with one on the motorway in my scooby and they are slippy little F****rs but I could catch him and sit on his ****, mines running around 290-300 so he's might of been around that mark so if he's got more break than yours I dont think you stand a chance without more mods.