Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2007, 10:33 PM
killeek
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Ranger

Evening all,

We're looking for a single cab pick-up.
Mainly as a second car and every so often hauling a ton bag of gravel and the like.
Have no interest in making a statment by driving a sparklingly clean huge 4x4 just because we can.
Looking for somthing functional, dependable, that will tow well, take a decent load and will not cost the earth.

Have done some basic research and pick ups seems to breakdown like this....(apologies to any owners who I insult)

Those that are for looking good in and those that are for using as pick-ups.

Navara & L200 - the nuts but pitcheed more for looking good that for working hard
Hilux - tough tough and more tough. Meant to be used.
Ranger - The lada of pick-ups. Does the job, economically priced but basic.

People I have talked to all say not to touch the Ranger but can't give a definite reason. They "have just heard"

Does anyone have any first hand experience of the ranger?

I dont care about looking good just want a functional pick up that is reliable and doesn't cost the earth.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

P
Old 22 October 2007, 10:34 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by killeek
Evening all,

We're looking for a single cab pick-up.
Mainly as a second car and every so often hauling a ton bag of gravel and the like.
Have no interest in making a statment by driving a sparklingly clean huge 4x4 just because we can.
Looking for somthing functional, dependable, that will tow well, take a decent load and will not cost the earth.

Have done some basic research and pick ups seems to breakdown like this....(apologies to any owners who I insult)

Those that are for looking good in and those that are for using as pick-ups.

Navara & L200 - the nuts but pitcheed more for looking good that for working hard
Hilux - tough tough and more tough. Meant to be used.
Ranger - The lada of pick-ups. Does the job, economically priced but basic.

People I have talked to all say not to touch the Ranger but can't give a definite reason. They "have just heard"

Does anyone have any first hand experience of the ranger?

I dont care about looking good just want a functional pick up that is reliable and doesn't cost the earth.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

P
I have driven a lot of rangers (they were the genreal purpose pick up of choice in the cunstuction of terminal 5 heathrow). Reliable work horses. They were all crew cab ones. Back in my office in wales they have a 2 door 2wd model.. again its been given a good battering, looks like trash now but still going strong after many years.

Get the 2.2 diesel and 4wd if you can stretch to it! For the price you cant go wrong. The XLT is a bit more flashy but comes with aircon and comfy seats, have driven from london to wales and then to newcastle and back in a black XLT.. very comfy! Did break a leaf spring once though, but that was me being a tad silly
Old 22 October 2007, 11:27 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

What a strange 1st post... Made in the General section of a Subaru owners wbesite.

Looks like you've already decided on the Hilux by the way you've worded your list..

Very strange.
Old 22 October 2007, 11:57 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
Looks like you've already decided on the Hilux by the way you've worded your list..
Utterly dependable are the hilux, but also damn pricey compared to the ford
Old 22 October 2007, 01:06 PM
killeek
Scooby Newbie

Hi Satancom
Thanks for the reply much appreciated

Sorry Oddson
googled "Ford Ranger Review" and it brought up a bunch of sites including this - There is a post somewhere in here about rangers. Just trying to get some feedback. Wont disturb you again
Old 22 October 2007, 02:13 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

mate in skye has a ford ranger-thinkks it is spot on,have a drive of all your models and see what you think
martin
Old 23 October 2007, 11:43 PM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

One of my mates has a Ranger as a company car, he is currently on his second used to have a 52 plate and more recently changed it for an 07, they have been more then good with him. Although that said he does not pay for his own servicing so you have to bear that in mind. He is a serious off roading fan as well so runs a non tax and test 4x4 offroad, if he likes the ranger, and he readily admits its not the best for luxury i suspect its not that bad. I can tell you his new one is a considerable improvement over the old one.

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2007, 03:49 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by killeek
Just trying to get some feedback. Wont disturb you again
Your more than welcome to hang around here if you like ?
Old 25 October 2007, 08:17 AM
MickWrx
Scooby Regular

Location: Wset Yroksrhie posts: 82,555 - total _____ Avg monthly

Hi mate I have A Ford Ranger Thunder 07 plate facelift version, and it does everything I want and more. Took us all down to Newquay in september, and last week towed my 3 door cosworth back from Beds, and honestly could not tell it was on the back.

I have to say its not the nicest looking pick up out there, but it does everything I need and is very comfortable, the thunder is the Double cab with leather and loads of toys.

I had the old model before this and this one is a far far better vehicle, the engine and transmision in the older model was very loud and well agricultural.
Old 25 October 2007, 04:46 PM
cursed bat
Scooby Newbie

Micky wrx, I'm looking for a pickup for work to replace my 04 Navara, really like the new Ranger as its one of the few that can still legally tow three tons... but I'm put off by it only being 5 speed unless they've lengthened the ratios.

What revs are you doing at say 70mph and also out of interest (guess of course ) 80mph? Sounds a bit stupid but when ever I'm on the motorway in my 5 speed Nissan it feels ridiculously low geared and the new Navara has 6 gears to combat this I guess.

I think the new Ranger is still a "proper pickup" fit for purpose, the new Nissan and Mitsi are a bit flash and the new Hilux will only tow just over 2 tons

Many thanks

Last edited by cursed bat; 25 October 2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: speeeelinhg!
Old 25 October 2007, 06:55 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Maybe also worth looking at the new Mazda BT-50, same vehicle as the Ford Ranger with the new 2.5 engine, same high payload and towing capacity and usually a bit cheaper.

Cheers
Lee