Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Lotus Elise Type-R...

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2007, 07:26 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lotus Elise Type-R...

Had an Elise follow me between Trafford Centre and Didsbury in Manchester last Wednesday.
Noticed when he overtook what a great sound it made and spotted a "Type-R" badge on the back from a Honda. So this obviously had the Honda engine conversion. Why don't Lotus use these all the time? Engine note sounded like a Ferrari.
Whoever owns that is a lucky git!

It was a yellow S2 by the way in case anyone knows the car.

Nick
Old 15 October 2007, 12:10 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't mind one myself !!
Old 15 October 2007, 12:00 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I know someone with an S1 Type R engined version.
About 260bhp (been tuned quite heavily) and VERY fast indeed.

Seems the Type R engine is an awful lot better than the Toyota one.
The 111R I drive was quick enough but sounded like a bazzed up Corsa and had almost no torque at all.
Old 22 October 2007, 05:45 PM
craigmk2crx
Scooby Regular

Location: nice quiet village just outside Huddersfield surrounded by lovely A & B roads

I've been around a track in a Type-R'd Elise. It was mental

When I wrote my CRX off a few yrs ago I kept the engine for ages. I was going to try find a high mileage/blown engine S1 Elise as a new home for my engine.

Would've been pretty rapid with the 236bhp it had. Also lighter than a Typre R engine. It had the original 1.6VTEC head, full of ITR parts & a 1.8VTEC block, also with JDM ITR parts

It was quick in a 900kg CRX so would've really loved to see what difference it made in an Elise.

God I do miss that car

Craig
Old 23 October 2007, 08:32 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I tested the prototype quite a few years ago now at Elvington, was very impressed with it. Kept cracking manifolds which put an early end to the test but given the prices of early S1s now I would say the conversion is a very good way to turn a sweet car into a mental nutter machine for little cost.
Old 23 October 2007, 10:50 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Doesn't it cost close to 10k to do a conversion on one of these cars?

As for why Lotus do not supply them like that new, I guess its down to Honda not wanting to sell them the engines, or not selling them at the right price. Honda do have the S2000, and will not want to take sales away from that.

Toyota, well they do have the MR2, but that has never been a real seller over here.
Old 23 October 2007, 11:21 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my mates has a honda powered elise and as has been mentioned it is extremely quick and although the conversion is not cheap when you consider the the total price compared to the cars that you are now able to compete with i think its money well spent.

At most track nights at knockhill there are very few cars if any that he isnt able to pass, the following video shows one that showed hill a clean set of heels up the straight.

Knockhill. Lotus Elise

This season he has been racing it in the lotus on track race series and has done very well. A couple of weeks ago he drove the car from scotland to spa , took part in both his races and then drove the car home.

Trending Topics

Old 23 October 2007, 12:58 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigmk2crx
I've been around a track in a Type-R'd Elise. It was mental

When I wrote my CRX off a few yrs ago I kept the engine for ages. I was going to try find a high mileage/blown engine S1 Elise as a new home for my engine.

Would've been pretty rapid with the 236bhp it had. Also lighter than a Typre R engine. It had the original 1.6VTEC head, full of ITR parts & a 1.8VTEC block, also with JDM ITR parts

It was quick in a 900kg CRX so would've really loved to see what difference it made in an Elise.

God I do miss that car

Craig
I remember your CRX from honda revolutions days - it was a beauty
Old 02 November 2007, 10:42 AM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

good vid but the porsche mullers it in a straight line ,ive been on track with with a few gt3's and they dont pull away that much on the straights.
If you want proper quick ,,,i was at donington in the summer with a type r engined elise with a charger strapped on ,that was quick.
Old 02 November 2007, 04:12 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mg driver
good vid but the porsche mullers it in a straight line ,ive been on track with with a few gt3's and they dont pull away that much on the straights.
If you want proper quick ,,,i was at donington in the summer with a type r engined elise with a charger strapped on ,that was quick.
Yes but this wasnt a gt3 i cant remember the spec but i am sure it was running around 400 - 500 bhp.

My mate races in the lotus on track series and he is in class b and regularly beats some of the supercharged elises.
Old 03 November 2007, 12:56 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

i was gonna say that looks like a gt2 and the driver must had some *****/skill to drive that beast like that
Old 03 November 2007, 01:01 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

a bit ot but the rover coupe you were racing at crail is that ross's one that runs mid 12's?
Old 03 November 2007, 01:30 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
a bit ot but the rover coupe you were racing at crail is that ross's one that runs mid 12's?
Not 100 percent sure he posts on scottish car club. My mates lotus had the best time in his class but we didnt wait for the final, we left at lunch time and headed down to a track day at knockhill.