Flat battery - but why?

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2007, 08:48 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Flat battery - but why?

Any one got any ideas on this?

Lock junior uses an old 205 (1.9 TD) to get to work 4 days a week. Recently the thing won’t start of a morning. Engine just turns over slowly a couple of times and it seems as if battery is dead.

But my garage have checked the battery which seems fine. The alternator is charging when engine is running and belts are tight. Terminals have been cleaned and he doesn’t leave lights on over night. No fancy alarms and the only thing running with engine off is the clock.

So what have we missed or what else can we check? I don’t want to fork out for a new generator or battery just for this to happen again.

Aaaaagggh dl
Old 03 October 2007, 08:57 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hi David,

Check the battery earth and engine earths, disscinnect the battery and clean them up.

How old is the battery?
Diesles tend to be higher comp than petrol cars and the batteris whilst often more ampy still get a pasting
It might be a warped plate on the battery which only shows up when the battery is under load ie starting/turning over. the plate warps some under load and shorts against another plate reducing the volts/amps.

Try another battery and see if that helps.
Old 03 October 2007, 09:08 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

dodgy starter motor <dunno>
Old 03 October 2007, 09:31 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys,

I don't think it is the starter motor as engine does turn over and works perfectly after battery is charged. Thanks Paul, You're right that the diesel lump does need a fair old whack to turn over (tried to bump start it once, never again). Battery is a couple of years old but my garage did check it over carefully and was even honest enough to turn down my suggestion of fitting a new one. We'll check earth connections again. I take your point about another battery but that will depend on what garage has lying around. Cars, bloody cars. Nearly as troublesome as women david
Old 03 October 2007, 09:36 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Like Paul says, you really need to check the battery again. Make it so it won't start, ie pull all the wiring off the injector pump. Get a voltmeter on the battery, you should be looking for more than 12.2V static. Crank the engine, it should go for at least 15 seconds without dropping below 9V, if it does, swap the battery

To check for the battery being drained, remove a battery lead and connect an ammeter between the lead and the battery terminal, which everything off you should read less the 0.5amps. If you have more, remove fuses one at a time till you find the circuit which has the drain and go from there.

Assuming all the above is ok, the wiring to the starter is good, terminals are clean, earth wires are ok, swap the starter or worst case scenario, the car!

Old 03 October 2007, 09:37 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Oh yeah, I assume you get it going via jump leads? In which case I'd suggest a battery fault / drain
Old 03 October 2007, 10:33 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Noted and mostly understood - thanks

Yes we have used jump leads but usually I just charge it overnight and it fires first time. Am going back to garage next Monday so will discuss all above with my man. Thought about changing the car but it's a great little wagon (aside from.....) and no one is going to nick it Plus I haven't got any money

I reckon it's either an alternator with an intermittent fault or, more probably, something draining power when it's standing.

david

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2007, 12:30 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Might be other wiring - As it is getting old the rather fragile wiring can break and cause a drain. Worth inspecting it all the way along not just at the terminals.

Boy in the Supra club had a similar problem with his Gti.

5t.
Old 03 October 2007, 12:36 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

We'll be checking the wiring as best we can. There are a few loose ends floating about including connections to a now defunct alarm system.

We'd do a swap with the Supra if he wanted Thanks, d