Ferrari Experience at Silverstone

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2007, 01:16 PM
fiorano
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrari Experience at Silverstone

Hi,

In a couple of weeks time im doing a ferrari drive at Silverstone (4 laps lotus exige and 4 laps f360). Anyone done this? what can I expect?

Cheers!
Old 16 August 2007, 02:39 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fiorano
Hi,

In a couple of weeks time im doing a ferrari drive at Silverstone (4 laps lotus exige and 4 laps f360). Anyone done this? what can I expect?

Cheers!
the day to go very quickly. It's almost a conveyor belt experience. I did the full day rally driving day in leicestershire and one of the instuctors also did the ferrari experiences. He said you are in and out in no time at all.

Don't get me wrong I am sure it will be good but as soon as the enjoyment starts it will be all over. Enjoy it anyway, not may people can say they drove round silverstone in a ferrari.
Old 16 August 2007, 04:07 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

I did this, but in a 355, and was a little bit disappointed that it was LHD; only even driven a LHD once. I was a little disorientated and couldn't concentrate on what I learnt in the lotus!
Still, nothing like flooring a Ferrari; the seemless acceleration is awesome!
Old 16 August 2007, 04:33 PM
fiorano
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Rioja
I did this, but in a 355, and was a little bit disappointed that it was LHD; only even driven a LHD once. I was a little disorientated and couldn't concentrate on what I learnt in the lotus!
Still, nothing like flooring a Ferrari; the seemless acceleration is awesome!
Thanks for the reply.

Ive got s slight scuff mark on my licence (over my driver number). Are they over the top when checking the licence or do they just make sure it is you and that youve had it for three years?

Cheers
Old 18 August 2007, 08:58 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Drove a F355 a couple of years ago round Silverstone, and as Rioja said it was a bit dissopointing that the car was LHD, it was the first LHD car I drove(out of all the cars it had to be a Ferrari) The day does go quick, But dont think for one second that you can drive the car how you want it, because the instructor tells you everything to do and that means braking well before the corners come up and driving smoothly round the bends, and only really on the straights you really are allowed to give it some. Still it was a great experience and not many people can say they have drove a Ferrari round Silverstone!!!!
Old 18 August 2007, 07:50 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

i did a 355 experience day at bruntingthorpe and it was a major let down tbh ,i had been waiting years to drive a ferrari and it was a big anti climax .
I had as part of the package ,3 laps in the ferrari ,3 laps in a rally car and 3 laps in an impreza .
Each lap was about 1 minute 30 to 2 minutes long ,so i had a max of 6 minutes in the ferrari and was told everything to do at what point ,couldnt push it at all ,i could have lapped quicker in my own car ,the rally car and road car were both impreza turbos and at the time i owned one so that was nothing new ,all in i had an absolute max of 18 minutes on track for about 400 quid iirc.
There was nothing personal about it to try and make it special,you stood in a queue for each ride ,jumped in belt on ,3 laps and back out ,that was it,the whole thing was over in about 45 minutes...absolute flippin rip off and if id known what it was like ,i would have offered maybe 50 quid max for it.
the highlight for me was 3 laps in a tvr griff 500 which i paid about 40 quid on the day for ,awesome car .
What really went against the grain was that people were just turning up on the day and paying 50 quid for the laps in the ferrari,and about 30 quid for a go in the impreza,and getting exactly the same as i paid 400 quid for, for about 80 quid.
What a xxxxxx con.
Old 18 August 2007, 08:05 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'd always wanted to do a ferrari experience, but TBH I've only been told bad thing about it. ie very little time in car and very restricted to what you can do or how fast you can go.

The best track days I've been on are the one's by Audi. Not wanting to sound like our mate Audilover, but they really are very good days out. I've done 2 now. One was driving A4 180 Quattro's around Oulton Park, which included Skid pan driving, avoidance driving etc. The other one was last month, again at Oulton Park in the new R8.

On both occasions we were never told to slow down. We were going as fast as the car could go. The R8 day was tempered by wet weather, yet apart from taking it a bit slower in the corners (obviously) we were at full throttle every part corner and straight.
One the first Audi day, I paid (if I remember correctly) £495. Sounds expensive, but, for that you got overnight accomodation in a very nice Cheshire hotel where the instructors were present, breakfast in the morning, full days driving including lunch, and then a little presentation at the end. Best £495 I've spent.
The R8 day was free

Was thinking about booking another this year. You drive RS4,s and TT's if I remember correctly.

Trending Topics

Old 18 August 2007, 08:13 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Yes every one says that Audi driving experiences are the best.

At the BMW ones they are too busy constantly trying to tell you how much better their cars are to everyone elses instead of just letting you drive
Old 20 August 2007, 10:28 AM
chris n`nic
Scooby Regular

I did this a couple of years ago (was a free gift luckily) and I was really dissapointed tbh. First I went out in a TT 180bhp and this was just to get the lines and I swear I was going 40mph and he was saying slow down! Then went out in the Elise which was a bit better but again he was over the top with how slow I had to go on bends that my own car would fly round. Lastly I went out in a 355 and it was an old battered thing covered in stone chips and the wheels were knackered. LHD as above but a few things made the experience worse...

The speedo was covered up which I suppose stops people looking at that rather than the road, and it was fitted with "Traction Control" which basically meant whatever gear at whatever speed if you had a small amount of steering on the car juddered and wouldn't accelerate!

All in all you could tell it was just down to saving money over the year...less speed = less fuel used, less brake/tyre wear, less chance of crashing which totally spoiled the experience for me.

Chris
Old 21 August 2007, 11:18 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I was at Silverstone last year doing a skid pan thing (was bday gift) and was quite good fun as it happens.

While there people were also going around track in the Ferraris etc. At the end of my driving I decided to have a passenger ride round in a Caterham (cost about £30) and that seemed much better than what the people were getting in the Ferrari’s, as we left them for dust , they didn't seem to be able to give them any stick at all.

Ok if you have it as a gift or something but if I was thinking about paying for it myself I wouldn't bother tbh.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:28 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

i looked at ferrari experiences and came to the conclusion that they were an abosulte rip off and renting a ferari for a day or weekend worked out as much better value for money, till i saw the limiting 100 miles per day and £1.50 per mile surcharge. All in all i might just have to steal one......did anyone read about that footballer who parked his outside a restaurant and nipped inside, leaving it running. Now im a normal law abiding citizen, but i probably would have tbh