Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf Tdi/GT Tdi and mileage

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2007, 01:16 AM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf Tdi/GT Tdi and mileage

Im due to sell my much loved scooby for a golf Mk 4 Tdi or GT Tdi as ive just bought a house.
Looking at around the £4000/£4500 mark, so it will be a higher milage car than im used too owning, but it has to be done

Where would you draw the line when it comes to milage tho

Just how strong are the engines?

Any input would be great, i know there are cheaper deisels out there, but i want a golf and thats that

Is 120,000 miles way to much for a car like this ????????
Old 20 July 2007, 09:50 AM
worley
Scooby Regular

Good choice of car for the engine, I had the PD150 that had 155kmiles of hard driving over 3 years. The engine was fine when sold, but the drive train had loosened some what over time.

Don't expect fireworks from the Golf package though...

Nik
Old 20 July 2007, 10:18 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just redex the thing the VW diesels have a problem with injectors, at around the 150k mile mark they can clog and that knackers them up (known a few people with skoda/vw who have had this problem) so you just need to add a full bottle of redex to keep em clear

Tony
Old 20 July 2007, 12:09 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

Originally Posted by worley
Good choice of car for the engine, I had the PD150 that had 155kmiles of hard driving over 3 years. The engine was fine when sold, but the drive train had loosened some what over time.

Don't expect fireworks from the Golf package though...

Nik
Drive Train???? whats does that do/how does it affect the car

So a car with 130,000/140,000 miles on the clock could be ok, i thought it'd be falling apart by then TBH.
Just concerns me buying a car with that many miles on the clock

Thanks for the replys
Old 21 July 2007, 09:04 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure it has been serviced properly, not just any backstreet as they may not have used the correct oil, these PD engines need full synthetic to the correct specification otherwise the injector cam lobes wear and deposit swarf (metal bits) into the oil and bugger the engine, very tough on the oil these engines so they need the right stuff, not just Castrol GTX Magnatec like my local garage tried to put in our Sharan PD, ffs I though garages were meant to know more than the customer.

Check out some of the half million mile Octavia taxi's still going strong, ask the driver the secret of the long life and they all say, get it serviced regularly.

So, a hundred thousand miler ex company, serviced on the dot car is better than a 50k privately owned never serviced one.

Gearboxes are strong on these, rarely give trouble, the clutches can, especially if it has been chipped at any time (try to buy a standard one).

Engine mounts can be tired with mileage, mainly due to the torque of the thing trying to spin itself round in the engine bay.

Brakes might be knackered but they are reasonably cheap and easy to do. ditto suspension, they arent that great to begin with and get floaty with age, new set of dampers cures this and makes it feel new again, couple of hundred quid.

Trim and bodywork wear well but is the most difficult thing to sort if ropey, walk away if its knocked about or the interior is manky.
Old 01 August 2007, 10:00 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

i'm thinking about getting one of these.

How much difference is there in spec between the 130 and 150? apart from the performance..

Cheers
G.
Old 01 August 2007, 10:23 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

General opinion is that the 130 engine is more refined than the 150 (which really is very agricultural) - Many chip 130s instead of getting the 150.
Handling is pretty dire as standard but can be sorted fairly easily.
Old 01 August 2007, 11:13 AM
jonnyh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
150 has a front mount intercooler and different internals i think.

If serviced properly the engine will be the last thing to go in most new cars now.

Thats spot on. Its suspension / steering and stuff like wheel bearings / alternators that you need to worry about. Replacing ABS sensors and brake components can get expensive as well.
Old 01 August 2007, 12:59 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

You have to learn to ignore the mileage on a well kept (and by that I mean serviced) turbo diesel, particularly popular euro ones. Plenty of people I know on the continent dont blink at buying cars with 150k+ miles on them providing they are serviced. Incidentally a good thrash does a diesel a lot of good. Years back people were always concerned about 100k cars (mainly petrol) but doesnt really apply for modern diesels and yet loads of co car schemes still change cars at 60k ......... mad.
Old 01 August 2007, 10:28 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Don't get a Golf, get a Bora unless you MUST have a hatch. I'd sell you my 51 plate Bora Sport 130PD with 75000 miles on it for £4500.
Old 02 August 2007, 04:47 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Don't get a Golf, get a Bora unless you MUST have a hatch. I'd sell you my 51 plate Bora Sport 130PD with 75000 miles on it for £4500.
I paid a premium to have a more stylish car, which holds it's value better and will be easier to sell when I want to get rid of it!

The Golfs are fine, but with all the high milers, the bushes wear and make the handling a bit sloppy. Pay special attention to the front suspension top mounts, which are a common fault and are an MOT failure if left.
Old 02 August 2007, 10:07 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
I paid a premium to have a more stylish car, which holds it's value better and will be easier to sell when I want to get rid of it!

And then you went and spoiled it all, by doing something stupid like buying a Forester
Old 03 August 2007, 06:41 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular