99-00 Audi RS4 Avant --V-- 02-03 BMW M3 E46

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2007, 11:11 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 99-00 Audi RS4 Avant --V-- 02-03 BMW M3 E46

20-24k to play with..

Two options - other possibles (Evo) but sticking with these for the moment.
Audi
2000-2001 Plate Audi RS4 Avant , all the toys & FASH (possibly some MTM tuned also on the radar) can deliver for 19k-24k depending on 50k - 80k range

Beemer
2002-2003 M3, various stages of spec but overall 40k-60k examples sitting at around the 20k-24k range
Audi... ultimate family car, nippy, hopefully still good residuals tuned to around 500bhp easily..

Beemer... not so family orientated but RWD which would be a laugh and carbon airbox should give me a smile when working through the gears.. Grey with CSL rims about perfect IMO

So... two different options.. torn... no real need for luggage capacity apart from telling myself it's the 'sensible' choice.. the engine and tuning potential always tempted me - could deliver a 02 plate 4.2 S4 for the same kind of money.. hmm..

M3... drop like a stone when the new one comes out or still a good residual purchase...?

Not sure.... thoughts please... searching too I know this one has probably been done to death..

Last edited by SCOOBYD00; 03 July 2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03 July 2007, 11:36 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go for the RS4.
Old 03 July 2007, 11:55 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Hi

I am a big fan of both car's so it really is a win win situation.....

M3's are reasonable to run, pretty reliable, has the better chassis of the two, looks great, easy to find a nice one.

RS4's are expensive all round and by 80k you are looking at potential box and diff rebuilds depending on the history, brakes are a few grand to replace and finding a nice one is hard and they are usually top money on that basis.

It is more of a point and shoot experience and they are pretty quick in standard guise - mods take you to beyond 420hp, 500hp is achievable but I would be cautious.

If you are more of an Evo/Scooby lover I think the RS4 is for you - it is aggressive when you need it to be, but subtle when you want it to be.
Old 03 July 2007, 02:29 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Just found this by JC in this weeks Times - M3 comment made me chuckle...

"When you drive into a village these days there is often an electronic sign that flashes on to tell you how fast you’re going. That’s very useful . . . but not half as useful as a sign to tell you how much of a berk you look.

I even have a name for such a device: a ****-o-meter. The idea being that it would process an image of your face, your hair and your clothes, and marry this information to the sort of car you’re driving. You’d then be given a score out of 10.

BMW M3s driven by people with shaved heads would get 10. Saabs driven by people in linen jackets would get maybe one or two. "
Old 03 July 2007, 02:37 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Hi

I am a big fan of both car's so it really is a win win situation.....

M3's are reasonable to run, pretty reliable, has the better chassis of the two, looks great, easy to find a nice one.

RS4's are expensive all round and by 80k you are looking at potential box and diff rebuilds depending on the history, brakes are a few grand to replace and finding a nice one is hard and they are usually top money on that basis.

It is more of a point and shoot experience and they are pretty quick in standard guise - mods take you to beyond 420hp, 500hp is achievable but I would be cautious.

If you are more of an Evo/Scooby lover I think the RS4 is for you - it is aggressive when you need it to be, but subtle when you want it to be.
True... E46 tempting me mind.. not as practical... stil la good residual purchase?
Old 04 July 2007, 10:07 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I think if you are thinking about money, the M3 will be the better car. It is a lot friendly on the wallet, and where the Audi holds it's money it will rob you on a daily basis

This may interest you, or not

YouTube - BMW M3 vs. Audi RS4 on Hockenheim
Old 04 July 2007, 11:11 AM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

I think if you are thinking about money, the M3 will be the better car. It is a lot friendly on the wallet, and where the Audi holds it's money it will rob you on a daily basis

This may interest you, or not

YouTube - BMW M3 vs. Audi RS4 on Hockenheim
Don't agree I'm afraid, RS4's with well documented history will not hit you in the pocket "on a daily basis". It's much rarer than an M3 and ultimately will hold it's money way beyond that of the M3 as they will become fewer and fewer.

An exhaust and a custom re-map will easily give you about 430-450bhp (depending on exhaust) and this does not affect reliability in any way. Brakes can be upgraded to RS6 8 pot calipers for £1200.

Just my 2p worth.
Old 04 July 2007, 11:14 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobberdoo
Don't agree I'm afraid, RS4's with well documented history will not hit you in the pocket "on a daily basis".
I think I mislead you - the RS4 will lose no money at all - but will do 15-25 mpg, will cost more to insure and potentially require a diff and box rebuild. Discs and pad's all round are costly too - that is what I meant by 'daily' basis.

Old 04 July 2007, 11:15 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Don't agree I'm afraid, RS4's with well documented history will not hit you in the pocket "on a daily basis".
the Audi holds it's money it will rob you on a daily basis ]
I think I mislead you - the RS4 will lose no money at all - but will do 15-25 mpg, will cost more to insure and potentially require a diff and box rebuild. Discs and pad's all round are costly too - that is what I meant by 'daily basis'.

Old 04 July 2007, 11:35 AM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

potentially require a diff and box rebuild.
Andy

I know about a certain problem with early cars boxes but as far as I know, this was all sorted by warranty. Audi's 4 wheel drive system is not know for any reliabilty issues (I've had several). So, don't know where you've heard about diff rebuilds. I've never met anyone who's had to rebuild a diff on an RS4. Serious BHP with violent launches "could" do that I suppose, but that's not the kind of car he's after. IMHO of course.
Old 04 July 2007, 11:42 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I've never met anyone who's had to rebuild a diff on an RS4. S
Fair enough - I only know 1 person who had one, and he had a diff and box rebuild at 80k - so there is one
Old 04 July 2007, 12:25 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

I'm also not aware of any one who has had a diff rebuilt....gearbox have been known to go but when running silly HP.
Old 04 July 2007, 08:24 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jeff Wiltshire
I'm also not aware of any one who has had a diff rebuilt....gearbox have been known to go but when running silly HP.
To be fair, the diffs must be able to cope from the factory with 380bhp so must hold much more - either way.... still undecided... lol..
Old 04 July 2007, 08:44 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I'm going to be in the same boat soon. Currently got a lightly modded S4 biturbo. The one that interests me is the RS4 tbh, primarily as BMW don't do the M5 in a Touring (can't afford the new one!! )

The extra running costs over the S4 do put me off (brakes in particular).

The interesting one is the announcement of Audi ceasing production on the new RS4 saloon. Toying with waiting a while until these come down a bit.....

Or go for an RS6 when the new one comes out - prices will drop (hopefully! )

You've got a tough choice though. Personally, I love my S4. Best car I've ever owned (sorry Subaru - that means both of my Scoobys too )

Dan