Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

RHD E39 M5 Touring Project?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2007, 10:39 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RHD E39 M5 Touring Project?

Guys,

Seriously struggling to consider a replacement for the M5, ideally I need the practicality of a touring, with the performance of the M5.

The new touring, as amazing as it is as a package, just doesn't do it for me really for a number of reasons, not least paying 75k to drive it into rocky car parks with muddy bikes in the back.

Unfortunately the E39 M5 was never built in right-hand drive, and I could not live daily with a left hooker.

So.... what are the realistic implications of buying a E39 touring shell (burnt out or similar) and then transferring the running gear, engine and interior etc. from mine to the shell?

Anyone have any idea if any parts of the basic shell and running gear are different between the saloon and the touring?

I would basically look to get the thing stripped back to metal, treated, painted in my own individual colour choice, then built back up from the ground up.

This is just the inkling of an idea at this stage, but if it proves to be realistic and not ridiculously expensive, I could definitely be tempted.

Also what will be the situation with regard to getting it registered and insured? I imagine it would just be registered as whatever the donor car was originally, but with a new engine number?

Also I don't have the garage space or tools to do this myself. Who the hell would do this kind of job and how many hours labour do you think I'm looking at?

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome. Any info I can get at this stage is invaluable!!!

Ed
Old 20 June 2007, 10:50 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect it would be easier to find a nice LHD E39 M5 Touring and convert it to RHD using your car as a donor?

Picking the best bits form each car.

Assuming you can get one, of course?
Old 20 June 2007, 10:56 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

My concern with that route is the cost of the LHD M5 and then the wastage of quality parts. Surely it would be cheaper to pick up a basic touring shell?
Old 20 June 2007, 12:59 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I think it would be a lot cheaper and more sensible to buy an RS6 again, whack 600bhp through it and then buy a caterfield for RWD fun. I think you are clutching at straws with this idea -if the M5 doesn't meet your needs then it doesn't meet your need! What about the RS4 avant? New/nearly new car, V8, e39 M5 fast (or faster) but more fun to drive and better handling than old RS4 or RS6. You can probably get them 'nearly new' for £45k (guestimate)
Old 20 June 2007, 01:24 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Is the touring shell stiff enough for the M5 running gear?

What would the car be registered as? I assume as the body and perhaps subframes would be from the touring it would have to be registered as a touring with an engine swap. Would your insurers etc be happy with that?

Would you be able to sell it?
Old 20 June 2007, 01:56 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

RS4 avant (new style) is the other option. Booking a test drive in the next 2 weeks.

I know it seems pretty mad to consider a RHD M5, but I like the idea of having something bespoke and different. I'm not too bothered about the resale as it's something I would likely drive into the ground, I mean, what could be more practical yet still amazingly fun? The limiting factor would be the cost of putting it all together, if it's going to cost more than 10k all-in, then I wouldn't consider it.

Gary, how many hours labour do you think you BMW track car will have taken from start to finish (obviously guesstimating the rest of the work to be completed.)

Have to admit, I do like the look of the RS4 Avant, but it has the same DRC system as my old RS6 which I think is going to cripple them once they all start hitting 30k miles...
Old 20 June 2007, 02:11 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edcase
RS4 avant (new style) is the other option. Booking a test drive in the next 2 weeks.

I know it seems pretty mad to consider a RHD M5, but I like the idea of having something bespoke and different. I'm not too bothered about the resale as it's something I would likely drive into the ground, I mean, what could be more practical yet still amazingly fun? The limiting factor would be the cost of putting it all together, if it's going to cost more than 10k all-in, then I wouldn't consider it.

Gary, how many hours labour do you think you BMW track car will have taken from start to finish (obviously guesstimating the rest of the work to be completed.)

Have to admit, I do like the look of the RS4 Avant, but it has the same DRC system as my old RS6 which I think is going to cripple them once they all start hitting 30k miles...
Ed,

The RS4 Touring is hardly practical.

Buy an SUV, a trailer and stick an Ariel Atom Supercharged on it.

That combo will go anywhere you want, give you a car to leave M5s standing in all but top speed and as much practicality/fun as you would want.

should be able to do the two for less than a new RS4.
Old 20 June 2007, 02:18 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Problem is a) I only have room for one car and b) It has to carry all my bike gear to alps / scotland / wales etc.

As you can imagine, the driving to and from these places is amazing, hence needing something fast, fun and preferably RWD. A pickup would be missing the point I'm afraid.
Old 20 June 2007, 02:26 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Would not a 4WD Audi (RS4, new or old one OR RS6) make more sense for scotland and the Alps. If you really want a monster take it to MTM Kim Collins.

What about one of the large Merc AMG Estates. I think they had a Estate test once in Evo Magazine - the RS6 versus the new Merc Estate AMG equivalent.
Old 20 June 2007, 02:31 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

AWD fine for 10% of the time bearing in mind it's generally summer when i am on the bike, but 90% of the time I want RWD. I adore the handing on the E39 M5, it really is amazing and does almost everything I want.

RE: Mercedes, I'm just not a fan unfortunately.
Old 20 June 2007, 02:43 PM
Infractme!
BANNED

I've never seen a LHD E39 M5 nor heard of them mass producing one. There are rumours they made a one-off for a BMw exec but other than that they don't exist. Surely you are thinking of E34?

Anyway it's a nice idea but a non starter because it will end up costing too much IMO.
Old 20 June 2007, 02:57 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Isn't there some sort of RHD Alpina 5-series Touring that's M5 fast?
I wondered about an Alpina. Quite rare, but surely easier than building an RHD M5 estate. I think the d10 is the right size for you but I'm not an expert on this stuff.
Old 20 June 2007, 02:58 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infractme!
I've never seen a LHD E39 M5 nor heard of them mass producing one. There are rumours they made a one-off for a BMw exec but other than that they don't exist. Surely you are thinking of E34?

Anyway it's a nice idea but a non starter because it will end up costing too much IMO.
They definitely exist, I know someone who has one. They also pop up on pistonheads occassionally.
Old 20 June 2007, 03:18 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

If they do exist then wouldn't it be cheaper to convert a LHD M5 touring (as previously suggested) and use a wrecked RHD M5 for the parts? Then sell on your M5
Old 20 June 2007, 03:29 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
If they do exist then wouldn't it be cheaper to convert a LHD M5 touring (as previously suggested) and use a wrecked RHD M5 for the parts? Then sell on your M5
Possibly, that's what I am trying to ascertain. The problem is the cost of a good LHD in the first place. My E39 M5 has had new almost everything, new engine, clutch, brakes, wheels, you name it. I know it's all top notch. I don't want to buy an LHD M5 that's spent its life at the ring then lunches a 15k engine 6 months into my ownership.
Old 20 June 2007, 03:29 PM
Infractme!
BANNED

They definitely exist, I know someone who has one. They also pop up on pistonheads occassionally.
You are absolutley sure you are talking about the same body shape as your E39?

E34 certainly but while I'm no expert I do have a good knowledge of M cars, particularly LHD models.

Please take a picture of your friends car and engine bay if possible, I'd be fascinated to see it.

I knew this anyway due to my 'M' connection but here's a link in case you're finding what I'm saying hard to digest.

BMW M Registry - FAQ E39 M5

Maybe your friend owns the prototype?

Last edited by Infractme!; 20 June 2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 20 June 2007, 03:30 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Also just because they exist doesn't mean it's easy to find one!!
Old 20 June 2007, 03:36 PM
Infractme!
BANNED

Something that may interest you further down the page. This car was supposedly built by a BMW tech ie not a production car.

E39 M5 Wagon Pics Are Here! - Page 2 - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)
Old 20 June 2007, 03:39 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I have owned several M Cars including E30 m3 e28 m5 e34 m5 and could be considered an m enthusiast. I have never heard of or seen an e39 m5 lhd tourer i'm pretty sur you are mistaken. Does your car e39 m5 saloon have a 6 cylinder or is it a V8 if you don't mind me asking ?

Liam
Old 20 June 2007, 03:43 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

V8
Old 20 June 2007, 03:46 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Hmm, I just googled and you might just be right, maybe it's an E34 Touring after all?

I'm almost more tempted to do it now!
Old 20 June 2007, 03:54 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Right, apparently the 540i wagon has the same tranny and suspension as the M5, that blue one on the link on page 1 was a 540i with the M5 block and cosmetics swapped over.
Old 20 June 2007, 03:55 PM
Infractme!
BANNED

Personally I'd go for a mint LHD E34 Touring. Easily within your budget and LHD is no problem whatsoever. I can't imagine a circumstance where it would be unless you spend your whole motoring life at MuckDonald's 'drive-thru'
Old 20 June 2007, 03:57 PM
Infractme!
BANNED

Right, apparently the 540i wagon has the same tranny and suspension as the M5, that blue one on the link on page 1 was a 540i with the M5 block and cosmetics swapped over.
E39 540 touring is self-levelling rear though isn't it? Plus manual tourings are pretty difficult to find- although not as hard as an E39 M5 touring.
Old 20 June 2007, 04:00 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Well your's is def e39 nice car. As far as the conversion goes i would def get a V8 touring as oposed to something that has a six cylinder an old 540 say. The m engine is not as most people think derived from the 540 lump it was developed separetly by the m division and is a totally different engine. So i would bank on fabricating engine mountings.
Old 20 June 2007, 04:01 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infractme!
Personally I'd go for a mint LHD E34 Touring. Easily within your budget and LHD is no problem whatsoever. I can't imagine a circumstance where it would be unless you spend your whole motoring life at MuckDonald's 'drive-thru'
Overtaking on b-roads?
Old 20 June 2007, 04:04 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

No reason why you can't run normal shocks in place of the self levelling system.
Old 20 June 2007, 04:06 PM
Infractme!
BANNED

Overtaking on b-roads?
Do it all the time. Consdering you'll have double the BHP of most other cars it really isn't a problem. In fact it will probably hone and improve your driving skills from their current level.

Quick Reply: RHD E39 M5 Touring Project?