Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mk4 Golf R32

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2007, 12:08 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk4 Golf R32

This car was mentioned in another thread and I'm just looking for opinions and comments on it.
I owned one up until the start of this year and to date it is the best car I have run (don't get me wrong my current 05 Sti PPP is brilliant and does exactly what it says on the tin and is surprisingly user friendly day to day)! I liked the subtle but purposeful looks, the luxurious equipment levels and interior and I also liked its performance. I never found the handling a big issue either, although it was criticised for not being better! As for the sound of that narrow angle V6...sublime, I hardly ever used the fancy stereo, I was to busy listening to the engine!! Managed to get between 20 and 32 mpg as well although average was around 25, not bad for a 3.2l V6 with 237bhp. I did not have any major issues with the car's reliability but found having to take it to the dealers every 6 months to replace blown light bulbs a bit naff . I still look at them when I see them on the road and only wish they had managed to retain this with the mark 5 model, don't really notice them when they pass by.

Anyway just looking for opinions on either the mark 4 or 5. A comparison of the two would be good, from someone who has owned both?!
Old 20 June 2007, 08:06 AM
Steptoe
Scooby Regular

To be honest ive owned neither but my missus used to work at a vw main dealer and im very pally with the lads in parts there,apparantly they aren't the most reliable of golfs and prices for genuine parts are a joke,i hear people moaning about prices for jap car parts but would you shell out almost £400 for discs and pads? But they sound awesome and look the part.I'd have one!
Old 20 June 2007, 09:04 AM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

Your not wrong about part prices but a set of front discs and pads will set you back closer to £700 than £400, so your spot on, the parts are very expensive. Have to say though I had no breakdowns or failures, just wear and tear. The bulbs blowing at 6 month intervals was a real pain at £25 a time to replace. If you had one you would love it and you could get the guys you know to repair it cheap for you!

Cheers.
Old 20 June 2007, 09:23 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Lesti - Check this months Evo mag (the one with the R8 on the front) - they directly compare a mk5 R32 to a mk4 one and feelings are mixed.
If the mk5 looked as good as the mk4, I'd probably have one.

Really did like my mk4 a lot - A well known journo called it a "junior Carrera 4" - not bad!
Old 20 June 2007, 11:55 AM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

I will get right on it matt, sounds worth a look. I can understand why someone would call it a mini carrera 4, it's so well put together and with the V6 , really is a hugley under rated car! I think it is something to do with everyone expecting it to be a bit quicker than it is but it is quick enough anyway.

Les.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:32 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I guess 237bhp is a bit lame from a 3.2 litre V6 but it's such easy power.

I had to have mine re-mapped by VW for an engine hesitation problem - it was called v4363 and apparently liberated a few extra horses.

Several people who had it done RR'd at 260ish bhp - Mine certainly felt very lively!