Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

My E30 Track car

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2007, 08:34 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My E30 Track car

A bit of a monster thread but it details most of the work on my project car. When finished it will life at the ring and maybe replace the 205.

My old girl is coming on slowly but surely.
She started life as a £500 325i SE

A bit of a wiring nightmare, although the stereo I took out and sold pretty much paid for the car 8)

The full leather had to go too

After I mucked it up the sunroof was removed

She was fully polybushed
A custom cage was purchased, the dash removed

We decided a heated screen was a good idea, so removed and plated the heater

Now the heater is out the ECU can be re-housed and give space for the cage tubes which go through the bulkhead to the suspension strut tops.
As the car is a 4-door the door bars wont fit past the 'B' pillars so they have been cut out and plated.

Still loads to come out of the old girl and loads to put in too. A nice set of H&R coil overs are sat upstairs ready to go on at the right time along with ARB's etc etc etc.
The she needs a full respray .........
Loads more to do and the Easter deadline is getting closer and closer

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 18 June 2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 18 June 2007, 08:35 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I have been to visit the car again today.

The custom cage is an absolute nightmare. I would suggest that at least 50% of the bars were wrong and need modification. Some were stupidly incorrect and there is no way on gods earth they will fit. Pen has been put to paper and loads of head scratching to get over problems and it is just at the point where welding can begin. This has taken AGES though. Once it in will be a msterpiece but only because of the skill of the guy doing the work for me.

This lot still has to be put in place, along with another half a dozen pieces led on the floor at the moment

Where the 'B' pillars are thicker on a 4-door car they had to be modified to allow the door bars to pass. This was done by cutting and chiselling them out, making plates to cover them, spot welding them in place, then fully welding after. This is very time consuming.

Door bar now clears

The next step is to go through the front bulk head to the suspension legs. This isn't easy as there are several layers of steel to be cut through all at an angle. This also means the ECU have to be moved. The heater has gone to give space for the ECU. The jury is still out on how hard it will be to do the front legs against the end benefits.

Next up is to remove the door cards, cut away the inner skins and plate them. New fillets also need to be made to attach the cage to the car. The ones supplied were of such thin guage they were close to useless.

The suspension has arrived from Germany. It's a set which is specifically sprung for the Nordschleife, which is good as that's where it will live.

The heated front windscreen should arrive soon.

After a couple of mods to the dash that will be off to be flocked.

The car will be going to the painters to be coated inside and out in the non too distant future........

Another update to follow.

Gary
Old 18 June 2007, 08:36 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Progress is slow, but a reasonable amount of the cage is now welded in place. Once the rest is in the welds need dressing and the car prepping for paint.

Old 18 June 2007, 08:36 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

A few more progress pictures from today.

Old 18 June 2007, 08:37 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

H&R coilover kit sprung specifically for the Nurburgring now fitted.

Parked next to my mates golf which has had more money spent on it then he cares to mention for comparison
Old 18 June 2007, 08:37 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Another update. I went to see the car again on Friday.

The cage is now in and finished. We are still unsure whether to fit the front triangulation though. I would like it in, my builder who will no doubt read this is unsure :wink: It looks like it might be very close to the accelerator pedal too 8O

The seat belt mounts are also welded in place. We have also gone for the door bars being mounted quite low. This is to hoepfully aid access which isnt great at the best of times.

We cut the dash for the cross car bar while I was there. That will go for flocking in the next couple of days.

We have decided after plenty of consultation to run standard ARB's with poly bushes in the first instance. If needs be these will be uprated in the future.

The new number plates are ready to go on

I had a sitting to find the optimum position for the seat

Next step is to get plastic windows and ally door cards made then finish prepping the car for painting.
Old 18 June 2007, 08:38 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Just been to visit the old girl again.

Not much happened over the last month due to other obligations.

The plastic windows have now been made courtesy of the local glazing company. I have gone for windows without the slide openings for the moment. I want to keep a degree of security in the car and I need to be able to partially open the window for the barrier at the 'ring' and ventilation. With that in mind we are using the winder on the drivers window and seeing if the plastic scratches or not. If it does we will put glass back in that window alone.

My new spoiler and bonnet have arrived. Thanks to TrackM3 for those 8) It was too windy to get the bonnet out so spoiler pictures only. It is led ontop of the old one for the moment, before anyone points it out :wink:

Next up is ally panelling and cutting the inner doors then a good clean up prior to painting.
Old 18 June 2007, 08:38 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Another update.

It doesn't look too much different but plenty has been done.

The cage has been filleted in position completing that phase of the build

Most of the cars trim has been removed prior to painting.

The rear spoiler (thanks TrackM3) has been fitted. To avoid having to repair the holes or grommet them we decided to trim and leave the old spoiler in place too. I quite like the look. It's hard to see in this picture

The plastic windows made cheaply at a local glazier were trial fitted and they went in quite nicely.

The doors were stripped of all un-necessary removeable weight.

Old 18 June 2007, 08:39 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Ally panel are to be used on the doors once the inners have been nibbled out. First though brackets need to be made to hold the windows in position as all the retainers have been removed.

The front drivers window needs some kind of aperture for ventilation (no heater or blower) and for access to the ticket barrier at the ring. Gareth (the guy doing most of the work) hates the land rover style sliders and the porthole versions cost around £50 each 8O We are therefore going to have a go at making something ourselves.

The heavy std bonnet was removed and replaced with this light single skin variant (thanks TrackM3 again). The weight difference is huge.

The flocked dash has arrived and looks great.

The next steps are to finish the work on the doors and prepare the inside prior to sending the car for paint.

The idea is to run the car on the standard engine until it goes bang, then we will put something more fitting in. This will give me the chance to learn the car and also save some pennies whilst we consider our options. Last week I thought I had picked up a US spec 240bhp M3 engine and box only to find it was a hoax......The likelyhood is we will go for something like a 328 or 330 depending on availability and funds.

Next update in a few weeks when hopefully it will be painted

Gary
Old 18 June 2007, 08:39 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

A short report this time.

I spent a fair of yesterday working on the beemer again.

The heated front windscreen has arrived. When the time is right we will have this professionally fitted. No point breaking it for a few quid.

My brake bias valve and bonnet pins have also arrived.

The car was moved into a bay ready to start work

My friend Jimmy arrived and set to work cheese wiring the window aerial off. This took a little elbow greese.

Next up he removed the tool box foam surrounding, that was a hell of a job too.

With the plastic windows in place and the retainers removed there is nothing to stop them falling down. brackets were made and fitted to stop this happening.

With that done we carried on with the ally door panels and nibbled the first door out. A little more came out after this picture was taken and the edges cleaned up. It is amazing just how light the door now is.

After that Gareth took to rationalising the wiring. If it had no business being there it was removed. Again the weight which came out was suprising.

I continued with scraping the tar out of the inside of the car. Something I started about 8 months ago

When the doors have been finished all that remains is for the inside to be completley cleaned and any remaining trim removed. Then it's off to the spray shop for 4 weeks. That should be happening in 2 weeks time.

While I was there I had the chance to drive another friends golf. With a circa 200-210bhp engine and properly sorted suspension and brakes this was a very nice experience. Even on Shrick (spelling) cams the car would pull cleanly from 1500rpm and I really had no need to go above about 5500rpm. I look forward to having a passneger lap in this at the ring shortly.

Next update to follow.
Old 18 June 2007, 08:40 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Another full day working on the car today. Well almost a full day the first hour was spent fixing my run around after an altercation with my mates L200

Once that was done my beast was rolled out

Ok OK so that's not it :wink:

There was loads to be done in preperation for the car going to paint in the next couple of weeks.

I started off with the angle grinder removing the various studs which are in the cabin to hold wiring looms and such like in place.

The windscreen came out. To be replaced with a heated version when the car is painted.

The back window was removed to allow me easy access to the nasty glued sound deadening in the back of the car. After alot of elbow grease and petrol this was removed.

Old 18 June 2007, 08:40 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

But will it beat an Impreza in the twisties?

Steve
Old 18 June 2007, 08:48 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Next up Gareth set about adding the final fillets for the cage. It now touchs the car at 20 points. More than enough I think

I removed the front lights

Gareth cut out the second front door card

Gareth decided that the air con cooler and fan needed investigation. It was going to be left for extra cooling, but when we saw the weight of it there was no choice but to remove it. I would suggest a 5kg saving in this area alone.

Gareth air chiseled out redundant brackets.

The seat was dummy fitted ready to sort the mountings out.

The side mounts in place it was obvious that modification was required as the mounting holes were in mid air

A bracket was made an welded in position

Finally the seat, harness and steering wheel were dummy fitted prior to being removed ready for painting.

One more full days work to fit the bonnet pins, nibble the rear doors, fit the ally door cards and a couple of other jobs ...... then it's off to the spray shop for a few coats of paint :wink:
Old 18 June 2007, 08:48 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
But will it beat an Impreza in the twisties?

Steve

Nothing can do that
Old 18 June 2007, 09:08 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow nice going Gary That should be fun around the ring
Old 18 June 2007, 09:11 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

It's been good fun Paul.
Old 18 June 2007, 09:36 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Seam welded Gary?
Old 19 June 2007, 07:14 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

No Simon it isn't
Old 19 June 2007, 07:33 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I might need more than 5 mins to read that thread
Old 19 June 2007, 08:57 AM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default quality!

whens it going to be finnished!

I did a similiar thing last year with a 325 coupe although it has to be said your effort rather shades mine. Look forward to seeing it at the ring
Old 19 June 2007, 09:31 AM
Infractme!
BANNED

I look forward to being overtaken by it when it's ready.

With all this obsession for weight saving do you make sure you've gone to the toilet before you start a lap?
Old 19 June 2007, 10:05 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Great pictures of a great project - thanks for sharing!
Old 19 June 2007, 10:24 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Awesome project!

What kind of times are you hoping for Gary???

Old 19 June 2007, 10:56 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cat7
whens it going to be finnished!

I did a similiar thing last year with a 325 coupe although it has to be said your effort rather shades mine. Look forward to seeing it at the ring

I would like to think it will be finished in time for me to get some laps in this year.
Old 19 June 2007, 10:59 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygav555
Awesome project!

What kind of times are you hoping for Gary???

I don't know to be honest and it is my only true area of concern. My current 205 laps in under 9 mins when pushed hard and with a clear track. If the E30 doesn't get close to that the engine will be being changed sooner rather than later

It's not all about time though, alot of it is about a different experience for a change I am starting out with just one seat fitted. That will give me plenty of time to learn the car without the added pressure I always put myself under with passengers
Old 19 June 2007, 12:30 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Great report and detailed pics, enjoyed reading through that
Old 19 June 2007, 01:30 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Lot of hard work going into that!
Please paint the car like the E30 touring car like below:

www.worldofstock.com/slides/TRC1563.jpg

Steve

Why can't I get the image tags right
Old 19 June 2007, 06:38 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Fantom, up until 4 or 5 weeks ago that was exactly how how the car going to be painted. Quotes in etc etc.... However I have had a good look round during my last couple of ring trips and it appears that LOADS of cars are appearing in iterations of this colour scheme.

I have spent a fair amount of time reviewing other colours and finally made my mind up. You will have to wait till it comes back from paint to see what I went for
Old 19 June 2007, 07:14 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

interesting report.
You should bring the 205 back home put back a few creature comforts and use as your run around when the BMW is left out there.
See how long you can keep it going

Look forward to seeing the BM s paint job!!

Quick Reply: My E30 Track car