Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

In Australia - I want a Ute!

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2007, 01:31 AM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Australia - I want a Ute!

So I'm over in Aus, and I'm well impressed with the cars here! Rather than putting a massive bucket exhaust on a 1.3 clio like we do here, they put them on 6 litre V8 Ute's! They sound absolutely mental!!

I had no idea Aus was so similar to America in this respect, loads of big phat cars and loads of bikes too, I wonder how expensive fuel is... The people here are the friendliest I've ever met too, I'm quite tempted to immigrate. Shame it's been pissing down with rain since I got here... (note to self, don't visit australia for a summer holiday when it's their winter).
Old 18 June 2007, 01:43 AM
k199ror
Scooby Newbie

aus and american have lots of power but dont conner to well what do you think
Old 18 June 2007, 06:10 AM
VTR Bondy
Scooby Regular

I've been lookin at emigrating there too, havin a few problems with gettin responses from them though
Old 18 June 2007, 07:17 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Probein
Shame it's been pissing down with rain since I got here... (note to self, don't visit australia for a summer holiday when it's their winter).
It's been doing exactly the same here mate for the last four/five days too, so don't worry about it.
How long are you out there for?
Old 19 June 2007, 10:46 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

indeed i was all set to buy a Ute to but then the wife decided against us emigrating !

we spent about 3 months out there early last year. cracking place and people.

Last edited by Steve Perriam; 20 June 2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 19 June 2007, 11:11 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Also a shame they have very harsh speed limits and fines!

Even our "cheapo" hire car was a 4 litre Ford Falcon when we went there!
Old 19 June 2007, 02:41 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

Spent a year in Oz, some time back, the ute's are great and mainly V6 or V8 powered. Rear wheel drive to! We had some great times trying to get off the station on dirt roads when it was raining, never been covered in so much mud before or since!
If you have an option to go and no reason to stay here, I say go for it. Great cars, great lifestyle. I'd recommend living in either the north of NSW or the southern regions of Queensland but anywhere is good. I went to Cairns during their winter and it was still in the high twenties, shows you how big the place is!
Old 20 June 2007, 11:11 AM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Old 24 June 2007, 01:56 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Ute = utility = a pick-up ??

Anyhoo, did USA, NZ, Oz then Japan last year (over 6 months).

Fave place was NZ, possibly because of the great bunch of fellow travellers I met as well as the stunning scenery !

Aus was great too. Nice folk as you say (apart from my stroppy female dive instructor on the barrier reef !) and the trip from Melbourne to Cairns was certainly the highlight of my trip for partying and girls !

..........ah, memories on a rainy Sunday afternoon in Scotland !

Andy Mc
Old 25 June 2007, 11:15 AM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

Yeah Andy I hear you mate. What a great experience going over there with not a care in the world!! I did suba diving also on the barrier reef taking my open water then advanced ticket. Dived on the SS Yongala in Oz (?) and the Rainbow Warrior in the bay of islands in NZ. Didn't think wreck diving would be any good but it was amazing.
Went to NZ also for a few months, was a great place and as you say very scenic. Oz was much better for fun though! I think it depends on who you meet up with and where really, both awesome in their own right or as they say in NZ.... "choice"!

Les.
Old 25 June 2007, 11:27 AM
monkeysan
Scooby Regular

if you have a trade (joiner, plumber etc) the aussies will welcome you with open arms!

i'd agree on NZ over Aus - people are great and the modifying/racing scene is amazing
Old 26 June 2007, 10:41 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by k199ror
aus and american have lots of power but dont conner to well what do you think
Not quite true, the home brewed Aussie cars like the Falcon and Commodore handle a lot better than their American equivalents.

The Commodore and Monaro both received rave reviews from the British press Especially the HRT/VXR versions

In 2003, when I was last over there, a dollar bought you roughly the same amount of fuel as a quid, but the exchange rate was nearly $3Aus to £1
Old 26 June 2007, 10:51 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Not quite true, the home brewed Aussie cars like the Falcon and Commodore handle a lot better than their American equivalents.

The Commodore and Monaro both received rave reviews from the British press Especially the HRT/VXR versions

In 2003, when I was last over there, a dollar bought you roughly the same amount of fuel as a quid, but the exchange rate was nearly $3Aus to £1
Their local car magazines (Motor and Wheels) were comparing one of the HSV's to the M5 and were getting equivalent lap-times.