Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

The new Passat 2.0tdi (170) sport

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2007, 03:08 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new Passat 2.0tdi (170) sport

Anyone driven one ?. Tempting to jump out my car allowance and get a car well within my grade and tempted with one of these, having looked at one up close and personal. It was screwed together better than an A4, and was a really nice place to be, with a very fresh and modern feel to it.

However when I told the dealership the company would likely be going lease hire route if I got one, they wouldn't let me test drive one. Which I feel is bang out of order.

But anyway has anyone driven a 170 ?. Having driven the firms 130 older passats which go pretty well. I would be expecting fairly good things from it. Not just looking for how quick they feel / go , but how nice or not as the case may be was the drive.

Cheers
Rob
Old 07 June 2007, 04:19 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

One will be on my test drive list soon 'cos my company B5.5 Passat is retiring with honours Great mile muncher but it's not a driver's car.

According to the road test figures and the owner's reports I've seen, the difference between the 170 and 140 motors isn't very much on the road ... some reports have criticised the 170 power delivery for being a bit off / on.

The test track figs show the 140 to actually be a bit quicker in the gears, maybe the gearing is different.
Old 07 June 2007, 04:50 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Thats intersting to here what you say about the 140/170 and helps me a little. As the other car on my list is a A4 t.0TDI (140) same engine as in the (140)passat. The draw of the extra 30bhp and less P11D value was appealing. But sounds like I do need to drive a 170 and a 140.

If there isn't much between it - I would be tempted to go away from the passat and go with the badge of the A4, and put all the s-line extras on it.
Old 07 June 2007, 05:14 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

new a4 is nicer than the new passat in my opinion
Old 07 June 2007, 05:22 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevey
new a4 is nicer than the new passat in my opinion

Externally the A4 with sline extras looks fantastic and way better than the passat I would agree, but Audi haven' really done much with the interior space for the last 3-4 years and looks pretty much the same as say an 02/03 A4. Where as the passat looks a bit boring from the outside the inside is bang up to date.

If there isn't much between it in terms of power from a 140 or 170 I would be leaning towards the Audi now though.

It just needs to be quick enough, I already have a toy so guess the 140 A4 Sline it looking like the one to go for even with the slightly dated interior.
Old 07 June 2007, 05:32 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

currently have a a4 140 tdi se --- replacement car time I have ordered a a4 140 tdi s-line What I was really impressed with is when someone hit me at 70mph in the rear - no one hurt and the car was driveable and repaired easily.

have drive the passet as they are on our list - hated the quality and layout inside - found the audi more pratical.

but then again also driven one of the BMW 120d but hated that.
Old 07 June 2007, 06:48 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

S-line - Posh Audi Chavving.
Old 07 June 2007, 07:16 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
S-line - Posh Audi Chavving.
Not really-still very discreet compared to the likes of Civic type r, focus st and Astra vxr- now if anything looks "chav", those cars do and dont exactly come across as "classy".
Back on topic, having driven both 140 & 170 tdi, the extra for the 170 really isnt worth it imo. I know the 0-60 is listed as about 1sec quicker but they feel hardly any different on the road. The 170 is definately more vocal with slightly higher fuel consumption as well.

Last edited by mattvortex; 07 June 2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to add!
Old 07 June 2007, 07:42 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

@MattVortex, interesting, you're the third person I've seen who's said that.

I've checked road test figs from Autocar etc, and it seems the only VAG car with the PD170 diesel that's REALLY quicker than cars with the PD140 (and the old 130s) is the Octavia vRS, the in-gear figures for that are very quick indeed.
Old 07 June 2007, 10:22 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

As someone that ACTUALLY owns an A3 S-Line with a TDi 170PS engine ............

It is alot smoother to drive than the 140PS engine. They are completely different beasts and I went for the 170ps engine for the extra performance. I test drove an A3 with both engines for a few hours each on the same day. The 170PS engine pulls well from 1400rpm and all hell breaks loose at 2000rpm until about 4200rpm. After owning my WRX the A3 hasn't left me feeling as though I'm missing out and needing more power. I've had fun with 140PS owners and believe me there is quite a difference and I've not been overtaken under any conditions. Other drivers have assumed I was running a chipped 140PS when chatting to them.

Have an extended test drive in a type of car that has the two engines, you'll soon see a marked difference in performance and the way that performance is delivered.

The 140PS engine sounds rougher but will deliver alot better mpg (50+) than the 170PS which in real world driving delivers early 40's mpg and will not achieve book figures..

My neighbour has just bought a Passat TDi 170 in metallic black and it looks superb against the chrome trim and I think its looks classier than an A4.

Robevo5 ...... test drive a 170PS TDi Passat ......... you'll be grinning all the way!
Old 07 June 2007, 10:25 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Coupe - how does the A3 (assuming it's FWD not quattro) cope with the torque?
The Astra has a pretty good chassis but 150bhp/235 lbs.ft does cause some front wheel mischief on occasions.
Old 07 June 2007, 10:30 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Coupe - how does the A3 (assuming it's FWD not quattro) cope with the torque?
The Astra has a pretty good chassis but 150bhp/235 lbs.ft does cause some front wheel mischief on occasions.
Wish I gone for the Quattro is the simple answer!!

On the Continental tyres it came with (running 225/40 R18's)in the wet ....... giving the acclerator a good stab in 1st, 2nd and 3rd would invoke wheel spin/traction control. A quick get away at a junction or roundabout was not possible without wheel spin and looking like a boy racer.
In the dry the only time the front wheel spin is under heavy acceleration and hitting a pronounced bump in the road. They only lasted 12k with me doing 75% motorway driving.

I have since put Michelin PS2's on and these are ALOT better in the wet in coping with the wallop of torque at 2000rpm and enhance the handling all round.

Last edited by Coupe-Se; 07 June 2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07 June 2007, 10:36 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I've got Contis all round (225 45 17" Sportcontact 2s) and they don't last long BUT they are unbeatable in the rain. Had Michelin PS2s on the R32 (previous car) and rated them in the dry but not so hot in seriously wet conditions. I actually credit them with saving our lives (me and wife) when a car aquaplaned less than 20ft from us, smashed into the central reservation at 80mph and careered into our path but our car remained under complete control and we steered out of trouble.

I often set off the TCS light and still spin the wheels occasionally!
Just curious to know how well a FWD car copes with more torque - As with bhp, their must be a limit to what a FWD chassis, however good, a car can take.
Could have "tuning boxed" mine to 205bhp/310lbsft for very little money but I decided the chassis would struggle and the clutch/gearbox would probably die!
Hills are great fun though - very little can keep up with a pokey soot chucker!

Last edited by Matteeboy; 07 June 2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07 June 2007, 10:47 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Hills are great fun though - very little can keep up with a pokey soot chucker!
Yep and so many other drivers really don't realise this fact, which makes it all the funnier when you pass them effortlessly accelerating up the hill.
What made me loom at a quick diesel was an incident when an old guy in a 330d BMW made my WRX look like a 1.2 Fiesta and I was red lining it in every gear.

It looks like the only reliable remap for the VAG TDi 170PS engine will give 200bhp (Superchips I believe) and about 15% more torque due to DPF issues. Alot of tuning companies have tried but all hit this issue.
Old 08 June 2007, 09:42 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Big thing that you might not know. The Audi 2.0 TDI 170 engine is completely different to the VW Passat 2.0 TDI 170.............

The Audi is a Common-Rail engine, the VW uses Pumpe-Duse injectors. What goes for Audi doesn't necessarily hold true for VW.

Don't ask how I know, but after a lot of phone calls to both Audi and VW it is true.
Old 08 June 2007, 10:09 AM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
Big thing that you might not know. The Audi 2.0 TDI 170 engine is completely different to the VW Passat 2.0 TDI 170.............
Sounds like I am going to have to try both which isn't as easy as you would think. I will have to lie and tell VW I am looking to buy from them in order to get a test drive.

The passat is more practical for me and can carry 3 kids in the back with comfort as well as a decent sized boot. But I do like the Posh Chav'd A4 in terms of its looks. The Passat is a fair few £K less in terms of its P11D value as well. So would be paying less tax.

As you can see I am really undecided and keeping bouncing between the 2, I think its a case of heart ruleing over the head, and in consideration this car will be the sensible family car and I can still have a toy. I think the passat is beginning to make more sense.

I here what someone else said above with regards to diesal power and I am defo a convert. If it was my only car I would think twice but as a fast, economical, v.comfortable family car, it makes perfect sense to me.
Old 08 June 2007, 10:20 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Do the tax calculation - it may not be as much per month as you think. I was quite suprised how little it was going to be going from the se to "chav" s-line

that reminds me - need to get the cap for when I get the s-line
Old 08 June 2007, 10:33 AM
Andrew_P
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Reffro

The Audi is a Common-Rail engine, the VW uses Pumpe-Duse injectors. What goes for Audi doesn't necessarily hold true for VW.

Don't ask how I know, but after a lot of phone calls to both Audi and VW it is true.

Simply not true, and proves how technically minded customer service operators are. All VAG group 170 TDI engines are the same and use PD injectors. How much business sense would it make otherwise? Common rail engines will come later.

A
Old 08 June 2007, 11:53 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

The engine specs on the Audi website contradict themselves in the same sentence ... the PD170 is, and I quote:

"Common rail direct injection with piezo injectors"

It can't be common rail AND direct injection ... I thought the 170s were last-of-the-PDs with piezo-pumpedeuse injectors.
Old 08 June 2007, 12:37 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew_P
Simply not true, and proves how technically minded customer service operators are. All VAG group 170 TDI engines are the same and use PD injectors. How much business sense would it make otherwise? Common rail engines will come later.

A
It makes no sense but I am very much correct.

Audi use common-rail with piezo injectors
VW Seat and Skoda, use a either plain PD injectors or Piezo PD injectors.

All three types are found on the 2.0 TDI 170........

It took a lot of checking to establish this, but it is correct.