Before I test them

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2007, 12:59 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I test them

I'm looking at the BMW 1 series.

Looks like a toss up between the 118d and the 120d.

120 is quicker, economy not so good as expected but about 2k more.

I can get a decent discount and I'm going to test them both. I was wondering if anyone had one or other and there thoughts on them. I imagine the 120d is more sought and therefore going to have a stronger residual?

Any thoughts?
Old 30 April 2007, 01:12 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I think they are both 2.0 litre - I don't think residuals will be effected, only the initial outlay and maybe insurance will be the downside. I would be happy with either, but I have just got the 5hitter of 5hiters to drive, and quite frankly most things are better than my car.............

How well off are you?
Old 30 April 2007, 08:31 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Overall they are very good cars.

The 2 main downsides are lack of rear leg room and firm ride on sports models.

Other than that they are very good, been happy with mine other than the 2 above points but we hardly use the back seats as we dont have kids etc and I am used to the firm ride now I guess.

The chassis is brilliant, I have the 130i and it can easily cope with 265bhp.
The 6 speed box is sweet and the brakes are good. Build quality is good IME, but some people say they are not as good as a 3 series.

I went for a 1 series after I got a 120d as a courtesy car from Porsche...
Old 30 April 2007, 10:59 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

VAG diesels will run rings around you...
Old 01 May 2007, 09:02 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
In what way exactly?
Old 01 May 2007, 12:35 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

yes indedd in what way - a golf was my other option ...
Old 01 May 2007, 12:40 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

The 120d will take some beating
Old 01 May 2007, 01:49 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Golf is terribly overpriced for what your getting. Go look at some seat leons or audi's.

The 1er is god, but not that good. A well specced leon will give just as much if not more performance for alot less.
Old 01 May 2007, 01:53 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

No they won't *******.

The BMW unit is more powerful, more refined and more efficient. The 1 series is also a significantly better drive, and the 120D is, simply, faster than the A3 or Golf in practically every measurement that matters.
Old 01 May 2007, 02:01 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Matt.

I have just sold a 120Dsport (previous generation car - 163bhp)

Also tested the VAG products, all of which were discounted as simply not being as good as the 1 Series.

both 118 and 120 have 2.0 litre engines, the 120 has bigger turbo, intercooler, internal upgrades. The new 120D has 177 bhp and nearly 260 lbs ft of torque.

Overall, my 120 was brilliant, and highly recommended. Unless you are carrying 3 adults and luggage all the time, it is by far the better car than anything VAG produces.

It is also significantly faster, and may well be the fastest production 2.0D car available just now. It is certainly, IMO, the best one to drive.

Don't listen to AudiLover - he simply regurgitates the same crap as he is incapable of rational thought.
Old 01 May 2007, 02:01 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Golf - crap interior next to the 1 series, older 140 bhp engine does 0-60 in 9 seconds and manages 51 mpg, newer 170 bhp version manages it in 7.9 but only does 47mpg.

Leon - cheaper looking all round, 140 bhp engine with the same figures above - cheap insurance group, but it's in a cheaper market sector.

BMW 1 series - 1.8 diesel does 60 mpg and 0-60 in 8.4, 120 does 54 mpg and 0-60 in 7.9. Latest (07) 120 does 57 mpg and 0.60 in 7.3. Best interior out of all three of them and best driving dynamics.

So AudiLover, still waiting to see how the VAGs "run rings" round the 1 series?
Old 01 May 2007, 02:04 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Sub,

You need to add that the VAG170 is pretty much an all or nothing unit - the BMW has the wider power band and is generally somewhat sweeter and more refined.
Old 01 May 2007, 02:07 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
No they won't *******.

The BMW unit is more powerful, more refined and more efficient. The 1 series is also a significantly better drive, and the 120D is, simply, faster than the A3 or Golf in practically every measurement that matters.
The 120d will only be faster to 60mph, however after that its VAG all the way baby as it has a better power curve and weigh less than the for some unknown reason porky beemer. Also build quality on the 1 series is poo, it looks ugly and it has got crap rear space.

Also the VAG unit is better for tuning.

Last edited by AudiLover; 01 May 2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01 May 2007, 02:07 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Sorry - duly noted
Old 01 May 2007, 02:08 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

The 120d will only be faster to 60mph, however half that its VAG all the way baby as it has a better power curve and weigh less than the for some unknown reason porky beemer. Also build quality on the 1 series is poo, it looks ugly and it has got crap rear space.

I can't even understand what you try and write, you moron.
Old 01 May 2007, 02:48 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

The 120d will only be faster to 60mph, however after that its VAG all the way baby as it has a better power curve and weigh less than the for some unknown reason porky beemer. Also build quality on the 1 series is poo, it looks ugly and it has got crap rear space.

lol

You're such a **** *******. Build quality on mine was every bit as good as the A3 and way better than the VW or Seat. The "new" 07 1 series is even better.

I think you will find that the VAG products are slower all the way.

The golf is half a second slower (at least) to 60 and 5mph lower top speed. Its emissions are significantly worse too .

The A3 3 door with the fancy DSG gearbox (the faster one) is slower to 60 than the 5 door manual BMW, and 4 mph lower top speed Its emissions also significantly worse. The 5 door A3 is slower still.

oh, and by the way, have a look at this

Four cylinders, 400 Nm: BMW's new turbo diesel - Autoblog
Old 02 May 2007, 08:32 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I don't get a discount on a Leon or Audi so they are off the list. Don't care about tuning it, on my comute I rarely get above 50.

I'm not fussed about rear space as I'll be up front driving. As for looks weel that's subjective, if I hated it I'd be looking elsewhere.

I may also consider a Renault as a I get a good discount off them and to be honest they are much more in my price range, think it's likley to be the 1er though. I like the idea of the new 120d as it's pretty quick and still best good economy, just can't get over the £1500 extra over the 118 which is still quick and even more frugal.
Old 02 May 2007, 08:43 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Is it not like most BMWs though mate, where the larger the engine, the more kit you get as standard?

Do you literally get nothing extra for your 1500 quid than the more powerful version of the 2 litre engine?
Old 02 May 2007, 09:15 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattN
I don't get a discount on a Leon or Audi so they are off the list. Don't care about tuning it, on my comute I rarely get above 50.

I'm not fussed about rear space as I'll be up front driving. As for looks weel that's subjective, if I hated it I'd be looking elsewhere.

I may also consider a Renault as a I get a good discount off them and to be honest they are much more in my price range, think it's likley to be the 1er though. I like the idea of the new 120d as it's pretty quick and still best good economy, just can't get over the £1500 extra over the 118 which is still quick and even more frugal.
Matt,

You are basically paying more for the engine, but IMO its worth it.

120D residuals will basically compensate for it anyway.

Personally, from what you've said I'd go for a 120D 3 door
Old 02 May 2007, 09:38 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you take advice from audilover who has probably never sat in any of the cars mentioned let alone owned one?
Old 02 May 2007, 12:37 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I'm not, I'm taking advice from people in the know, I was curious to see what audilover based his opinion on, to see if he had a valid point (or not).

I think the 120d is the one (pardon the pun) for me.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02 May 2007, 06:08 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Owned an 2.0tdi audi A3 (140bhp) with DSG box and did 20k miles in it.
Have had a 2 day test of a 120d M Sport Auto

Awaiting BMW as a company car.

For what its worth

Performance -

Similar speed - BMW is quicker but not massively so. Audi feels quicker than it is due to on off nature of engine

Handling - BMW noticably better - not as front heavy, better balance

MPG - similar - BMW was new so hard to compare but I suspect there would be no more than 5mpg in it (BM better)

Interior - More space in the audi at the rear and in the boot

Cost of extras - BMW is pretty cheap to spec up (lots of packages that are relativel cheap). The 5 year service deal would be a steal if you needed it

Build quality - both good. The audi I ran for 2 years had no rattles at all. Be interesting to see if the BMW matches it.

Both do a decent job IMO - BMW slightly better drive, Audi slightly better practicality and looks.

I also had a Seat Leon and whilst cheaper than the Aud, it felt it. Very good car for the money but not as good as the audi.
Old 02 May 2007, 10:45 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Unless you want 17 and 18 year olds to blast past you in their little Ibizas then get a VAG diesel!!!!!
Old 03 May 2007, 12:34 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

17 -18 year olds can do want they want. I doubt they'd get past me - it's a single track lane.
Old 04 May 2007, 07:29 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Unless you want 17 and 18 year olds to blast past you in their little Ibizas then get a VAG diesel!!!!!
From somone who has owned 2 x Seats (Petrol & Diesel Cupra's), 3X Skoda (Fabia Vrs wifes current car, Superb 2.0tdi and Octavia Vrs my current car), 2 x Golfs TDI & Gti, 2 x Audi (A3 Tdi and currently driving a 2.0 A4 company I think I am reasonable well qualified to say your talking bollocks

Like the VAG engine but no better than the beemer. This is from experience and not from magazine.
Old 04 May 2007, 07:47 PM
gillyz20let
Scooby Regular

my dad used to have a chipped 2.0tdi a6 now he has a chipped 520d and the bmw is marginly faster all the way up the power band. the power is a lot smoother in the bmw where as the audi seems more low down, but these vag engines are crap with fwd as you cant get round a bend on power without hiting the kerb and dont even bother going out in the wet...

bmw all the way, better engine, better car, better ride.
Old 04 May 2007, 10:11 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Matt, I dont have personal experience of the BMW 1 series but I did see an episode of Top Gear tonight on cable and Clarkson was slating the 130i against the new Golf R32. From what he said it seems the 1 series isn't very good if you require a car with more than 2 seats and a reasonable boot. I don't know if he's gotta a point or not but it did put me off the 1 series a bit Made me think well I'd better consider the 3 series then instead.....
Old 05 May 2007, 09:06 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I normally hate all VAG products from experience of driving many of them on road and track but my mate has bought a new A3 with the 2lt diesel lump and dsg gearbox and it really does have some grunt. That said I don't think the build is anything special and it does feel a bit jelly like going round corners.

Very comfy but not a b road blaster.

AllanB
Old 05 May 2007, 01:24 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gillyz20let
my dad used to have a chipped 2.0tdi a6 now he has a chipped 520d and the bmw is marginly faster all the way up the power band. the power is a lot smoother in the bmw where as the audi seems more low down, but these vag engines are crap with fwd as you cant get round a bend on power without hiting the kerb and dont even bother going out in the wet...

bmw all the way, better engine, better car, better ride.
well maybe if your dad wasnt a cheapskate he would have gone for quattro! You get what you pay for

Sidenote:

Audi is outselling both mercedes and BMW combined in the UK.
In germany, the A6 outsells the 5 series and the E-class. Make of it what you want
Old 05 May 2007, 03:25 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Matt. Good luck with the BMW. My wife has just collected her new BMW (not a 1 series)

As for a VAG car .... I would rather walk to work than own another VAG

Quick Reply: Before I test them