Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

took a a VXR out today

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2007, 06:05 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default took a a VXR out today

Went to my local Scooby dealer to take my 06STi in for its 10k service and took a Astra VXR out for test drive...what a nice looking car in flat red colour and it went like the clappers with a lovely pop and a bang from the exhaust when you changed gear..superb.All the gadgets included and 19inch wheels i am getting one next.Got back in the Scooby and admitted it goes like the clappers aswell but the interior etc definetly seemed inferior and dated.anyone else driven one?
Old 18 April 2007, 07:24 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

My other car is an Astra SRi Sporthatch, not in the same league as the VXR but I've driven one all the same, and yeah they're very nice cars and like you say very quick wouldn't say there much, if anything (that's noticeable) in it performance wise when compared to the Scoob, although the Scooby is definately a lot more planted on the tarmac and a hell of a lot more forgiving if you get a bit over enthusiastic with the loud pedal.

Given a choice over a VXR and the new hatchback Impreza I know which one I'd buy!
Old 18 April 2007, 08:35 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swampster
Given a choice over a VXR and the new hatchback Impreza I know which one I'd buy!
Which ?
Old 18 April 2007, 10:16 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Cars that have that much power going through the front wheels just don't seem to do it for me. If you liked it, then great, but I just could not cope with the reduced traction from fwd (trick diffs and traction control or not).
Old 18 April 2007, 11:28 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

^^^ Wot he said ^^^
Old 18 April 2007, 11:33 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Cars that have that much power going through the front wheels just don't seem to do it for me. If you liked it, then great, but I just could not cope with the reduced traction from fwd (trick diffs and traction control or not).
I've not driven a VXR Astra; I had an Astra coupe turbo before my Scooby, and the traction on that was abysmal. Slightest hint of moisture on the road and the wheels would spin up. Scoob was in a different league.
Old 18 April 2007, 11:58 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

i love the way my Cupra R understeers enough that i know where its going. Beats the VXR any day, foot to the floor, let off when you know when and the power is there, power through and temper the throttle, feels sweet.

saying that ive never driven a suped Corse
Old 19 April 2007, 12:00 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by lpski1
i love the way my Cupra R understeers enough that i know where its going. Beats the VXR any day, foot to the floor, let off when you know when and the power is there, power through and temper the throttle, feels sweet.

saying that ive never driven a suped Corse

Did you copy and paste that, Pea?
Old 19 April 2007, 12:03 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

nope, it self typed through the fingertips and subtle floor sensations of the aluminium pedals

its like a Heineken motor
Old 19 April 2007, 12:03 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leonpoole
Which ?
The VXR!

Agree with what most people say about the traction/handling etc, the scoob simply is better, it's bound to be. But don't write off the VXR, considering it's power and FWD it's not all as lary as people might assume. Sure there's torque steer, but it's not horrendous and it's like anything you adapt your driving style to cope.

Of course comparing it to the previous STi's etc there's no real comparison when looking at the VXR in it's standard form, sure it's probably nicer inside and better equipped but as a drivers car... however comparing it to the 2008 model WRX, from what I can see the VXR (handling aside) wins for me. Now that might change when the release the STi version, but on current looks etc I doubt it.
Old 19 April 2007, 12:04 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

or Ronseal !! but then, that's just me
Old 19 April 2007, 09:52 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I drive an astra regularly. I have to say it's awful in every single way, much like being punched in the head.
Old 20 April 2007, 08:19 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

The VXR is a damn fine car, very fast standard, silly fast if upgraded. Cant compare it to the other astra's, As John s said the old turbo coupe has poo traction because the traction control was so intrusive (had one before my scoobies). Dont think we should get traction and hadling mixed up tho, yes in the wet the VXR that i am running (circa 300BHP) would have no chance against a tuned scooby round corners because of fwd, but it handles just as well.
Lipski how the hell did you get 32000 posts!. And you would not believe the amount of cupra r's that have tried to have a go, all to no avail. One of the new ones as well, so not sure about beats the VXR anyday

Last edited by VXRBOY; 20 April 2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 20 April 2007, 06:15 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

[quote=powerman1;6847737]Went to my local Scooby dealer to take my 06STi in for its 10k service and took a Astra VXR out for test drive...what a nice looking car in flat red colour and it went like the clappers with a lovely pop and a bang from the exhaust when you changed gear..superb.All the gadgets included and 19inch wheels i am getting one next.Got back in the Scooby and admitted it goes like the clappers aswell but the interior etc definetly seemed inferior and dated.anyone else driven one?[/quot

each to there own i suppose but, personally could'nt give a **** about interiors- its dynamics and performance all the way that count for me! As other people have said, the vxr's only 2wd so your never have that fantastic traction in the wet or out of fast corners. And its a vauxhall.
Old 20 April 2007, 06:43 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

this is my third Scooby and you get a bit of tunnel vision towards other cars but its good to try them out and you may find there is plenty of other cars that will give the scooby a run for its money and some do have 4 wheel drive aswell
Old 20 April 2007, 09:03 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=mattvortex;6853793][quote=powerman1;6847737]Went to my local Scooby dealer to take my 06STi in for its 10k service and took a Astra VXR out for test drive...what a nice looking car in flat red colour and it went like the clappers with a lovely pop and a bang from the exhaust when you changed gear..superb.All the gadgets included and 19inch wheels i am getting one next.Got back in the Scooby and admitted it goes like the clappers aswell but the interior etc definetly seemed inferior and dated.anyone else driven one?[/quot

each to there own i suppose but, personally could'nt give a **** about interiors- its dynamics and performance all the way that count for me! As other people have said, the vxr's only 2wd so your never have that fantastic traction in the wet or out of fast corners. And its a vauxhall.[/QUOTE

I suggest you drive one yourself and then the blinkers might fall off !
Old 21 April 2007, 03:18 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

[quote=VXRBOY;6854422][quote=mattvortex;6853793]
Originally Posted by powerman1
Went to my local Scooby dealer to take my 06STi in for its 10k service and took a Astra VXR out for test drive...what a nice looking car in flat red colour and it went like the clappers with a lovely pop and a bang from the exhaust when you changed gear..superb.All the gadgets included and 19inch wheels i am getting one next.Got back in the Scooby and admitted it goes like the clappers aswell but the interior etc definetly seemed inferior and dated.anyone else driven one?[/quot

each to there own i suppose but, personally could'nt give a **** about interiors- its dynamics and performance all the way that count for me! As other people have said, the vxr's only 2wd so your never have that fantastic traction in the wet or out of fast corners. And its a vauxhall.[/QUOTE

I suggest you drive one yourself and then the blinkers might fall off !
I think your the one with the blinkers matey-you even use vxr as your username By the way, i get to drive many types of new vehicles thanks to my brothers work and the 06 plate vxr i drove for about 20 miles, a few months ago now was a nice car but certainly would'nt chop in the Impreza for one- in fact i prefered the new A3 TDI 170 S-line i drove this week to the vxr.
Old 21 April 2007, 04:21 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

Oh no your right, you must be you drove one for 20 miles
Old 21 April 2007, 05:46 PM
davecweed
Scooby Regular

vxrboy - high powered fwd cars are rubbish, face the facts, i cant be bothered to explained why, cos u should already know!
Old 21 April 2007, 06:04 PM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

Well I used tohave an ASTRA GSI Turbo which I took to Courtaney's in Norwich and upped the power to 241bhp. The car was great and I was ready to trade it in for a VXR before they were delayed due to a number of reasons.

Well bought a MYO5STI instead but did go to the garage to test drive the VXR once they got one. Ithought that if felt very small inside and the performance wasnt anything to write home about. I like the looks and i would consider one maybe but performance wise it is not as good as the STI.

I was at the Vaux dealers yesterday and they have just taken delivery of a Corsa VXR and I must say it looks the part and the dealer has invited me to test drive it next week when it has been PDI'd and registered.

I will report more then.
Old 21 April 2007, 06:42 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

each to there own i suppose but, personally could'nt give a **** about interiors- its dynamics and performance all the way that count for me! As other people have said, the vxr's only 2wd so your never have that fantastic traction in the wet or out of fast corners. And its a vauxhall.[/quote]

cant comment about the newer scoobs but out of fast corners in my classic turbo was nothing impressive ,infact it was very unimpressive ,anything near pushing the limit and it just understeered badly even with brand new tyres.
My local roads hold some good corners that i use to measure performance and my current fwd is quicker through any of these corners than my scooby was.One of my favourites is a medium fast left leading into a faster right then straightening up to a crest in the road were the car goes light,scooby was some 3/4 mph slower hitting the crest than my front driver.
Old 21 April 2007, 08:02 PM
davecweed
Scooby Regular

so wot your trying to say is fwd and 4wd are poor, and rwd everytime, yeah?
Old 22 April 2007, 12:05 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

I guess what he's saying, and definitely what I'd say is that no one configuration is always poor or always good, it depends on how you implement it. Morris Marina was rwd, not the greatest or most fun handling car I've ever driven. Super touring cars are fwd, and handle really rather well. A lot of standard UK Subarus are not actually particularly good handling cars (please note the distinction between traction and grip). Fairly safe, good traction, reasonably grippy yes, but too understeery to be particularly good handling. Obviously some Spec C's, modded cars and the like excepted. If Subarus really handled that well, there wouldn't be half the market for Eibachs, uprated ARBs, drop links, camber plates etc that there is.

For people to say "can't be as good as my car cos it's not 4wd" is at best somewhat naive and arrogant. I'm not saying an Astra VXR will outhandle a scoob, as I haven't driven a VXR yet. I'd also suggest that people shouldn't assume it won't without having driven one. A driver of a standard UK Turbo/WRX with the cr8ppy factory geometry might deny this, but would find that a standard MG ZS is a better handling car in many situations (to use MG driver's example). Most if not all who deny it haven't driven both properly.
Old 22 April 2007, 12:42 AM
nufc1892
Scooby Regular

Get a grip man,scoobs are the best.Stick with the ultimate,none of this other crap.
Old 22 April 2007, 10:43 AM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

To clarify again, i love 4wd traction because you can put the power down in all weathers- i know its as dry as the sahara at the moment but, we tend to have very wet autumn/winters in the uk and thats when i appreciate the 4wd traction the most.
Many years ago, i used to own a Clio williams that was great in the dry and poor when the roads were wet and i frequently ended up pointing the wrong way down the road! I also hate the wheelspin you get in fwd cars, when giving at beans from rest or in the wet-just spinning away the power-not good.
Old 22 April 2007, 10:08 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nufc1892
Get a grip man,scoobs are the best.Stick with the ultimate,none of this other crap.
Take your blinkers off and try different cars on a test drive you may well be suprised.As i said in my earlier post I have had three scoobs from 2000 onwards and until i had driven the VXR i didnt realise how good other cars really are and yes I wont just buy another scoob because everyone says its the best i am going to test drive a few contenders next time and make decision accordingley
Old 22 April 2007, 11:30 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nufc1892
Dependent on who you believe, "the ultimate" is probably a Veyron, or a Zonda, an Enzo or a Carrera GT. I don't think any sane person would consider a scoob to be "the ultimate". But to be fair statements such as "scoobs are the best and nothing else can compete" don't sound like the ramblings of a sane man.
Old 22 April 2007, 11:41 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Get a grip lads - it's a bloody Vauxhall!
Old 23 April 2007, 08:53 AM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Get a grip lads - it's a bloody Vauxhall!
nothing to do with the make,its how it drives that counts.The impreza is the only car in the Subaru range that has any street cred and only in its turbo form and if you drove a Justy you could hardly boost about owning a Subaru...sorry any justy owners but just trying to make a point to Mr banana
Old 23 April 2007, 09:31 AM
DarrenESanders
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
I guess what he's saying, and definitely what I'd say is that no one configuration is always poor or always good, it depends on how you implement it. Morris Marina was rwd, not the greatest or most fun handling car I've ever driven. Super touring cars are fwd, and handle really rather well. A lot of standard UK Subarus are not actually particularly good handling cars (please note the distinction between traction and grip). Fairly safe, good traction, reasonably grippy yes, but too understeery to be particularly good handling. Obviously some Spec C's, modded cars and the like excepted. If Subarus really handled that well, there wouldn't be half the market for Eibachs, uprated ARBs, drop links, camber plates etc that there is.

For people to say "can't be as good as my car cos it's not 4wd" is at best somewhat naive and arrogant. I'm not saying an Astra VXR will outhandle a scoob, as I haven't driven a VXR yet. I'd also suggest that people shouldn't assume it won't without having driven one. A driver of a standard UK Turbo/WRX with the cr8ppy factory geometry might deny this, but would find that a standard MG ZS is a better handling car in many situations (to use MG driver's example). Most if not all who deny it haven't driven both properly.

This is spot on, I have a standard 03 WRX at the moment and it does not handle as well as a mondeo ST24 i had a few years ago. The WRX is probably faster around the bends and defo in a straight line due to its AWD traction and i have adjusted my driving to suit my Scooby.

I plan to get the suspension and links sorted soon too, then I will be happy with the scooby 110% rather than the 99% at the moment.

Wife has a Zafira GSI which is great in a straight line and OK around corners but a bloody handful in the wet.

You pays your money and takes your choice. The Scooby with modification is the bester drivers car for sure!!

I only have a WRX as i needed a Wagon. Praying every night they can make the 2008 STi look good as it would suite me better. But i think my prayers will not be answered.

Quick Reply: took a a VXR out today