Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

s2000 running costs

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2007, 11:17 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 running costs

whatre these like to run? and are they quite easy to drive for people not used to rwd? thinking about buying one for my other half and being able to enjoy some vtec fun for myself now and again
Old 04 April 2007, 11:21 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

group 20 insurance and also in band g,about the same as an sti i'd think or very little in it.
Old 04 April 2007, 11:42 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

no s2000 expert, but there are quite a few reports in the press of the original s2000 being twitchy in the wet. I believe later versions were more easily controlled.

I am sure someone else will come along in a bit to give you more info.
Old 04 April 2007, 11:43 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

My missus drives one ,and she is no Stig ,it will only go as fast as you push it.
Old 04 April 2007, 11:50 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

*Taps foot*

How long has this thread been up ???

SB
Old 05 April 2007, 11:32 AM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

I went from a classic to the MY00 S2000. Yes it can be twitchy in the wet, but only when hammering it and Vtec cutting in. If you're sensible and keep it below 6,000rpm then theres no real danger. As said before, late models (MY02 and then MY04) had suspension revisions so they were less twitchy.

A friend has an MY03 STI with PPP and he said that he couldn't shake one off his tail. It didn't gain on him, yet he didn't pull away either. They are faster than they feel.

Vtec isn't such a shunt in the back as my classic. If coming from a newage I believe that the turbo 'push' is less obvious than a classic, so the difference may be less going to Vtec?

All in all a fantastic car which is quick and has a fantastic reliability record. Keep their prices as well!

Nick.
Old 05 April 2007, 12:42 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL @ STi-04

They are only twitchy if you don't respect them. Gun it with some lock on round a greasy roundabout and the rear is going to brake away. It's controllable but most people panic and lift or brake which makes a real mess of things and the car generally stops only when it hits something!!

In the wet if you drive normally you'll be fine and similarly if you really push it you'll probably be fine as well. The S2000 is dangerous in the wet when you are pressing on but not really in fast driving mode. Sort of like when you are in 'car is an a-b machine mode' but you are late for a meeting. Driving like this is asking for trouble as you are not concentrating but carrying a fair bit of speed and aggression.

As always on Scoobynet I'll assume you own/have owned an Impreza. Compared to a scooby the running costs are massively different. The S2000 is lighter on fuel and other consumables and much cheaper to service with longer intervals. It is a little more to insure generally as they get binned a lot by people that can't drive them

With the exception of go-carts like the Elise the S2000 provides outstanding speed and enjoyment for your money. You really don't feel like you are paying a premium for a performance car like you do with the Impreza.

As for the way it drives, etc search any topic I've contributed so with 'S2000' in it and you'll find plenty to read
Old 05 April 2007, 08:09 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I have owned an S2000 and its about the only car I would consider owning again!!

It was a fantastic experience!!!

I had never driven a rear wheel drive car b4 and I did almost lose it a couple of times on cornering and a roundabout. TBH it was my ignorance about how to drive RWD rather than the cars fault!

I think the phrase "Treat it with respect" goes along way

It was great fun, and whipping the roof down in 6 secs meant going topless in a traffic light queue was a piece of cake

I think every petrolhead should try something of a similar style i.e pure RWD, topless, not too much nannying and a bit of poke
Old 05 April 2007, 08:26 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Im with Saxo, you only crash them if you are a **** driver!

We both had ours for quite a while, no issues, and both came from awd. Now both back to AWD
Old 05 April 2007, 09:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I prefer rwd though..........most of the time. Truth be know I think I'd like something like a new RS4 as a daily driver, 4wd, fast, refined, classy and a RWD car for fun
Old 05 April 2007, 09:07 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I prefer rwd though..........most of the time. Truth be know I think I'd like something like a new RS4 as a daily driver, 4wd, fast, refined, classy and a RWD car for fun
So you don't fancy a 911 4S to fit both requirements Kenny ?

Andy
Old 05 April 2007, 09:45 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

thanks for the feedback guys,an early one would fit the price bracket but the newer ones are supposed to handle better. im trying to have my cake and eat it, if i can persuade my other half to contribute to it as her car i keep my sti and get some topless fun when i want it. i mean the car of course. got to say youve got the right idea kenny,every now and again i sneak the keys to my dads rs4 when his backs turned,love that v8 noise. hmm,topless,rwd,v8 fun- wonder if shed like a tvr
Old 05 April 2007, 09:51 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I had a MY00 and it was great fun

Not tried a later one but the suspension mods sound a bit gay
Old 05 April 2007, 09:59 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

well it is for a girlie! the only rwd ive driven is a 330d touring- which i felt a bit nervous about trying to slide. other than that mitsubishi shoguns and pickups are my experience- now you should see peoples faces when you get that sideways on a roundabout the new l200s do it surprisingly well!
Old 05 April 2007, 10:04 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I hate you - you are thinking of buying an S2000 and have access to a new RS4!
Old 05 April 2007, 10:16 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

only till he realises the spare keys are missing
i think the insurance may kill the s2000 though girlfriends only 21. but then again females do get a criminally good reduction!
Old 05 April 2007, 11:20 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby222
only till he realises the spare keys are missing
i think the insurance may kill the s2000 though girlfriends only 21. but then again females do get a criminally good reduction!
I'd imagine its going to be expensive at 21 even if she is a laydeeeeeee
Old 06 April 2007, 12:05 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yeah, my lass is 24 and bumped the premium up by a few hundred. It was worth it though so I could get blind drunk and make her drive us home
Old 06 April 2007, 12:23 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Yeah, my lass is 24 and bumped the premium up by a few hundred. It was worth it though so I could get blind drunk and make her drive us home

LOL - the perfect woman !
Old 06 April 2007, 11:52 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Im with Saxo, you only crash them if you are a **** driver!

We both had ours for quite a while, no issues, and both came from awd. Now both back to AWD
So if u crash a 250bhp rwd car ur a ****e driver? how about the amount of people who crash scoobies!?!?! That was a bit of a stupid statement, anyone can have a crash!
Old 07 April 2007, 07:39 AM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
So if u crash a 250bhp rwd car ur a ****e driver? how about the amount of people who crash scoobies!?!?! That was a bit of a stupid statement, anyone can have a crash!
The S2000 requires skill and attention in all weather conditions, it is not forgiving, it oversteers on its limit - unlike Imprezas, Supras, M3s and many other road cars that tends to wallow wide if you go too fast or make a mistake. The S2000 is one of the few modern cars that dont need to be forced to step out.

It's usually the ham-fisted drivers fresh from the FWD brigade or the drivers from modern world Audi/Subaru/Name your "sporty turbo" barge here gets taken by surprise with the s2000 - its a shame that most of them instead of learning to become a better driver, they just blame the car for not catering for the average skilled driver that they really are.

Last edited by Cosworth427; 07 April 2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07 April 2007, 08:48 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Flat 4, its not a stupid statement at all, and Cosworth is spot on too.

If you crash it, more often than not you have exceeded your skill limit.

The car is twitchy, and if you dont know what you are doing it will have you.

If you are on a straight wet road with a heavy camber, hitting VTEC will almost instantly fire the back end out. Its so quick, most wont catch it. Most dont appreciate that either.

Also, as its a high revver, if you dont heel toe on some downchanges, the rear diff will lock up causing the back to step out. Again, how many people appreciate the mechanics of that?

Its not that powerful, but because of its small size it just makes things happen quicker than say, a Supra.

So yes, is my belief that if you crash it and nobody else was around to affect you - you ran out if skill.
Old 07 April 2007, 10:52 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If you are on a straight wet road with a heavy camber, hitting VTEC will almost instantly fire the back end out. Its so quick, most wont catch it. Most dont appreciate that either.
Which is why I used to dial in a few cm of left hand lock at 5999rpm

Mark is right with what he says. The guy that bought my car came from a 172 and this was hit first RWD car. I begged and pleaded with hit to take it really easy until he got used to it as he bought it in the middle of winter. Within a few weeks he'd posted a pic of the front end on S2ki all scraped as he spun it on a roundabout. He just got a little too confident too quickly and was bitten for it.

Also, as its a high revver, if you dont heel toe on some downchanges, the rear diff will lock up causing the back to step out. Again, how many people appreciate the mechanics of that?
Did this a few times myself - pretty hairy but strangly fun
Old 07 April 2007, 11:55 AM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Flat 4, its not a stupid statement at all, and Cosworth is spot on too.

If you crash it, more often than not you have exceeded your skill limit.

The car is twitchy, and if you dont know what you are doing it will have you.

Its not that powerful, but because of its small size it just makes things happen quicker than say, a Supra.

So yes, is my belief that if you crash it and nobody else was around to affect you - you ran out if skill.
you ran out of skill? a minute ago u said "if u crash an s2000 ur a ****e driver", which is bull**** statement,make up ur mind! and what u mean it makes things happen quicker than a supra, a supra will step out on you very easily in damn conditions
Old 07 April 2007, 05:34 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

you ran out of skill? a minute ago u said "if u crash an s2000 ur a ****e driver", which is bull**** statement,make up ur mind! and what u mean it makes things happen quicker than a supra, a supra will step out on you very easily in damn conditions
Mate we all know what DBM meant by his posting. If you don't get it then I fail to see how you expect DBM to explain it again to you, when all you seem to want to do is nitpick each sentence he is posting.

Apart from being very tiresome to read, it isn't going to get you very far......

Perhaps trying a more tactful approach might help ?

or alternatively can't you find something better to do with your time ?
Old 07 April 2007, 06:42 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Eh how about you go **** urself "Fabio", dont "mate" me ya stinkin newbie all im saying is that his comment "only a ****e driver would crash an s2000" is the silliest thing ive ever heard! End of! Goodluck
Old 07 April 2007, 07:24 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Flat4, I find you to be quite rude - is it really needed to get your point across? Its something you do get when you are sat behind a keyboard though. Please try not to use text speak either, its tricky to understand.

Have you driven an S2000?

Being a ****e driver and running out of skill are the same thing You have effectively pushed the car beyond your capability.

If you go on the S2000 board, you will see a lot of crashed car threads where the car has bitten someone due to them not knowing the limits.

But im guessing you know better.

I fail to see the point in continuing though... Unless you have a valid argument.
Old 08 April 2007, 05:02 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Eh how about you go **** urself "Fabio", dont "mate" me ya stinkin newbie all im saying is that his comment "only a ****e driver would crash an s2000" is the silliest thing ive ever heard! End of! Goodluck
Sorry I didn't know you were going to take such an offence to being called "mate".....lesson learnt. Perhaps you would have preferred me to use asterisks as well.
Old 08 April 2007, 08:53 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Well at least this thread had lots of good info before it went downhill :S
Old 09 April 2007, 09:50 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

yep, got more posts than usual before someone butted in. not having much luck persuading her she wants a new motor, keeps saying things like ive only had this one 10 months. and?
she seems quite keen on a dc5 integra, so it could be worse!

Quick Reply: s2000 running costs