Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

XC90, Audi Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2007, 11:42 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XC90, Audi Q7?

Took an XC90 out this morning with the intention of just trying before ordering. It was the SE Diesel geartronic model, quite impressed, but too much body roll and seats lacked bolster support. There is an SE sport model which has just been released which should resolve the above problems. Left the garage intending to place an order for the sport model.

Had some time to kill so went over the road to the Audi garage, Q7 demonstrator was available so we thought we'd take it for a run. In the showroom we weren't that impressed. After taking the 3.0 TDi SE out for a run up the dual carriageway and through the city centre we have fallen for the Q7 over the XC. There was one point where we had to make a dash to cut across the other carriageway to make a right turn and I was amazed at how well it handled - the XC 90 SE certainly didn't give me the confidence to try a move like this.

The Q7 isn't the prettiest car out there but it does seem to do what it's designed for very well - anyone any thoughts?
Old 10 March 2007, 09:02 AM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
The Q7 isn't the prettiest car out there but it does seem to do what it's designed for very well - anyone any thoughts?
Yep, if you require an off-road vehicle get a Discovery. If you don`t then an A6 3.0TDI quattro avant will do you proud.

Can`t really see the point in the whole Q7, X5, ML, Cayenne breed myself but there you go.
Old 10 March 2007, 09:42 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Its probably worth test driving an X5 to be honest. Ok the image is terrible, but if you can live with that its almost certainly going to handle better than the Q7 and certainly going to handle better than the XC90.

While you're at it why not test drive a Range Rover sport and Discovery?
Old 10 March 2007, 10:26 AM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Volks
Yep, if you require an off-road vehicle get a Discovery. If you don`t then an A6 3.0TDI quattro avant will do you proud.

Can`t really see the point in the whole Q7, X5, ML, Cayenne breed myself but there you go.
Discovery is too big externally, you get the same internal space in the XC and Q7. Whole point of them? - with kids and dogs it's good to have the space.
Looked at the X5 but with the new model probably can't get one till Sept.

Didn't look at any others as the contract hire scheme I'm in places the XC90 SE sport, Q7 SE and X5 around the same cost - others are quite a bit dearer.
Old 10 March 2007, 01:34 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Discovery is too big externally, you get the same internal space in the XC and Q7. Whole point of them? - with kids and dogs it's good to have the space.
A Disco is bigger externally than a Q7

Internally I doubt an A6 is that much smaller than the others but there you go. Of the breed I`d be looking at a Toureg 3.0TDI.
Old 10 March 2007, 02:30 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

A Disco is bigger externally than a Q7

Internally I doubt an A6 is that much smaller than the others but there you go. Of the breed I`d be looking at a Toureg 3.0TDI.
Toureg gets slated for body roll, there was an A6 avant in the showroom, just didn't do anything for me at all.
Old 10 March 2007, 02:37 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

The point in them is that they stroke peoples egos. And the backlash against them has now really started, not just the treehuggers, the "trendy" crowds in Chelsea are all moving onto other things now so the residuals will get worse too.

Watch what happens when BMW release their MPV - I predict X5 sales will plummet in the UK.

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 10 March 2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10 March 2007, 02:55 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Discovery is too big externally, you get the same internal space in the XC and Q7.
The Q7 is bigger than a Disco.

Length X Width in Metres

Discovery 4.835 X 1.915
Audi Q7 5.086 X 1.983

The Q7 has had very mixed write ups and a few very poor right ups. It's turning circle isn't good and rear visibility is poor making it hard work to manouver. Most reviews have also questioned the ride quality and high speed stability.
I've only been in a Q7 as a passenger but have driven a couple of Discovery 3's. I would take the Discovery every time.

Cheers
Lee
Old 10 March 2007, 02:58 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Disco's are iconic, the Q7 is just another anonymous softroader.
Old 10 March 2007, 03:00 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
The point in them is that they stroke peoples egos. And the backlash against them has now really started, not just the treehuggers, the "trendy" crowds in Chelsea are all moving onto other things now so the residuals will get worse too.

Watch what happens when BMW release their MPV - I predict X5 sales will plummet in the UK.
I hope so.

I use 4X4's for towing, if the trendy city set get rid of theirs then the 2nd hand market will be full of bargains.
If the 4X4's are removed from the city centres then perhaps the tree huggers and greenies will leave them alone.

Saying that my Cherokee is shorter, narrower and has a tighter turning circle than a Mondeo. Emmissions are in the same band as a 2.5petrol Mondeo so the city congestion and green argument doesn't stack up.

Cheers
Lee
Old 10 March 2007, 06:55 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
The Q7 is bigger than a Disco.
I meant heightwise to fit in the garage, but also the new disco is actually wider as well @ 2009mm not 1915mm as you say, that's from the land rover website.

If I was going off road or towing in a big way I'd look at the disco, as it is, the roads where I live are rural and country tracks, the GTB I have at the moment almost manages but there are a few places I've avoided because of lack of clearance.

Don't care about residuals, that's the contract hire co's problem.

I'd like to see one of these reviews about the poor roadholding, I was well impressed.
Old 10 March 2007, 07:07 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I meant heightwise to fit in the garage, but also the new disco is actually wider as well @ 2009mm not 1915mm as you say, that's from the land rover website.

I'd like to see one of these reviews about the poor roadholding, I was well impressed.

Width depends on whether you include folding mirrors or not on both cars but it looks like whatcar and landrovers site differ a bit.

I never mentioned roadholding, Q7 reviewers talk about poor ride quality and high speed stability.

If your coming from a scoob then the ride will be OK, if your coming from a Jag or E class then it's firm and jiggly around town.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 10 March 2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10 March 2007, 08:03 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

My brother has recently changed his 2.5 year old XC90 for a Q7. He was very pleased with the Volvo but reckons the Audi is a better motor.

Geoff.
Old 10 March 2007, 09:11 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

The V8 XC90 goes......
Old 10 March 2007, 09:24 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Get an XC70

Less common than 90s but other than the height, the same size inside.
Old 11 March 2007, 06:02 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
The point in them is that they stroke peoples egos. And the backlash against them has now really started, not just the treehuggers, the "trendy" crowds in Chelsea are all moving onto other things now so the residuals will get worse too..
This bit about MPVs/SUVs (call them what you will) becoming unfashionable is true......I have heard many people who can and do afford to have vehicles like the X5, cayenne, Q7 comment on how they say they feel irresponsible and OTT owning them, so the only people who will continue to love them is the thuglife wannabe gangstas(sic!)
Old 11 March 2007, 06:32 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboman786
so the only people who will continue to love them is the thuglife wannabe gangstas(sic!)
And the odd few who actually do use 4X4's ie, off road and towing. But those people do try and avoid the models of 4X4 you mentioned.

Cheers
Lee
Old 11 March 2007, 08:29 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboman786
This bit about MPVs/SUVs (call them what you will) becoming unfashionable is true......I have heard many people who can and do afford to have vehicles like the X5, cayenne, Q7 comment on how they say they feel irresponsible and OTT owning them, so the only people who will continue to love them is the thuglife wannabe gangstas(sic!)
irresponsible? why?

If it's fuel consumption then there's a lot of folk on this BB who should be feeling irresponsible. My GTB at best will manage 28mpg, most STi's are low 20's. The XC90 and Q7 are 38 and 34 mpg respectively.

Buy a Q7 and feel like a gansta or keep the subaru and be a chav - wtf is it with labelling people in this country