Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Sti to S3

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2007, 01:00 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sti to S3

Had my S3 for nearly a week now and i can honestly say i dont miss the scoob one bit.
The Audi is stylish, comfortable, reasonably quick, more efficient on juice, doesn't get stared and all in all, is a much better car.
I.M.O. of course
Wish i had bought one sooner.
Nik.
Old 07 March 2007, 01:04 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Hey Nik, is that a new one?
Old 07 March 2007, 01:10 PM
DeltaBravo 9
Scooby Regular

does that mean you will change your user name to nik52s3 ??
Old 07 March 2007, 01:18 PM
crofty
Scooby Regular

[The Audi is stylish, comfortable, reasonably quick, more efficient on juice, doesn't get stared and all in all, is a much better car.

Boring in other words
Old 07 March 2007, 01:18 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Not at all
Old 07 March 2007, 01:22 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Autocar rave about the new S3 fast, handles well and understated, shame its a bit pricey.

Maybe not as raw as a Scoob but then again most cars arn't.

Piccies please
Old 09 March 2007, 01:31 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Only thing I miss about my scoob is the rumble, other than that, I haven't looked back since owning my S3.
Have dialled out the understeer by fitting R32 ARB's and with the Revo map, its well on par in terms of performance.
Old 09 March 2007, 07:49 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

After a week in the Audi (not the new one by the way) i havent missed the Impreza one bit, and i'm getting nearly 30mpg at the minute, bonus
I haven't really had chance to test the handling yet but first impressions are good.
Nik.

Originally Posted by Matt Classic
Only thing I miss about my scoob is the rumble, other than that, I haven't looked back since owning my S3.
Have dialled out the understeer by fitting R32 ARB's and with the Revo map, its well on par in terms of performance.
Old 09 March 2007, 07:56 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
After a week in the Audi (not the new one by the way) i havent missed the Impreza one bit, and i'm getting nearly 30mpg at the minute, bonus
I haven't really had chance to test the handling yet but first impressions are good.
Nik.
My brother used to own a 225bhp 02 plate S3. Beautiful car but as all the car mags said, the steering feels so dull and lifeless compared to scoob. Deceptively quick car though with great quality. Horses for courses!
Old 09 March 2007, 08:06 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Had my S3 for nearly a week now and i can honestly say i dont miss the scoob one bit.
The Audi is stylish, comfortable, reasonably quick, more efficient on juice, doesn't get stared and all in all, is a much better car.
I.M.O. of course
Wish i had bought one sooner.
Nik.

Pretty much had the same feelings when I got my S4 The S4 is very quick (well, mine is ) compared to my Scoob.

I really miss the sound of my Scoob though, and tbh, no Miltek is going to change that (but it might help )

IMHO, I think that the Audi (or any fast Audi for that matter) is a car that people grow into, after owning the rawness of the Jap stuff (for example)....

I can only speak from personal experience though.

I loved my Scoobs, but Subaru have REALLY got to up their game to tempt me back into one of their cars (the B4 rsk was a contender though)....

Dan
Old 10 March 2007, 11:13 AM
andyhaase1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Classic
Hey Matt, how are you doing? Still liking the s3 i see.Your old scoob is going in for a new clutch next week.I never got round to getting the sills c/coded,sort of got used to it now.Its funny but I find myself looking at s3's for sale on pistonheads etc,really like them in nogaro blue with blue seats!
Andy.
Old 10 March 2007, 09:08 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Pretty much had the same feelings when I got my S4 The S4 is very quick (well, mine is ) compared to my Scoob.

I really miss the sound of my Scoob though, and tbh, no Miltek is going to change that (but it might help )

IMHO, I think that the Audi (or any fast Audi for that matter) is a car that people grow into, after owning the rawness of the Jap stuff (for example)....

I can only speak from personal experience though.

I loved my Scoobs, but Subaru have REALLY got to up their game to tempt me back into one of their cars (the B4 rsk was a contender though)....

Dan

Funny you and some of the others mention the above......personally got fed up with the German "quality", that meant huge garage bills, spending half of the car's ownership in a VW or Audi (or whatever) garage, and crap handling.

Overpriced, crap interiors are becoming more common thanks to €€€€€ saving on the manufacturers end, boring exteriors that look all the same, but mostly quite uncomfy to drive about yet extremely crappy handling....... well that is German QUALITY for you!

Exceptions include: RS4, RS6, M5 & M6, S8, Porkers (but only the good ones not "poor peoples" porkers like the Boxster), and not much else really, of course this is "my opinion".

Thanks
Old 10 March 2007, 09:14 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Fair play - sounds like you had a really bad experience

I think you may have some grounds there, but the older models are much better built......

Dan
Old 10 March 2007, 09:22 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Fair play - sounds like you had a really bad experience

I think you may have some grounds there, but the older models are much better built......

Dan
Thank you! Yes the older model German cars had better paint, better interiors (at least more solid and better looking IMHO), and the cars themselves actually felt more solid.

They seem to be cutting back on the metals they use and the amount of paint too. The fact that they sell more cars that McDonalds does burgers has seriously made sure that I never buy a german car again unless it is top notch, and sorry the S3 don't cut it.

In fact this whole "S line" rubbish was the biggest mistake that they could have done at Audi, they de-personalised the best cars they had.....

Danke (lol)
Old 11 March 2007, 12:46 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andyhaase1
Hey Matt, how are you doing? Still liking the s3 i see.Your old scoob is going in for a new clutch next week.I never got round to getting the sills c/coded,sort of got used to it now.Its funny but I find myself looking at s3's for sale on pistonheads etc,really like them in nogaro blue with blue seats!
Andy.

Hi Andy! Yep, I'm doing well thanks, glad to see you're still around and looking after my old Scoob I trust ??

I reckon that clutch must have been in there since new, so I'm guessing it must have done around 75k now ?, so not too bad.

The S3 seemed like a sensible option for me, thus why I sold the Impreza, its fun to drive, not so ***** out as such. I loved my scoob (and still have pictures on the wall in my study of it) but I did always seem to have the urge to "drive it" everywhere, if that makes sense? The S3 will quite happily cruise along with out the feeling that you should be overtaking stuff, but then has the ability to get along quite nicely when those times take over and you need to give it some beans.

Nothing will ever replace the sound of the scoob though, if only the interiors were nicer on the blob eyes, I could have been tempted back into one again, as they seem extrodinary good value at 2-3 years old.

Nogaro blue does suit the S3 very well, but silver is faster !!

Old 12 March 2007, 09:28 PM
andyhaase1
Scooby Regular

Good guess Matt! Just clocked up 74k and the pedal is right at the top so i ordered an exedy clutch from ebay and a mechanic pal is doing it on wednesday.He did the cambelt last year and he is dirt cheap.(I do some machining/welding jobs for him as he is building his second kitcar)
The s3 is looking good,what power/torque is it running with the remap?Ididn't know about the r32 arb's, how has it changed the handling?I was on an audi forum a while back and they were talking about rust under the door bottom trims, which is not covered under warranty.Not something you expect from audi. Andy
Old 12 March 2007, 11:20 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Apologies for mentioning a RB5 in the non Scoobs section ... Evo Mag tested the S3 & RB5 years ago & the RB5 romped home?! No offence intended.

TX.

PS

I must confess, I own a Scoob
Old 13 March 2007, 12:07 AM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andyhaase1
Good guess Matt! Just clocked up 74k and the pedal is right at the top so i ordered an exedy clutch from ebay and a mechanic pal is doing it on wednesday.He did the cambelt last year and he is dirt cheap.(I do some machining/welding jobs for him as he is building his second kitcar)
The s3 is looking good,what power/torque is it running with the remap?Ididn't know about the r32 arb's, how has it changed the handling?I was on an audi forum a while back and they were talking about rust under the door bottom trims, which is not covered under warranty.Not something you expect from audi. Andy
Good to hear you're getting it done at a good cost.....mates rates are always great.
The remap takes the S3 to around 265bhp and 275lbsft, so pretty impresive for a 1.8 lump. Mid range torque is where it all happens and it makes it a far more useable day to day car.
R32 ARB's have just made it a lot more level thru the bends, they're a little stiffer than the originals but make a fair bit of difference for not a lot of money.
Not seen the door bottom trims giving me any grief yet, however I suspect the damage would be going out of sight. All I can do is keep it as clean as possible, which is an addiction anyway !!

Something like this could tempt me back though one day.........nice and subtle, but purposeful too, just like my old Classic https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...very-nice.html

Last edited by Matt Classic; 13 March 2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to add link
Old 13 March 2007, 12:11 AM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Apologies for mentioning a RB5 in the non Scoobs section ... Evo Mag tested the S3 & RB5 years ago & the RB5 romped home?! No offence intended.

TX.

PS

I must confess, I own a Scoob
A biased Scoob owner ?? Never come accross one of them on here yet...

The scoob is a great car, I wont deny it, the Audi is just more of an all rounder. 80% commute, 10% family work, 10% loony driving. My S3 does the first 2 exeptionally well, the latter is just very good.
Old 13 March 2007, 12:45 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Matt.

Must admit that I love the looks of the S3 & the quality of the build. I also like most of the S & RS cars, they're just so wide!

Hoping to get a RS4 one day, bank balance permiting

TX.
Old 13 March 2007, 01:59 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Me too!

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Matt.

Hoping to get a RS4 one day, bank balance permiting

TX.