Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

whats faster when rolling a chiped td or a type r

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2007, 06:13 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats faster when rolling a chiped td or a type r

iam thinking about a reasonably fast car in a straight line something that has a bit of pick up and go when cruising along no i cant afford a scoob or a porsche lol
so wondering what experiences ppl have had either in their fast petrol car aginst a td or vice versa?.......only thing ive heard negative about the fabia is that if you chip them it only takes a few thousnd miles later for the clutch to strt slipping and theres no uprated clutch on the market for one of these.
anyone else experienced clutch slip after a while once chipped?

your experiences pls
Old 06 March 2007, 06:27 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

if the type r owner uses his gears he will every time,the diesel only takes the lead if your wanting to do something mega exciting like flooring it at 40 mph in 4th gear.
Type r is in another street to the fabia ,its 15 seconds faster to hit 100 mph from a standing start ,yes thats right 15 seonds ,ctr hits 100 in 16.8 seconds the not very fab fabia takes 31 seconds to reach 100 mph from standing ,the ctr also handles ,the fabia ............well ,it doesnt.

Last edited by mg driver; 06 March 2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06 March 2007, 08:22 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

As MG Driver says, the Civic is probably a bit quicker, although it doesn't feel it.

The Fabia feels like a monster once remapped.

I feel that you aren't comparing like with like - if I could have lived with the mpg I would have got a Civic as the handling, driving position, gearchange and overall 'specialness' is far superior to the Fabia.

The Fabia will do near enough double the mpg...and is a funky car in its own right.

James (Fabia vRS and Ibiza TDI owner)
Old 06 March 2007, 09:39 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'd be very interested in a battle between a chipped Ibiza Cupra TDI (around 200bhp and 1150kg) vs a CTR with around 200bhp and 1150kg. Both the same power, both the same weight, both FWD, both a similar shape and size and both have 6-speed gearboxes. However, they make their power in such completely different ways...
Old 06 March 2007, 10:00 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I'd be very interested in a battle between a chipped Ibiza Cupra TDI (around 200bhp and 1150kg) vs a CTR with around 200bhp and 1150kg. Both the same power, both the same weight, both FWD, both a similar shape and size and both have 6-speed gearboxes. However, they make their power in such completely different ways...
I think its a bit of a "ton of feathers" or a "ton of lead" type question. My Golf MkV Gti times exactly the same to 100 as my old Revo'd PD150 Golf - 16 secs (both 200hp)... As you say though the Cupra/CTR will both drive very differently

Chris
Old 06 March 2007, 10:01 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

My RICA tuned Fabia vRS won the Tuner GP drag strip challenge at Donnington. I didn't have much in the way of competition, however I managed a 6.9 [I think] to 60mph [2 gear changes] and 15.1 1/2 mile [3 gear changes] I had just finished my 20th lap of the track before I did the drag strip, so I blame heat soak for 0.1 second, and I would imagine with work I could get in the 14's [although I have changed the car now].

It could easily tag along with reasonably powerful cars 40-100 and I think I managed 1:34 @ Donnington [short circuit]. Which is ok - I am no pro behind the wheel and it was on road tyres.

They are a different league to the type R as far as running costs go, and i guess the handling / weight is where they fall down next to 'balanced' hatches. The ON/OFF power delivery of the diesel is hardly refined. But you put up with those handful of non driver pleasures for 45+ mpg - cheap insurance / tax etc etc. I did 12k [including x2 track days] with 160WHP and 300lb/ft and didn't get any clutch slip.
Old 06 March 2007, 11:09 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

The clutch in a Furby vRS will last longer than a few thousand miles and upgraded ones are available.

But a remapped (petrol) Octavia vRS will eat either a Fabia vRs or CTR in a straight line
Old 06 March 2007, 11:26 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

Cool

then there is always a leon fr tdi 150 ish brake as standard and upto around 190 ish bhp and around 305 lb ft of torque witha stage 1 remap costing around £450. in a staight line very quick on a rolling start but crap from a standing start as there is too much torque and the traction control cant handle it... i can get mine to spin the wheels quite easily in the wet in 1st 2nd 3 rd and sometimes 4th gear. the turbo starts spooling at around 1500rpm and is well spinning by the time you hit the max torque which is achieved usully around 2200 rpm ,although with a remap you can get this adjusted to a slightly higher rev range which does cut down on the clutch problem the standard clutch is rated upto 300lb ft torque. if i drive mine hard it still manages around 30 mpg and if you are easy on the loud pedal at say steady 70mph in 6th i can get nearly 60 mpg out of it and ther is no need to change down for hills or overtaking justsqueeze the loud pedal a bit more and away you go as it is only doing about 2100rpm at 70 mph just slightly below where he max torque kicks in and the turbo is spooled up
Old 07 March 2007, 12:10 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mrfastbaz
then there is always a leon fr tdi 150 ish brake as standard and upto around 190 ish bhp and around 305 lb ft of torque witha stage 1 remap costing around £450. in a staight line very quick on a rolling start but crap from a standing start as there is too much torque and the traction control cant handle it... i can get mine to spin the wheels quite easily in the wet in 1st 2nd 3 rd and sometimes 4th gear. the turbo starts spooling at around 1500rpm and is well spinning by the time you hit the max torque which is achieved usully around 2200 rpm ,although with a remap you can get this adjusted to a slightly higher rev range which does cut down on the clutch problem the standard clutch is rated upto 300lb ft torque. if i drive mine hard it still manages around 30 mpg and if you are easy on the loud pedal at say steady 70mph in 6th i can get nearly 60 mpg out of it and ther is no need to change down for hills or overtaking justsqueeze the loud pedal a bit more and away you go as it is only doing about 2100rpm at 70 mph just slightly below where he max torque kicks in and the turbo is spooled up
...and breathe

Maybe I missed an opportunity to plug my car

I went from a 280bhp newageScoob and have never looked back (well, maybe in the wet).

Drove my mates 340bhp bugeye STI and TBH I felt a bit let down. FELT loads slower than mine. Obviously loads quicker, but didn't feel it!
Old 07 March 2007, 07:11 AM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
yes but the cupra tdi has alot more torque so should be quicker.
Old 07 March 2007, 07:16 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Not if they are flat out through the gears. What the TDI has in engine torque the CTR has in wheel torque through the gearing, etc. My guess is the ctr would be fractionally quicker in a straight-line from 20-120mph but that the Cupra would be faster in most of the incriments such as 30-70, 50-70 in top, etc. That's just an educated guess though
Old 07 March 2007, 11:02 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

You are probably right...

But would rather have a Type R for the whole experience.

Ok look, I own a Cupra and Fabia, and have driven a CTR (nearly part exed my Scoob for one, but couldn't get a good price...). As an occasional car, the CTR wins hands down - it feels lighter and is a lot more special (forget actual 0-60, its how the car FEELS that is the important bit). For day to day driving, the huge wads of torque at 2,200rpm (over 300lb/ft) make the Ibiza a lot easier to drive faster (and a lot cheaper to run too). Plus its fun sooting cars which think they can try it on - the Ibiza is unknown to a lot of people. Its the perfect Q car...but I miss the attention of the Scoob (although hated it at the time)

Last edited by Jamesemt; 07 March 2007 at 11:11 AM.