Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Runaround Economics...

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2007, 01:59 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runaround Economics...

Okay; just having a think about the possible financial advantage of having a runaround to do my usually weekly commute to and from work (I'm in the forces and currently have a weekly round trip of about 140 miles).

So the costs I've weighed up are:

Suzuki Wagon R - @ £1000 (average MPG 47mpg!!!!)

Insurance - £156 (quick quote from confused - haven't looked around, and not sure if my current insurers can 'add on' another car to my insurance at a discount?)

Servicing - pah - do it myself.

Road tax - don't know what price grouping - £140 or something?

So we're looking at say £600 for the first year in running costs *edit.. hell - if I fill it with oil made by super magic little pixies ; *. Which is say 8 tanks of fuel for the impreza. 8 tanks would do 16 round trips or so to work. Four months at where I'm currently based.

If I get posted to one of my possibles the same fuel would last me 2 months.

Now the Wagon has a 41 litre tank so £35ish to fill up - which I figure is around 500 miles worth. (as opposed to £50 for 200!!).

In addition to that - I guess say a weekly average of 160 miles in the wagon - say 47 weeks of the year (taking holiday into account) - thats 7520 miles that don't go onto the Impreza and will save me a fortune in servicing costs as well.

So is buying the Wagon R+ a no-brainer?

Last edited by Prasius; 04 March 2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04 March 2007, 02:55 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Apart from Wagon R+'s are really, really ****. Personally, I think it's worth £600 to not have a **** car. But if you're happy to have one, then that's up to you.
Old 04 March 2007, 02:57 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Okay - so thats the unhelpful first reply done with..

Anyone else?
Old 04 March 2007, 03:30 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Well it will definitely make you appreciate the scooby more!
Sounds like you have done your homework, so why not go for it?

Why not get a nice little K11 (92-2000) nissan micra? My fiancee's 1.0L lx is stupidly economical. 44mpg around town, cheap insurance, tax, servicing (do it myself), and not to bad to drive.
Old 04 March 2007, 03:39 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an older cheaper car i use for work, the Scoob lives tucked away in the garage, the trouble is, i have to really force myself to get the scoob out now, so my advice would be to keep using the scoob, cos otherwise you'll end up not using/enjoying it....... my car gets full of crap for work, which was half the reason i got another car in the first place, not the costs!!
Old 04 March 2007, 03:47 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Well all those figures are off my head.. I haven't actually worked out the exacts. But it does seem I'd be in pocket.. well thats a lie - I wouldn't be in pocket - it would just give me more money to waste elsewhere on the cars

I do feel a certain amount of close mindedness about the Wagon R, come on! It was in Gran Tourismo! What more reason do you need to buy a car?!

Seriously though - its a roomy car with plenty of room to throw my kit in; has quirky looks (in my opinion - I have a bugeye - beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that) and some character, and is pretty well equipped all things considered. Plus I kinda like that Japanese Kei culture thing..