BMW 120dSE or Golf GTi DSG?

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2007, 01:05 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 120dSE or Golf GTi DSG?

A bit of an odd one but my parents have the choice of a used

BMW 120d SE Auto lots of toys Auto etc or a Golf GTi DSG the Golf is lower mileage, the BMW is a slighlty higher spec. BMW is cheaper.

I am in two minds which to suggest they go for.

Opinions please?

Robin
Old 15 February 2007, 10:01 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What do they want, and what do they not want?
Old 15 February 2007, 02:18 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

They wasnt a prestiege hatchback.

It needs to be auto but one that does not compromise the car too much.

My dad has always had fast cars, so something reasonably nippy, though he wont be driving like a maniac seeing as he is 90 now.

It needs to have a reasonable image as he cant turn up when invited to see patients socially in the wrong sort of car for a doctor.

They dont want anything too big for parking in London, but want something that will cruise nicely on the motorway when they drive out of London.

Thanks in advance
Old 15 February 2007, 02:26 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

surely he shouldn't be driving at 90? Certainly can't still be employed at that age.
Old 15 February 2007, 02:26 PM
monkeysan
Scooby Regular

the golf

i looked at the 1-series after my mini and TBH they had the same ammount of room inside (ie SHOCKING)

all depends what its used for and how many will be in it i guess

plus BMW part's prices SUCK
Old 15 February 2007, 03:02 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattN
surely he shouldn't be driving at 90? Certainly can't still be employed at that age.
He is not exactly your average 90 year old, he still works full time, 5 days a week seeing 15-20 patients a day - he is much younger in real terms than his age in years if you see what I mean.........
Old 15 February 2007, 03:06 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monkeysan
the golf

i looked at the 1-series after my mini and TBH they had the same ammount of room inside (ie SHOCKING)

all depends what its used for and how many will be in it i guess

plus BMW part's prices SUCK

Hi

Yes they had a Mini before and that was tiny inside, attiude of BMW dealers isnt great either. Parts prices are something to be considered as well.

It wont do many miles annually but when it is used the journeys are likely to be longer ones ie 100 miles. It will mostly be used for visiting friends and relatives at the weekends.

They currently run a Smart 4/2 Brabus but find the two seats limiting and it is not the best car on the motorway.

Robin
Old 15 February 2007, 03:06 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Golf for sure. If the BMW wore any other badge it would be slated.
Old 15 February 2007, 03:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Can they stretch to an Audi A3? Smoother, nicer interior.
Old 15 February 2007, 03:17 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Can they stretch to an Audi A3? Smoother, nicer interior.
Hi Brendan,

Probably but they had a bad experience with Audi a couple of years ago - they ordered a 'special order' A3 2.0T with the 225 bhp engine and Tiptronic gearbox, took Audi 7 months to build it and when it arrived at the dealer it was a 3 door not a 5 door as ordered, missing sunroof, wrong wheels etc etc and all Audi offered was to deduct the cost difference of the 3 to 5 door! They also said they would have to wait again if they wanted the 'correct' car built - needless to say they rejected the car and got their deposit back.

So as you can imagine they are not huge Audi fans as a result of that masterpiece of customer service, but I will suggest it.

Thanks

Robin
Old 15 February 2007, 03:18 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Old 15 February 2007, 04:15 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
There is a nice metallic black A3 3.2 Sport Quattro with DSG I might try and tempt them with............
Old 16 February 2007, 09:58 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Interesting comments so far.

Having tested the 120D and all the competition I found the 1 series to be the far better car. The BMW auto's are superb.

I'm not even going to rise to Kiwi's pathetic comment.

Plenty of room in the front and the boot isn't as bad as some make out. My dealer is fine, and parts prices no worse than Audi or Merc. you'll still be in balance of warranty anyway I suspect.

However,

I'm no where near 90 and am fit and agile. I would not recommend the 120d for your parents. Small door apertures and low slung driving position would make access in and out more difficult. The small Merc is much the same.

With that in mind, and on the understanding that comfort and ease of use will rank highly, of the choice and information you've given I recon the Golf is the one best suited to their needs.

Although from my experience VW dealers are the worst of the lot.

Have you considered a small SUV as an option? Better visibility, much easier access.
Old 16 February 2007, 11:08 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
Interesting comments so far.

Having tested the 120D and all the competition I found the 1 series to be the far better car. The BMW auto's are superb.

I'm not even going to rise to Kiwi's pathetic comment.

Plenty of room in the front and the boot isn't as bad as some make out. My dealer is fine, and parts prices no worse than Audi or Merc. you'll still be in balance of warranty anyway I suspect.

However,

I'm no where near 90 and am fit and agile. I would not recommend the 120d for your parents. Small door apertures and low slung driving position would make access in and out more difficult. The small Merc is much the same.

With that in mind, and on the understanding that comfort and ease of use will rank highly, of the choice and information you've given I recon the Golf is the one best suited to their needs.

Although from my experience VW dealers are the worst of the lot.

Have you considered a small SUV as an option? Better visibility, much easier access.
Thanks for that, very useful information seeing as you have tested all the competition.

I think the 120d may be worth a look. Access is not a major issue, dad can get in and out of our Maserati Bora ok, and has no problem getting in and out of my Scooby! I think we will also have a look at the A3 3.2 Quattro as it is a lot of car for the money.

If they had an SUV it would probably be a Range Rover but they dont really want anything that big at the moment

Many thanks,

Robin
Old 16 February 2007, 11:15 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by RobinSherwood
Thanks for that, very useful information seeing as you have tested all the competition.

I think the 120d may be worth a look. Access is not a major issue, dad can get in and out of our Maserati Bora ok, and has no problem getting in and out of my Scooby! I think we will also have a look at the A3 3.2 Quattro as it is a lot of car for the money.

If they had an SUV it would probably be a Range Rover but they dont really want anything that big at the moment

Many thanks,

Robin
He must be pretty good for 90 then He'll have been brought up on RWD and might like the 120D.

Bora - very cool car

Was thinking more SWB Shogun Warrior size. Great engines, auto box, leather, should be reliable, not that big.
Old 16 February 2007, 11:24 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

The DSG gearbox is awesome. And the Golf isn't quite so cramped as the 1 series
Old 16 February 2007, 11:48 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
He must be pretty good for 90 then He'll have been brought up on RWD and might like the 120D.

Bora - very cool car

Was thinking more SWB Shogun Warrior size. Great engines, auto box, leather, should be reliable, not that big.
Hi,

As I said further up the thread he does still work full time...... So yes he is remarkable for his age. He was a keen driver when he was younger and has a pretty remakable car history, so yes he would appreciate a drivers car.

Thanks yes, the Bora is a bit special - starting to get the recognition it deserves slowly too with the resurgence of the Maserati marque.

He will now buy German/Japanese if it is the best available but where something as good or better is available he is likely to go for that.

Thanks again,

Robin
Old 16 February 2007, 12:31 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

The 120d is a very nice car. Perhaps for a two hour blast or a weekend away the Golf would be more interesting, but the 1er is an easier car to live with day in day out.

If you check out the price of some of the options on the 1er and then look at the used market you will see that there are some pretty good deals to be had. Some owners have taken quite a heavy hit on highly specced cars.

I have a 130i SE and it's a very pleasant car to own. It can be very refined when you want it to be (the most refined car in the class) but is an animal when you want some fun with a hugely adjustable RWD chassis. The ergonomics are great as well, all of the main controls weighted beautifully, working in harmony with each other. BMW are so good at that kind of stuff.

As for Kiwi's comment, I think he is misinformed. The 1er is only a tiny gap away from the 3er in quality. Shares the same superbly engineered oily bits and is almost identical for head and leg room. The 1er actually feels better for headroom in the back than the 3er and in some ways is better for leg room too as there is more room for your feet when the front seats are on their lowest setting (which they usually are).

The E90 3er is regarded as one of the best cars ever created. When you compare the 1er to it's direct competitors it doesn't seem particular good value. But think of it as a budget 3er that is easier to park it begins to make more sense.

Since they've experienced mine several people I know have also gone for the 1er. Recommended.
Old 16 February 2007, 12:36 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DavidChief
The 120d is a very nice car. Perhaps for a two hour blast or a weekend away the Golf would be more interesting, but the 1er is an easier car to live with day in day out.

If you check out the price of some of the options on the 1er and then look at the used market you will see that there are some pretty good deals to be had. Some owners have taken quite a heavy hit on highly specced cars.

I have a 130i SE and it's a very pleasant car to own. It can be very refined when you want it to be (the most refined car in the class) but is an animal when you want some fun with a hugely adjustable RWD chassis. The ergonomics are great as well, all of the main controls weighted beautifully, working in harmony with each other. BMW are so good at that kind of stuff.

As for Kiwi's comment, I think he is misinformed. The 1er is only a tiny gap away from the 3er in quality. Shares the same superbly engineered oily bits and is almost identical for head and leg room. The 1er actually feels better for headroom in the back than the 3er and in some ways is better for leg room too as there is more room for your feet when the front seats are on their lowest setting (which they usually are).

The E90 3er is regarded as one of the best cars ever created. When you compare the 1er to it's direct competitors it doesn't seem particular good value. But think of it as a budget 3er that is easier to park it begins to make more sense.

Since they've experienced mine several people I know have also gone for the 1er. Recommended.
Thanks for that David, very helpful,

Robin
Old 16 February 2007, 01:27 PM
daz4065
Scooby Regular

I have owned the golf mk V (stick shift) and currently own a 120d sport amongst other cars. As far as driving is concerned there is no question that the BMW is a better car. It is a much nicer car on the road and has really smooth power delivery. Handling is in a different league compared to the Golf mk V. Also, at the age of 90 he will not want to stop and change a flat wheel (the 1 series have run flats across the range).

The BMW is also slightly different to look at and so, in my opinion, carries a certain quirk that oozes a little bit more class. Having driven DSG MkV golf and audi, there is little doubt that these are technically excellent and really good at delivering power. This BMW also should come with parking sensors that are excellent if parking is an issue. I just can't help feeling that the BMW will give your father that little bit something different.

All the best with your decision

Last edited by daz4065; 16 February 2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 16 February 2007, 01:40 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz4065
I have owned the golf mk V (stick shift) and currently own a 120d sport amongst other cars. As far as driving is concerned there is no question that the BMW is a better car. It is a much nicer car on the road and has really smooth power delivery. Handling is in a different league compared to the Golf mk V. Also, at the age of 90 he will not want to stop and change a flat wheel (the 1 series have run flats across the range).

The BMW is also slightly different to look at and so, in my opinion, carries a certain quirk that oozes a little bit more class. Having driven DSG MkV golf and audi, there is little doubt that these are technically excellent and really good at delivering power. This BMW also should come with parking sensors that are excellent if parking is an issue. I just can't help feeling that the BMW will give your father that little bit something different.

All the best with your decision
Thanks again Daz,

Anyone had any experience of the 6 speed BMW auto?

Regards,

Robin
Old 16 February 2007, 03:09 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

My colleague has a 120d with the auto and he says it's very good. Not tried it myself... I prefer manuals
Old 16 February 2007, 03:33 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DavidChief
My colleague has a 120d with the auto and he says it's very good. Not tried it myself... I prefer manuals
Yes Dad and I prefer manuals too, unfortunately mum prefers auto and dad doesn't want the grief lol.

Thanks

Robin
Old 16 February 2007, 07:11 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobinSherwood
Yes Dad and I prefer manuals too
Yes, Robin and I prefer manuals too
Old 17 February 2007, 02:12 AM
rdraper
Scooby Regular

My mother has a 120D SE auto, I've always found it very good to drive and the auto is excellent, always the steptronic and sport mode if your bored. I test drove a GTI DSG and although an excellent car, cant imagine my parents would get a long with it for long with sports seats and hard suspension.
Old 17 February 2007, 06:49 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rdraper
My mother has a 120D SE auto, I've always found it very good to drive and the auto is excellent, always the steptronic and sport mode if your bored. I test drove a GTI DSG and although an excellent car, cant imagine my parents would get a long with it for long with sports seats and hard suspension.
Thanks once again everyone,

Off today to look at a MY05 120d Sport with a mega spec, the original owner specified £10k of extras!

Robin
Old 19 February 2007, 05:16 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks Everyone

Hi there,

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom.

Have put a deposit down on a 120d Sport on Saturday which I think will do them nicely, the icing on the cake was the previous owner had specced it with £10k of extras when it was new including Professional Navigation, DSP Prof HiFi, Xenons, Full Leather etc etc and it was a reasonable colour/interior combination to boot.

Thanks

Robin
Old 19 February 2007, 05:45 PM
daz4065
Scooby Regular

That is great news. Health to enjoy!! Sounds like excellent value with all those extras.

Regards, Stephen
Old 20 February 2007, 10:54 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Sport suspension can be a bit too harsh for some, hope they're OK with it. No idea how much to swap for standard, if necessary. Sounds good otherwise.