Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mk4 VW R32's... still a good residual purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2007, 12:52 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Mk4 VW R32's... still a good residual purchase

Dealers asking around 17k for a low miles 03 plate with 16,000...

Steep... but nice package.

All the toys, warrenty hand it back if it goes wrong etc..

Are the Mk4's still a good option - solid residuals still?

The car was 24k new... 3 years old sitting at 17k... bodes well for the future?

Stuck... looking at older higher k's... Audi S4's.... and a few other options... residuals always in mind too ... lost far too much money modding cars to keep losing money and getting old.. lol

Thoughts please any aspects and views on the mk4 R32's welcomed I appreciate this has been dicsused before and I will be seraching the posts just now..
Old 01 January 2007, 01:03 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without knowing anything about the market for R32s, that sounds expensive. 24k to 17k is not much of a drop in 4 years (maybe not quite 4 years, but near enough considering 07 plates will be here in 2 months). I wonder what they gave the original owner assuming it was a p/ex?

Also sounds too close to the price of a Mk5 GTI which is admittedly a different car, but it's also a newer model etc.

Perhaps if it's going to hold its value though it is good buy, meaning all the above is irrelevant.
Old 01 January 2007, 02:39 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

I was looking at these a couple of months back and was put off a bit by the relatively high prices.
They are a very nice car, but when you start to consider what else you can get for the money, I lost interest with the idea.
Old 01 January 2007, 03:13 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

The prices do seem to be holding up well,although i have noticed some "softening"lately,and unless they are cheaper,they seem to hang around a long time.

Funnily enough i was just looking through Pistonheads and there is a newly listed one on there that does look the part at just over 16k with low miles,1 owner,coilovers,AMD Stage 1,Full Leather and factory Sat Nav.

They are quick,and they do have excellent traction(obviously),however,i had a full on race with one last year when i had my (standard)Focus RS,and other than traction,he had no benefits as far as performance as once i went by him,he tried extremely hard but could not get back past me by some margin.................and yes,we were both trying.We stopped after about 15 miles and had a chat,and the real difference was economy,his computer was reading just 9mpg
Old 01 January 2007, 04:18 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butkus
Without knowing anything about the market for R32s, that sounds expensive. 24k to 17k is not much of a drop in 4 years (maybe not quite 4 years, but near enough considering 07 plates will be here in 2 months). I wonder what they gave the original owner assuming it was a p/ex?

Also sounds too close to the price of a Mk5 GTI which is admittedly a different car, but it's also a newer model etc.

Perhaps if it's going to hold its value though it is good buy, meaning all the above is irrelevant.
True, options on the table at the mo..

Seat Cupra R, Audi S4 & VW R32 MK4

Seat residuals have fallen a lot and with the new one coming along will continue to - good package tho and family friendly. Audi would be higher miles and much older plate but another fave. R32 always admired but the prices a still high even with the new arrival.

Even considered a Ford ST..
Old 01 January 2007, 04:19 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul2070
The prices do seem to be holding up well,although i have noticed some "softening"lately,and unless they are cheaper,they seem to hang around a long time.

Funnily enough i was just looking through Pistonheads and there is a newly listed one on there that does look the part at just over 16k with low miles,1 owner,coilovers,AMD Stage 1,Full Leather and factory Sat Nav.

They are quick,and they do have excellent traction(obviously),however,i had a full on race with one last year when i had my (standard)Focus RS,and other than traction,he had no benefits as far as performance as once i went by him,he tried extremely hard but could not get back past me by some margin.................and yes,we were both trying.We stopped after about 15 miles and had a chat,and the real difference was economy,his computer was reading just 9mpg
True, bit lardy and not the quickest but decent package. RS nice too mind... decisions...
Old 01 January 2007, 08:09 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I had one for a year so anyone considering one, feel free to ask anything.

I had to sell it because it became thief target number one but they've probably moved onto something else now.

For reference, my 53 plate black 3 door with full leather and 24k on the clock sold for £17k about a year and a half ago.

Fantastic car and was gutted to see it go.
Old 02 January 2007, 10:44 AM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00
True, options on the table at the mo..

Seat Cupra R, Audi S4 & VW R32 MK4

Seat residuals have fallen a lot and with the new one coming along will continue to - good package tho and family friendly. Audi would be higher miles and much older plate but another fave. R32 always admired but the prices a still high even with the new arrival.

Even considered a Ford ST..
As far as your other options are concerned i had a look at some S4's when i sold the Focus RS and ended up buying an A6 2.7 BI-Turbo(same engine)and found it thirsty and fairly underwhelming TBH.I even had a look at an S4 moddified by MTM that had uprated turbos etc and was supposed to be running circa 350bhp,but it never felt it.

This year i ran a Leon Cupra R 225 that i had remapped to approx 275bhp,lowered it on some Eibach Springs and had a set of 19" OZ Superleggarra's fitted(which were lighter than the standard 18's),and i found that the mods totally transformed the car and i absolutely loved it.As a package it was very comfortable,very quick,handled excellent,and would still return upto 35mpg driven relatively sensibly,so it would definately be my recommendation.

The Focus ST i did look at,as the RS was such a phenominal car,but i didn't really rate it as it felt very soft,however now that they are easily modded to 300bhp...........................
Old 02 January 2007, 11:16 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest, why are you comparing Cupra and R32 with the S4 and not the S3?

17k will get a 2003 S3 with 30k miles on it from a dealer.
Old 02 January 2007, 12:29 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I tried the S3, but the R32 felt much more lively and had the wicked soundtrack and no turbo lag plus is steered better.

£17K is a lot for an S3.
Old 02 January 2007, 04:01 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Bear in mind that the 2.7 bi-turbo is a GREAT torquey engine...... in the right car. In an A6, it's a bit under-powered imho. In the A4 (S4/RS4), you've got a nice combination - well, I think so, but I would considering that's what I drive!!

as above, don't compare different platforms - it's apples/pears......

All I can say is that on my Audi, it's been a VERY cheap year in terms of losses (so far )

Dan
Old 02 January 2007, 08:11 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I had one for a year so anyone considering one, feel free to ask anything.

I had to sell it because it became thief target number one but they've probably moved onto something else now.

For reference, my 53 plate black 3 door with full leather and 24k on the clock sold for £17k about a year and a half ago.

Fantastic car and was gutted to see it go.
Cheers, been doing a lot of forum lurking on the forums - mixed bag of opinions - all like the interior mind lol
Old 02 January 2007, 08:13 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul2070
As far as your other options are concerned i had a look at some S4's when i sold the Focus RS and ended up buying an A6 2.7 BI-Turbo(same engine)and found it thirsty and fairly underwhelming TBH.I even had a look at an S4 moddified by MTM that had uprated turbos etc and was supposed to be running circa 350bhp,but it never felt it.

This year i ran a Leon Cupra R 225 that i had remapped to approx 275bhp,lowered it on some Eibach Springs and had a set of 19" OZ Superleggarra's fitted(which were lighter than the standard 18's),and i found that the mods totally transformed the car and i absolutely loved it.As a package it was very comfortable,very quick,handled excellent,and would still return upto 35mpg driven relatively sensibly,so it would definately be my recommendation.

The Focus ST i did look at,as the RS was such a phenominal car,but i didn't really rate it as it felt very soft,however now that they are easily modded to 300bhp...........................
lcr indeed a good option - just wondering how much further they will drop - stories of losing 6k in first year of ownership - 18,500 to 12k.

Then again most cars depreciate I guess.
Old 02 January 2007, 08:14 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
Just out of interest, why are you comparing Cupra and R32 with the S4 and not the S3?

17k will get a 2003 S3 with 30k miles on it from a dealer.
I know, the S3's were always a fave... one thing the S3 only has 2 of them

Shame as it would be the 1st choice otherwise.
Old 02 January 2007, 08:16 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

I tried the S3, but the R32 felt much more lively and had the wicked soundtrack and no turbo lag plus is steered better.

£17K is a lot for an S3.
Interesting, I wonder if an induction kit would sound the same as on the old VR's... at the end of the day the 3.2 is just a stroked 2.8 VR...

I loved the growl and huge grins the filter swap delivered.. you won't find many VR owners that don't have induction kits...
Old 02 January 2007, 08:19 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Bear in mind that the 2.7 bi-turbo is a GREAT torquey engine...... in the right car. In an A6, it's a bit under-powered imho. In the A4 (S4/RS4), you've got a nice combination - well, I think so, but I would considering that's what I drive!!

as above, don't compare different platforms - it's apples/pears......

All I can say is that on my Audi, it's been a VERY cheap year in terms of losses (so far )

Dan
I know.... The S4 Avant is an awsome package.. really is but I'm getting a hard time 'selling it' to the missus.. much older car... issues... high miles... etc... ironically if I pushed the boat out and delivered a newer V8 I might have more luck

Now theres a thing... 22k for a V8 Audi... made of granite... strong residuals or the 16-17k for the R32.... **** me... this is getting complicated... Should just buy another STi... Nice RA classic and pretend it's a family* car.. lol
Old 03 January 2007, 11:19 AM
Matt_taylor
Scooby Regular

mate of mine has a 52 plate one i think he paid 14k for it,
Old 03 January 2007, 11:23 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00
I know.... The S4 Avant is an awsome package.. really is but I'm getting a hard time 'selling it' to the missus.. much older car... issues... high miles... etc... ironically if I pushed the boat out and delivered a newer V8 I might have more luck

Now theres a thing... 22k for a V8 Audi... made of granite... strong residuals or the 16-17k for the R32.... **** me... this is getting complicated... Should just buy another STi... Nice RA classic and pretend it's a family* car.. lol
A mate of mine ran an R32 at the same time as me and then got an S4.

He said it was quick and sounded great but wasn't at all pleased with the "chuckability" of it and reckoned the Golf was much more fun to drive.
It was also a lot thirstier and munched tyres with that heavy engine over the front.

He now has a new RS4 which he's rather pleased with!
Old 03 January 2007, 06:18 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt_taylor
mate of mine has a 52 plate one i think he paid 14k for it,
Seen them with 60k for 13k

All depends I guess main dealer, low k's non imports etc I can see why they would charge 17k for a 15,000 miles example - full main dealer book etc etc
Old 03 January 2007, 06:19 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine ran an R32 at the same time as me and then got an S4.

He said it was quick and sounded great but wasn't at all pleased with the "chuckability" of it and reckoned the Golf was much more fun to drive.
It was also a lot thirstier and munched tyres with that heavy engine over the front.

He now has a new RS4 which he's rather pleased with!
Got another car for chucking around but I can see why that would be the case... RS4... luuuuurverly...
Old 03 January 2007, 07:16 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Again, can't compare the two platforms. R32 is a smaller car.

Can't say I've had any issues with excessive tyre wear though (and I'm no saint )

Lots of other choices too - whatever floats your boat really

dan
Old 03 January 2007, 07:44 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Scooby - His was the later shape V8 S4 Avant.
Old 04 January 2007, 01:09 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

ahh the heavy engine

Dan