Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Speccing new BMW 320d SE

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2006, 10:08 AM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speccing new BMW 320d SE

My mileage is going to jump massively from 10k to 30k (motorway), so to save on the depreciation, I'm jumping back into our Company Car scheme, and probably going for a BMW 320d SE (subject to my 3 day test drive in a week or so)

The question I have is what optional extras to add. If I put any extras on the car's SE spec, then I have to pay for up front to the dealer at the time of collection. Bit of a bummer, but it means I am really going to have think long and hard about what I want to pay for (being a tight git!)...The following are a list of what I thought about adding - has anyone any experience of them?

Probably getting:
Metallic paint (this is already paid for by the compay - the one option we are allowed!)

Still considering:
Front sports seats (£430) - I think they are slightly more comfortable, but worth the extra?
Hi-Fi Speaker system (£390) - I listen to Radio 5 and Rock music..not sure if the increase in quality with the original head unit would be good enough - anyone got experience of this speaker upgrade?
Bluetooth (£535) - obviously be better if I had a proper hands free (I have it now, just wired, not bluetooth), especially as I will be doing more miles, but is 500 quid worth it when I generally only receive calls, and could just get a decent bluetooth headset? (If I make calls in the car, then I would normally be writing things down, so would have pulled over anyway)

Definitely not:
Sat Nav (£1500/£1900) - not paying that when I have a perfectly good Tom-Tom that I use in preference to the BMW built-in one on my current car
6 Disc CD changer (£295!) - not when I've got everything on my iPod anyway, and there is a built in connection (although I believe a bit limited in playlists)
Logic 7 Pro (£820) - probably much better, but not at nearly a grand
Sports suspension - got that now - definitely too harsh for a 160bhp car that will do 95% of motorway driving

Any experiences?

Cheers
SB
Old 28 December 2006, 10:20 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

If you haven't test driven a 320 why are you not comparing with a make/model that has all that as standard or are cheaper options for example a Honda Accord/SAAB 9-3/Audi A4/Volvo S40?

All quality brands, and after all not your car.
Old 28 December 2006, 10:28 AM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
If you haven't test driven a 320 why are you not comparing with a make/model that has all that as standard or are cheaper options for example a Honda Accord/SAAB 9-3/Audi A4/Volvo S40?

All quality brands, and after all not your car.
Our company only allows German cars (BMW, Audi, VW), and the A4s come without lots of kit in the SE form that I actually want - iPod adapter, front armrest, reversing sensors (for the Mrs, honest!), cruise etc. I would then have to add on Bluetooth / Stereo upgrade / sports seats (unless I went for the S-Line - but that is short of loads of other bits and bobs). Add on to that the fact that I much prefer the drive on the 3-series to the A4, and it's a no-brainer [Edited to say I have had a 30 min drive in both, it's just my extended test drive is in a week or so]

I should have qualified what I said a bit more, but thought I'd already waffled enough
Old 28 December 2006, 10:28 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the seats if you really want them.

Otherwise I would say get the speakers upgraded (If you think it is worth it*).

Then go to a reputable Car stereo installer and have the Bluetooth kit that actually works with your phone installed. It will be less than £200 and should not affect the warranty. (Unless the stereo breaks, if it does get it taken out).

* Consider getting uprated direct replacement speakers fitted. No-one will ever really know.

Keep your Satnav, as you say.

The bluetooth and speaker savings will pay for your seats BTW.
Old 28 December 2006, 10:30 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

By works with your phone, I mean - voice dialling and auto answer etc...
Old 28 December 2006, 10:36 AM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Cheers Hol...
I had considered the independent route, but as the car would be owned by the leasing company, I assumed that I wouldnt be able to alter the stereo system...Might get away with a bluetooth kit fitted (as that isnt any kind of replacement to existing functionality, just addition)
Old 28 December 2006, 10:48 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Ah I see! The German cars all have extended option lists

As Hol says, I had one of the Parrott bluetooth kits on my Sti, and had the BT option in my Beemer. The Parrott kit did everything the BMW one does(no cradle available for my phone), had better support for phones, but didn't look as nice.

Would seriously consider the seats, nothing worse than having a car for 2-4 years and finding it uncomfortable. Is the Sport version not available soon?

Trending Topics

Old 28 December 2006, 12:01 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

agreed on the options list - scarily priced.
the sport version is available, so I would get the seats, but would have to delete the sport suspension (probably at a cost), and then pay extra for cruise\parking, and it would come with the M-Sport bodykit and wheels (which I dont really care about, but would end up paying the tax on).

Ideally I would go for a base model, and spec it with what I want, but as its the company policy not to allow any 'extras' on top of a standard model, it is much cheaper for me to go for the SE, and add a few bits on

Of course, my other option is a brand spanking new 335i, but I'd rather pay £2 - £2.5k a year in tax for a dull-ish car, than £6k depreciation + running costs. The saving should pay for a nice little Caterham/Westie for track days
Old 28 December 2006, 12:29 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scumbag
Still considering:
Front sports seats (£430) - I think they are slightly more comfortable, but worth the extra?
I think only you can answer this question, asre the seats REALLY £430 more confortable?
Hi-Fi Speaker system (£390) - I listen to Radio 5 and Rock music..not sure if the increase in quality with the original head unit would be good enough - anyone got experience of this speaker upgrade?
Again, only you can really answer this. Radio won't need great sound system, esp radio 5 which is MW anyway. You'd need to listen to the stereos in question with YOUR cds to know if the step up in quality (if there is any) is worth it. Are you a music connesseur? will you really appreciate the difference in a car anyway?

Bluetooth (£535) - obviously be better if I had a proper hands free (I have it now, just wired, not bluetooth), especially as I will be doing more miles, but is 500 quid worth it when I generally only receive calls, and could just get a decent bluetooth headset? (If I make calls in the car, then I would normally be writing things down, so would have pulled over anyway)
£535 for bluetooth!!! OMG. They REALLY see their customers coming don't they
6 Disc CD changer (£295!) - not when I've got everything on my iPod anyway, and there is a built in connection (although I believe a bit limited in playlists)
Check it has the iPod connector as standard.
Old 28 December 2006, 12:45 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, they see us coming...they have the lube out, and a desk ready to bend us over

iPod connector definitely standard.

Problem with the speakers is that I will really struggle to find a car that has that specific upgrade available for me to listen to...hence wondering if anyone has come across it. Admittedly for MW, it wont make diddly squats worth of difference, but I do like to crank up some AC/DC, Led Zep, Nickelback etc now and then . The upgraded stereo in my Leggy was excellent - better than the BMW/Audi offerings which are very ordinary. I certainly wouldnt call myself an audiophile (I prefer cds to vinyl, and I'm pretty sure that would get me shot in audiophile circles!)

The more I think about it the more I am veering away from the bluetooth
Old 28 December 2006, 12:52 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I drove a 320d SE and a 330d M-Sport back to back before eventually ordering the 335d M-Sport we have now.

The sports seats are very nice and extremely comfortable. The regular seats don't feel as nice, but I certainly don't remember them being in any way uncomfortable on the test drive.

Spec'd this on our 335d. I don't tend to listen to music in the car that much, but the sound quality on this is more than good enough for me.

Sat Nav (£1500/£1900) - not paying that when I have a perfectly good Tom-Tom that I use in preference to the BMW built-in one on my current car
The pro sat-nav with the big colour screen is a very nice option, both in terms of functionality and in the difference it makes to the entire interior. I'm not sure why you would use a tom-tom in preference, when you get all the additional annoyance of constantly removing it and installing it in the car. That said, if you've got to stump up £1900 upfront for it with no return, I can understand your reluctance.

There isn't a built in ipod specific connection. What you get is a simple aux input in the front armrest which takes standard 3.5mm jack plug. It sounds ok, but you still have to use the controls on the ipod as it's not integrated into the car hi-fi.

Gary.
Old 28 December 2006, 01:36 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Cheers Gary

Originally Posted by GCollier
The pro sat-nav with the big colour screen is a very nice option, both in terms of functionality and in the difference it makes to the entire interior. I'm not sure why you would use a tom-tom in preference, when you get all the additional annoyance of constantly removing it and installing it in the car. That said, if you've got to stump up £1900 upfront for it with no return, I can understand your reluctance..
I've got a late E46, and there isnt a postcode entry option on the satnav - drives me up the wall. I want a pub, I know its name, road, its postcode, but is it under Slough, or Beaconsfield, or Wooburn Green or Forte Green - right pain in the ****. With a postcode entry the problem solved instantly.

One of the other issues with getting the options is that if I get made redundant in 6 months, I've still had to pay for the options, and havent got the car anymore !

Originally Posted by GCollier
There isn't a built in ipod specific connection. What you get is a simple aux input in the front armrest which takes standard 3.5mm jack plug. It sounds ok, but you still have to use the controls on the ipod as it's not integrated into the car hi-fi.
Gary.
Fine by me - but at least I've got the option, and if its there, I dont want to pay shed loads for a cd changer

Is there much difference between the standard speakers and the upgraded option?
Old 28 December 2006, 01:47 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Seats are a must. Nothing worse than seeing a cheap skate spec BMW with fabric seats. Yuk

Avoid Silver with black interior (yawn, go on, be different - get a red one! )

Uprated wheels are a nice tweek nice with SE suspension if you want it slightly stiffer but not tooth-chipping like the sports spec. Avoid run-flats, they are expensive, they ruin the ride and are gaining an iffy reputation.

Uprated sound system is a must.

If you haggle at a dealer you might get the Bluetooth thrown in (business customer ), they usually chuck in the CD changer in the deal...but seeing you don't want that, it'll give you leverage....
Old 28 December 2006, 02:30 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

If its the bluetooth that comes combined with the radio check that it works wth your phone before spending the cash.
We have two MY06 3 series at work with the bluetooth radio option and neither of them will work with Sony Erricson phones - manual say it should work but just does not !
Old 28 December 2006, 02:42 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Someone at work was in the same situation recently - he wanted lots of options like automatic whippers (£300 or something ), but in the end didnt go for any.

Seats arent worth the extra £430 imo - and sports seats are sometimes not as comfy on long runs.

The standard stereo in the 320d SE is really very good, and you simply dont need the upgrade.

£500 for bluetooth kit?!! Cant you get get a nokia bluetooth kit fitted afterwards for £180 odd?!

Its also worth having a longer test run in an A4. I find the interior quality much better in my A4 than the E90 3-series, and its a nicer environment to be in - 3series interior feels a bit uninviting.
Old 28 December 2006, 07:17 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

I would say have at least a sit in a Sport model to see how YOU find the seats..................i personnally think that BMW sport seats are excellent compared with the standard offerings,but i am not the one who has to do the mileage in them that you have.

Other than that,the BMW Bluetooth i had in my M3 was ok,but ONLY OK,so as someone else has said,get yourself a Parrot kit,as i hear these are excellent,and when i get a car i am keeping for a decent amount of time i will definately be getting one,come with a screen,I-Drive style function dial,Voice Activation etc etc.

As for the other things,if Radio 5 is your thing,then maybe a speaker upgrade is not essential,and if you decide at a later date it is,get some upgraded speakers of your choice put in the standard locations and take them out when your lease is up,as again,i had the Harmon Kardon upgrade in my M3 and my Mini Cooper S and i thought it was rubbish.
Old 28 December 2006, 08:55 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Is there much difference between the standard speakers and the upgraded option?
I never had the chance to do a back to back comparison of the two systems, so ordered the upgraded system on the assumption that - historically - the standard fit stereos have always been a bit naff and classified as a must-have upgrade.

It may also be well worth haggling over the price of the options. My local BMW dealer guaranteed to match the best internet price of both car and options, so I ended up with a discount of approx 12%.

Gary.