Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VW Golf GTI or Seat Leon FR TDI

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2006, 10:04 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW Golf GTI or Seat Leon FR TDI

I have narrowed it down to either a mark 5 Golf GTI with leather and 40K on the clock or ex demo Seat Leon FR 170 TDI with 2k miles.

Costs to change of similar, Golf is (£500) cheaper and insurance is not much different either.

I do about 12,000miles a year.

Which do you reckon has the best long term ownership prospects taking depreciation, running costs and fun factor into account.

Cheers
Old 10 December 2006, 10:49 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonto
I have narrowed it down to either a mark 5 Golf GTI with leather and 40K on the clock or ex demo Seat Leon FR 170 TDI with 2k miles.

Costs to change of similar, Golf is (£500) cheaper and insurance is not much different either.

I do about 12,000miles a year.

Which do you reckon has the best long term ownership prospects taking depreciation, running costs and fun factor into account.

Cheers
If your doing 12k Id go for the Golf, I would expect much higher residuals and the Engine & Handling are outstanding.. The Mk2 Leons a nice car though, and the 170 Tdi must go really well.

Or consider the Leon FR 2.0 with the same Engine as the Golf? The only thing I dont really like about the Leon Mk2's was the interior, although Id put up with it in the Cupra R

Chris (MkV Gti with about 40k funnily enough!)
Old 10 December 2006, 11:15 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

residuals are important and the interior in the Leon was a let down to be honest, just looked plain dull. I discounted the Leon 2.0t as out of the Leon's i felt the diesel was the better option in the Leon and the petrol in the golf.

How has you found your golf overall. What mpg do get and what are the service intervals? cam belt? etc.

I am swinging towards the Golf to be honest.
Old 11 December 2006, 03:53 PM
ChrisB

Has the Golf got those lovely alloys? If so, buy it mate
Old 11 December 2006, 06:00 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Test drive them both properly and you'll love the Leon!!

Really nice to drive with really good brakes and the 170PS TDI engine is absolutely superb!!! The standard alloys on the FR are pretty nice too.

I test drove one a few months ago and wanted one BUT couldn't get delivery of one quick enough for my needs. I bought an A3 S-Line with the same engine (now done just over 7k) and its getting better and better as it loosens up. The torque from the engine is VERY nice and the traction control works overtime in 1st and 2nd gear when pressing on. The FR will definately not disapoint on the performance front, I certainly don't miss my WRX driving my A3 with the 170Ps TDi engine.

Even on high speed runs I never get below 35mpg and driving normally with my heavy right foot I average 45mpg.

The FR interior is quite plain, much like the Golfs in fact and you'll notice alot of identical parts (as I do on my A3).

I looked at Golfs, Leon and A3's when looking for a new car and for the price put the Leon on top of my list.

All down to personal preference though.
Old 11 December 2006, 07:49 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonto
residuals are important and the interior in the Leon was a let down to be honest, just looked plain dull. I discounted the Leon 2.0t as out of the Leon's i felt the diesel was the better option in the Leon and the petrol in the golf.

How has you found your golf overall. What mpg do get and what are the service intervals? cam belt? etc.

I am swinging towards the Golf to be honest.
Agree regarding the Interiors, its a shame.. But then its cheaper..

Found the Golf great, still love the handling and engine note.. Car has a good "feel" about it too, which I cant explain..

MPG - Im not the best person to ask () But anywhere between 35 to 40 on a very gentle commute, 30 for normal driving, and much, much lower when the opertunity arises! I think the book figure is 35mpg combined though..

Chris