Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

It's time to leave...

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2006, 08:28 PM
ScoobyDraven
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's time to leave...

I bought a MY03 STi PPP brand new in May 03 and despite still loving the performance of the car I cant live with the looks and lack of refinement any more.

So top of the list at the moment is an RS4 (new one) and this is pretty much attainable however I'm a bit concerned that I'll fork out for one of these and the new M3 will be released at some point next year and end up being a better car.

As a result I'm thinking of getting a year old M3 to 'tie me over' until the new M3 is out and a decent comparison can be made. Does anyone have any experience of the current M3 and in particular going to one from the quicker(?) STi.
Old 01 December 2006, 09:57 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Try Juggers on here or PCM (same person) as he's got an RS4 for sale

TX.
Old 01 December 2006, 10:22 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Yeah but once the new M3 is out the new RS5 will be out shortly after so you might miss out again! Rumours for the RS5 unit points to a 5.2 V10 lambo engine with 480-520hp!

The lambos will be going up to some big capacity V12 around that time.
Old 01 December 2006, 10:29 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

RS5 ???????????????
Old 01 December 2006, 10:32 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default I went from a wrx tek 3

to an m3 and from your comments I think it will check most of your boxes. However you will loose lots on the m3, I lost an average of 1k per month in 8 months in depreciation. Its a great car, at the ring the true chassis balance and rear wheel drive were fantastic along with a comfortable cruise back home hitting and indicated 160 time after time on the autobahn.

On a typical bumpy b road the suspension is too hard though in the UK, I'm still to drive a german car which shows the germans understand damping and spring rates that can cope!

Go an have a go, you'll make your mind up there and then I reckon. RS4 is a nice bit of kit different again....
Old 01 December 2006, 10:32 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Have to say the new RS4 really is an amazing car with very very little to fault. The new M3 will have to go some to be discernably better, so unless you have any particular badge allegiance, I'd go for a 'nearly new' RS4 now.
Old 01 December 2006, 10:34 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by cat7
I'm still to drive a german car which shows the germans understand damping and spring rates that can cope!
Try an E39 M5. Teaches the M3 and my Audi RS6 (and even my old scooby) a lesson in most areas (on A/B roads. The M3 is markedly more purposeful on track, naturally.)

Trending Topics

Old 01 December 2006, 10:38 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
RS5 ???????????????

yep and shortly after the RS5 will follow a RS4 and a RS version of the TT with 370hp. Oh and then theres the mid engined audi R4 thats coming along in the not too distant future.

RS5 should come sometime 2008.
Old 01 December 2006, 10:38 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Why buy a year old M3 and take a bit hit? If you decide to get one why not
3-4 years old?
Old 01 December 2006, 11:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like cat7, my 18 month old M3 was losing £900 per month.

I was also looking for an E39 M5, but didn't find good examples.

Disappointments with the M3 after a modded UK Scooby were brakes, lack of compliance on bumpy roads, traction in the snow, and to some degree lack of performance, especially torque.

An E46 M3 over three years old could be a bit of a nightmare. It would have a production date where the big end problem was not sorted, so you will be buying a car that has had its big end bearings changed. Then you'll want to warranty it as they are not reliable and the repair costs are high. Unfortunately the warranty is expensive, has major exclusions and an excess!

I'd be interested in the new RS6 if they've improved the handling and it has a biturbo 5.2 I think I would always feel that the new RS4 was lacking the performance/handling of my Evo even though as an all rounder it is a far better car.

Always a compromise at any cost unfortunately.
Old 01 December 2006, 11:09 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my STi in August, like yourself I'd had enough of Subaru after 6 yrs of them and got a 02' M3, performance wise it feels slower than my STi (which had around 400bhp) because the power delivery is so linear without any turbo bolstered mid range punch, but you do have to rev the engine to get the best from it, in reality i doubt there's much in it and if your car only has PPP then you may find it a bit quicker.

In terms of driver involvement i find the M to be far more interesting/challenging, and the comfort/equipment level is so much better, but you don't by a Impreza for it's interior.

I'd advise you to go and drive a few to get an idea of what there all about, try both coupe and vert with 19" and 18" and see what you like the most, Personally i found a coupe with 18" the best combination.
Old 01 December 2006, 11:17 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Why not get a Monaro VXR 500?

Edit: 500BHP, Like sitting in a lazyboy armchair, Vocal character that a subaru could only dream of

Last edited by Tobisausage; 01 December 2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03 December 2006, 01:37 PM
ScoobyDraven
Scooby Regular

Guys, thanks very much for your replies, it's certainly given me something to think about.

This car business really does drive me mad sometimes! Whenever I buy a new car I always go through the same month long honeymoon period and then end up thinking I've made the wrong choice and should have gone for whatever else was on my list.

I didn't realise that the depreciation could be that bad so that's definately something to bear in mind, fortunately I have a family member that works in a BMW dealership so I'm hoping there could be a deal to be done if I decide to go for one.

I've been on a track day at Donnington in an E46 M3 (as a passenger) and although it didn't feel quicker than my STi it felt a lot more stable on the track, particularly under braking. Performance wise it's still a fast car and with it becoming more and more difficult to drive quickly on our roads these days anyway, it's probably fast enough (can't believe I've just said that!).

Ultimately I want a car that is less conspicuous than a blue and gold rally rep with an aeroplane hangar on the bonnet, is far more luxurious inside but still goes a bit!

I'm probably most worried about losing 4WD and getting used to RWD if I'm honest.
Old 03 December 2006, 02:19 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by AudiLover
yep and shortly after the RS5 will follow a RS4 and a RS version of the TT with 370hp. Oh and then theres the mid engined audi R4 thats coming along in the not too distant future.

RS5 should come sometime 2008.
So, on the basis of current Audi naming convention, an RS5 means a new bodystyle.

A4 coupe perhaps?

"shortly after the RS5 will follow an RS4"

We already have an RS4

And I think the new mid engined Audi is called R8, not R4

You back on the drugs again?
Old 03 December 2006, 02:58 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

The "R" range is going to get expanded by audi. Think of the R4 as a caymen beater.

The new A4 will debut next year as will the A5. The A5 will debut at geneva and the A4 at frankfurt. The A5 which is going to be bigger than a A4 but smaller than a A6, but yes basically a A4 coupe. Its going to be more expensive than a entry level 3 series coupe, but cheaper than a entry level CLK.

Some sources have called the new A5 as the succesor to the UrQuattro.

Audi are finally gonna stop introducing RS models so late into the models lifespan, as to combat the M range more. The S range will continue to exist as a more comfortable cruiser to the M range with around the same performance but just more relaxed. The RS range purpose is to slap M cars silly. We should see more CSL models from BMW to combat audi's RS range.

Mercedes doesnt even compete with the two, they are above that and are more exclusive. They are going back to their roots where if you have a MB people will recognise that "you have made it".

Old 03 December 2006, 03:40 PM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

Audi as always play second fiddle to BMW. BMW will remain king of the road for quite some time regardless if Audi bring out 780 different models

Take a good look at Audi emissions before making a purchase as they are very unenviromentally friendly.
Old 03 December 2006, 03:48 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

lol what was that troll?

Taken from the BBC website:

Old 03 December 2006, 03:59 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by AudiLover
lol what was that troll?

Taken from the BBC website:

Somewhat misleading on a brand by brand basis dude...
Old 03 December 2006, 04:17 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDraven
and with it becoming more and more difficult to drive quickly on our roads these days anyway, it's probably fast enough (can't believe I've just said that!).

Ultimately I want a car that is less conspicuous than a blue and gold rally rep with an aeroplane hangar on the bonnet, is far more luxurious inside but still goes a bit!

I'm probably most worried about losing 4WD and getting used to RWD if I'm honest.
SD,

Are you me..?????!!??? I'm in exactly the same position as you. I'm currently closely looking at the 335i and d. Seems virtually as quick as an E46 M3, but a bit more subtle and comfy and both better than my WRX on economy .

Like you though, the AWD to RWD and /wet & snow issues worries me, but I may get a spare set of cheaper BMW alloys with winter tyres on or just use my runabout £100 special '92 1.0L Polo on Colway winter tyres to use in sh*t weather.

I'll be following this thread with interest.
Old 03 December 2006, 04:39 PM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

That data is pointless without knowing on what basis they have complied the data. Audi sell a load of A2's, BMW sell a load of X5's then they can print that the emissions of BMW's sold are far greater than Audi's. Get a grip man and accept that there are for more marques than just Audi and in a number of cases provide a better solution.

You admitted defeat on a previous thread that car for car the emissions of an Audi is far greater than BMW or Merc's. Show me similar cars where Audi are cleaner than some grand sweeping rubbish you have put together.

Now finish your homework before dinner
Old 03 December 2006, 05:12 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiHater
That data is pointless without knowing on what basis they have complied the data. Audi sell a load of A2's, BMW sell a load of X5's then they can print that the emissions of BMW's sold are far greater than Audi's. Get a grip man and accept that there are for more marques than just Audi and in a number of cases provide a better solution.

You admitted defeat on a previous thread that car for car the emissions of an Audi is far greater than BMW or Merc's. Show me similar cars where Audi are cleaner than some grand sweeping rubbish you have put together.

Now finish your homework before dinner
I dont think its based on sales volume at all you ****. It would be complete stupidity if it was, and the A2 doesnt exist.

I admitted defeat when the BBC clearly shows that BMW's are worse for the enviroment than audi's? lol I dont think so.

P.S

Did you know that the only reason why bmw made the *35i engine was because of the success audi were having with their turbo units and they wanted a slice of the pie!

BMW are now also gonna make Turbo versions of their 2.2 litre models also. So much for NA being the best and BMW never straying from NA.
Old 03 December 2006, 06:20 PM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

Point me to the website where you got the data.

Thanks
Old 03 December 2006, 09:43 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Point me to the website where you got the data.

Thanks
ok slowly now. It is

w
w
w
b
b
c
c
o
u
k

Then search for vehicle emissions.

anyway

Old 03 December 2006, 11:06 PM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

I can only assume you made it up as you can't be bothered to provide the link.
Old 03 December 2006, 11:11 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
Did I really type that...???

I'm afraid I won't be following this thread "with interest" as it seems to have transformed with both sides of the Audi "friends" having axes to grind with each other. C'mon guys, give the rest of us a break, eh..?

Thanks.
Old 03 December 2006, 11:35 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

FAO Audi Lover - nice!! Not!

Old 04 December 2006, 06:31 AM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

Did I really type that...???

I'm afraid I won't be following this thread "with interest" as it seems to have transformed with both sides of the Audi "friends" having axes to grind with each other. C'mon guys, give the rest of us a break, eh..?

Thanks.
You are right and I apologise to all.

On the original topic I'd look at getting a 02 M3 with low mileage and owners. Can be picked up sub 20k now and you can own one for a year without getting hit too hard. Get an RS4 when they are three years old.
Old 04 December 2006, 10:23 AM
ScoobyDraven
Scooby Regular

SD,

Are you me..?????!!??? I'm in exactly the same position as you. I'm currently closely looking at the 335i and d. Seems virtually as quick as an E46 M3, but a bit more subtle and comfy and both better than my WRX on economy .

Like you though, the AWD to RWD and /wet & snow issues worries me, but I may get a spare set of cheaper BMW alloys with winter tyres on or just use my runabout £100 special '92 1.0L Polo on Colway winter tyres to use in sh*t weather.

I must admit also looking at the 335i as I've heard so many good reports about it and as you say it is almost as quick as the E46 M3.

I also looked at a Porsche Cayman S and I would have one of these in a flash but I need a car where I can still fit a couple of kids in the back even though it's not the main family car (7 seater does that job!).

Sounds like you have got the right idea with your Polo, maybe I should get one of those too!
Old 04 December 2006, 12:41 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

You are right and I apologise to all.

On the original topic I'd look at getting a 02 M3 with low mileage and owners. Can be picked up sub 20k now and you can own one for a year without getting hit too hard. Get an RS4 when they are three years old.
Firstly, fair play to you mate for posting that. Well done.

Now, back on track (pun intended!):
[I]
Originally Posted by ScoobyDraven[/I
]I must admit also looking at the 335i as I've heard so many good reports about it and as you say it is almost as quick as the E46 M3.

I also looked at a Porsche Cayman S and I would have one of these in a flash but I need a car where I can still fit a couple of kids in the back even though it's not the main family car (7 seater does that job!).

Sounds like you have got the right idea with your Polo, maybe I should get one of those
SD,

We are in a very similar boat..!
I also looked at a Cayman, but was a little disappointed with the write ups in the motoring press for what should be a fantastic car. I was also curious how the insurance would work out. I also need to have rear seats for the occasions where I take my kids out (if the ex. lets me!).

From what I've heard, the new M3 will be around the low £50k's, and knowing BMW, speccing it nicely will add on top of that considerably. I specced a current 335i coupe nicely and ended up looking at £43k..! The 335 diesel engine is also only 20 bhp less, but 100-odd Nm's of torque more. Yet another thing to consider I suppose..!!! I've also read that the M cars are more expensive to look after properly and that a warranty of some sort is imperative. I always get worried when I read and hear things like that...!! The 335 adds an ounce of comfort and civility too compared to the M, but on the other hand, may not be quite as much fun due to it's smoothness....

As for the polo, cheap and reliable or what. Perfect shopping car. A £30 tank of petrol running back and forth to work and around the town lasts a month or so and the lack of worrying about scratches and dents in car parks is like lifting a weight off my shoulders..!! It only cost £100, <60k miles and a whole bunch of receipts. If it needs anything doing costing over £150 it goes in the bin..lol!! Keep the nice car for any journeys over 10 miles so it warms up properly and away you go.....!!
Old 04 December 2006, 01:38 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

lol fairplay to a guy whose primary purpose is to troll against my posts :haha:

If it was me I would scrap the RS4 and M3 idea, and go with a C55 AMG. They hold their value pretty well, and then once the new M3 is out you can see what its like and make your choice between it and a RS4.

The C55 AMG is a amazing vehicle. Soooooo smooth.