Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Round the block review: MY06 Mercedes C class 200 CDI Classic auto.

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2006, 04:39 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Round the block review: MY06 Mercedes C class 200 CDI Classic auto.

Thought I would write a brief ‘round the block review’ of the Mercedes C class 200 CDI Classic auto that a colleague has borrowed.

The exterior of the car looks like the C class always has, despite the 56reg. This particular car is in a mid blue metallic with what look like 15” alloy wheels. The door handles are matt black, unlike the bump strips so it immediate looks like a base model.

The car has a light interior and felt spacious enough. The seat has a few difference settings, but I got it there about and set off. The seats are basic, no real support and quite hard. The dash layout is modern, with a large screen type affair in the centre and all the heating controls are below that. Oddly the switch to retract your rear head rests is twice the size as the one to operate the rear heated screen. A bit of a muddle in that respect.

I fired up the 4pot diesel, and unlike some other modern diesels it was quite taxi like, a touch noisy and vibrated on the controls a bit too much. But I set off on my 2 mile round trip. Thankfully it does NOT have the dreaded CVT gearbox – as I planted the pedal I established this model is made for frugal comfort rather than spicy oil burner. The gearbox is smooth and changes pretty seamlessly.

As usual, all the wipers, indicators and flashy lights are on the one left hand stalk, which was easy enough to operate. The lights and wipers were auto though. The steering wheel was leather wrapped and chunky, and the steering was responsive and well waited under normal operation conditions. I found the steering wheel mounted controls for the on board computer display some what distracting though. You need to operate this stationary IMO then set your desired display i.e. mileage, mpg, journey time etc etc.

The other couple of things I like is the foot brake to operate the hand brake and the speed limiter/cruise control. This is fantastic for driving in today's world of camera’s and traffic police. You have an option to set your speed, anywhere from 10-150mph I think – as you drive you hit a natural brick wall thus reigning in the speed, but allows you to drive as normal up to that pace. Once you turn off the engine it turns off as default. However, if you need to do some evasive you can push on the kick down and it will override it

The other option is cruise control, and you all know how that works.

I found the ride to be pretty good for a reasonably short wheel base, it felt like a much bigger car in that respect. All other operations felt normal, the car didn’t excite but it was a reasonable way to get from a-b.

I think the car in question is around £24000, so a lot of money really. Not sure who this car would appeal too though – anyone have this car?

AM3

EDIT: I had a look on the website, this might be the car: 200 CDI Saloon Elegance SE, Windsor fabric - alpaca grey with Jasper blue metallic.

Total price(incl. VAT excl. OTR) 24,280

Last edited by Andy M3; 29 November 2006 at 09:05 AM.
Old 28 November 2006, 05:15 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

BUT I COULD HAVE IT IN THE TWISTIES LOL!!!!!!1111111111
Old 29 November 2006, 01:13 AM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

24k for a diesel taxi

Unless you are talking av=

boutr A====

24k for a diesel taxi
Old 29 November 2006, 01:14 AM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

24k for a diesel taxi
Old 29 November 2006, 02:05 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I've had a go of the C220 CDI model - it was ok and fairly nippy up to m-way speeds, agree with it sounding like a taxi though. I was however very, very dissapointed with the interior - the seats were horrible although the car was a courtesy car and being so was the base model (i think it was the classic)

It was ok but for the money give me an Audi or BMW anyday.

I just could not get used to the seats
Old 29 November 2006, 06:13 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

If it had black door handles I would suggest that it was probably the base 'classic' model. My old man's had a couple of C-classes, 230K elegance models, which for him was fine as a mile muncher, but wouldn't set the world alight or be memorable after getting out of the car. The CLK he had before was soo much nicer, but obviously didn't have the 4 door practicality. The base model does seem overpriced for the little kit that you get.
Old 29 November 2006, 06:27 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Had one of these recently for the weekend, my wifes mid range Fabia has better seating.
The likes of Ford and Volkswagon offer far better family diesels for far less money IMO.

Just depends if you want the badge.

Cheers
Lee

Trending Topics

Old 04 December 2006, 02:33 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Angry SOME PEOPLE

What were you saying about some people just do it for the badge. Badge snobery gets you nowhere!!!!!

Old 04 December 2006, 03:20 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

WTF?????

Please dont say vandals?????
Old 04 December 2006, 03:52 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

The Merc handbrake is something that annoys me. Thankfully with an auto you don't need the handbrake that much as the gearbox will hold it, or in park its got the transmission lock.
Old 04 December 2006, 04:01 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
WTF?????

Please don't say vandals?????
I think it is - can't see it being anything else - no cracked paint, and no other damage other than the 2 doors, and broken mirror [still largely in tact]???
Old 04 December 2006, 04:06 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
I think it is - can't see it being anything else - no cracked paint, and no other damage other than the 2 doors, and broken mirror [still largely in tact]???
They want their f***ing ***** cutting off - a***holes!!!