Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

The joys of 6 series ownership!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2006, 08:35 AM
bettyboo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The joys of 6 series ownership!!!!!

Just thought id let you all have a laugh at me!!

Have had the car now for 6 months and have managed to trash a front tyre which i had to replace at a cost of £250, and yesterday my back tyre blew out!!!!!

Wonderful BMW, no spare, no tyre saver, NO NOTHING BUT A TOW TRUCK!!!!

And to top it all a bill for £350 for a new tyre.

There you go all have a laugh on me, as you know you want to!!!!!
Old 22 November 2006, 08:39 AM
Torpid
BANNED

I presume it's on run flats? If so what happened in the blow out, was it any better than a normal tyre?
Old 22 November 2006, 08:45 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

When my M5 alarm system failed they towed the car to the dealership and provided me with an 'equivalent' hire car under waranty.

"Astra diesel estate"

The equivalent being that they were both defined as 'cars'
Old 22 November 2006, 09:16 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
When my M5 alarm system failed they towed the car to the dealership and provided me with an 'equivalent' hire car under waranty.

"Astra diesel estate"

The equivalent being that they were both defined as 'cars'
Old 22 November 2006, 11:00 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I thought BMW's were reliable, just had to take ours to the dealer this morning as the traction and ABS have failed, which I proved by going sideways round a roundabout the other night

They can't fit us in til Friday though, and no courtesy car this time

Apart from that it's been OK though
Old 22 November 2006, 11:44 AM
sunflowerkiss
Scooby Regular

The car is an ex demo and boasts 20" Alpina Wheels (Boasts!!!!! what a complete and utter laugh), therefore the tyres are not able to be runflats!!!??????, there is no spare tyre, no space saver, and no mobility kit.

Does anyone know what this car should come equipt with in the event of a flat tyre etc as i need to give my dealership a b*lloking but need to know?
Old 22 November 2006, 11:54 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sunflowerkiss
The car is an ex demo and boasts 20" Alpina Wheels (Boasts!!!!! what a complete and utter laugh), therefore the tyres are not able to be runflats!!!??????, there is no spare tyre, no space saver, and no mobility kit.

Does anyone know what this car should come equipt with in the event of a flat tyre etc as i need to give my dealership a b*lloking but need to know?
I think a car must be equipped with a method of getting you home(or off the motorway at least) in the event of a puncture, some hyper cars have only a can of tyreweld or other puncture sealant I think.

I think no method is illegal(almost certain).
hth.
Old 22 November 2006, 12:05 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Do they not have that tyre foam stuff in the boot somewhere?
Old 22 November 2006, 12:10 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to drive without a spare, or method of re-inflating the tyres, unless you are on run-flats.
Old 22 November 2006, 12:11 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

EVO just had the same problem with a blown tyre on a GT3 RS. I specially ordered a spare tyre on my new car for exactly this reason. Suppose you were out in the middle of nowhere on a winter's night with no mobile signal and this happened. You would be totally stuffed. The only reason manufacturers do this, and the Germans are the worst culprits, is so they can fit massive wheels and still claim decent boot space. It also saves them a few extra kilos on their lardmobiles. A space saver spare should be a legal requirement or at worst it should mean a signifcantly reduced rating in magazine road tests if it is missing. That would get them thinking and provoke some change. Just another one of my pet hates
Old 22 November 2006, 02:00 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't ding the new BM's as they have alloy panels, bonding and stuff. There is a US website that says BMW have warned owners over there of expensive repair costs for frontal damage. I'll try and find it again and put up a clicky.
Old 22 November 2006, 02:39 PM
sunflowerkiss
Scooby Regular

Ohhhh guess what, just spoke to my dealership, Sytner Solihull, who say there was a mobility kit in the boot (no there was not), ooooh you are very right we will drop one over right now (30 mile round trip), whats this all about then, me thinks they tried to pull a quick one!!!
Old 22 November 2006, 02:46 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell us what it consists of when you get it
Old 22 November 2006, 02:49 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Ohhhh guess what, just spoke to my dealership, Sytner Solihull, who say there was a mobility kit in the boot (no there was not), ooooh you are very right we will drop one over right now (30 mile round trip), whats this all about then, me thinks they tried to pull a quick one!!!
As above WTF's a Mobility Kit
Old 22 November 2006, 03:00 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Do they not have that tyre foam stuff in the boot somewhere?
Tyre foam does not blow the tyre up or re inflate it either and is only recommended for smaller tyres anyway. Still bad do do!!
Old 22 November 2006, 03:34 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Old 22 November 2006, 04:53 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

should be a run flat, i have a 1 series and they are equipped with run flats
Old 22 November 2006, 05:55 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

my m5 just has a can of foam, as does the Audi
Old 22 November 2006, 06:19 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
It consists of a small compressor with mousse to re-inflate the tyre.
Old 22 November 2006, 06:23 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
It consists of a small compressor with mousse to re-inflate the tyre.
Cue MX-5 and TT jokes...
Old 22 November 2006, 06:35 PM
sunflowerkiss
Scooby Regular

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO

and now the lighter has packed up, still no mobility kit delivered (cant wait to see whats in it, prob a can of helium and some plasters!!!!!)

Well watch this space for full up to date information on what to expect when you spend a shed load on a car!!!!!

Right off to watch Hollyoaks
Old 22 November 2006, 09:02 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I had an E60 530i from virtually new and the thing did my head in. The damn onboard computers were always finding things wrong with the car, or stuff that needed to be serviced. The run-flats were loud and tramlined. And it would appear that the interior was poorly designed without any usability consultants involved.

And just because you spend a lot of money don't expect any special service from dealers, they still hold the same contempt for you
Old 23 November 2006, 10:05 AM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I had an E60 530i from virtually new and the thing did my head in. The damn onboard computers were always finding things wrong with the car, or stuff that needed to be serviced. The run-flats were loud and tramlined. And it would appear that the interior was poorly designed without any usability consultants involved.

And just because you spend a lot of money don't expect any special service from dealers, they still hold the same contempt for you
Hey, the BMW dealer I visited last month didn't even want my money. I told them what I was looking for, left all my details and never heard from them again.
Old 23 November 2006, 11:18 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Hey, the BMW dealer I visited last month didn't even want my money. I told them what I was looking for, left all my details and never heard from them again.

At a local Merc. dealer you can't just turn up and talk about buying a new car, you have to make an appointment with an advisor and return at a later date to discuss the purchase.
Old 23 November 2006, 11:49 AM
jonnyh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to drive without a spare, or method of re-inflating the tyres, unless you are on run-flats.

The spare tyre (or pump) is not part of an MOT check so I don't see that its a legal requirement.
Old 23 November 2006, 11:53 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyh
The spare tyre (or pump) is not part of an MOT check so I don't see that its a legal requirement.

Its not an mot problem its the construction and use regs. that apply I think.
Old 23 November 2006, 01:16 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
lol, same from my local BMW dealer, gave details of what I was looking for (X5 4.4s) and asked them to track one down. Never heard back from them ended up finding one myself.
Same old story, I probably didn't look like someone that could pay 25k for a car, but it's their lost.
I did let them carry out some Warrantly fixes though . I also enjoyed letting the saleman that took my details know that he missed out on some nice commission, car was at another dealers 40 miles away.

"Sorry about the confusion, but please pop in any time, and if you are thinking of changing car let us know"

"eeemmmmmmmm no "
Old 23 November 2006, 03:42 PM
sunflowerkiss
Scooby Regular

Da Da Da, holding breath for what must be the most fantastic item to assist a blowout........................................... .............

A flat tyre mayby but a blow out errrrrrrr no.

Delivered in person by my friendly BMW Salesman, who informs me that in the event of a blowout again call BMW emergency services, who will TOW THE CAR AWAY!!!!!!!!! Loving it
Old 23 November 2006, 03:49 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

I also think if you use this when you have a flat tyre it means the tyre is unrepairable and must be replaced. On your 20" tyres that wont be cheap, so if you ever have a flat try the pump first just incase that gets you to a garage that can do a repair.
HTH.
Old 23 November 2006, 05:07 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

I would be more pissed off that the dealer and how they had missed this from the boot. Certainly questions their PDI.

I would also make them re-emburse you any costs caused by the missing parts.

Ive got a bmw m3 and I hate, and I mean a hate, my dealers. I find them arrogant wanekrs that can only replace and not fix. Even then they cant get the right part / fix. I went in there to buy a M3 convertible but as I was in shorts and unshaven was totally ignored. £120 p hour, and on investigation one of their trainee's is working on the car ? Hell no.

Fair play, I went to a trader mate and brought one. Saved me 5K. Like above, I got my dealer to do all the warranty fixes.

I want an X5 3.0d sport, but hate the dealers so much I cant do it. Merc dealers arent any better.

SBK

Last edited by sbk1972; 23 November 2006 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: The joys of 6 series ownership!!!!!