Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2006, 12:20 PM
Matt_taylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX7 vs scoob

my mate has just brought a 400bhp (supposidly) RX7,

nice looking car....

But went out in it last night with him and didnt feel as rapid as my 280bhp impreza uk turbo???

what you think??
Old 15 November 2006, 12:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if he can get the power down and it is indeed running 400bhp he'll eat you alive mate

guessing and having in reality power figures can sometimes be quite different
Old 15 November 2006, 12:32 PM
jonathan100
Scooby Regular

A 400bhp rx7 should feel a hell of a lot faster than your scoob. I have a suspition it might be way under 400. still nice cars though
Old 15 November 2006, 12:38 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've been in a 500bhp RX-7 (stripped out) and the main thing i noticed is the smooth power delivery so it didn't feel as urgent a scooby (by that i mean when the turbo kicks in) but looking at the speedo proved how quick we were going.
Old 15 November 2006, 01:02 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

I had a simliar feeling when my friend took me out in his 600+ rex....
Then when I decided to pit against him I realised it's a lot quicker....

Don't forget that rex's and skylines have their power delivery much higher up the rev range...then keep going and going and going
(until they pop and rex's DO pop)
Old 15 November 2006, 01:04 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The problem with these things is getting the power down. My mates RX7 was RR at 390bhp and I beat him over 350m of a 402m 1/4er mile strip in a 240bhp S2000, which is a little heavier! However, once he got her motoring in 3rd gear he reeled me in and passed with ease as we were nearing the line and trapped a good 9mph faster!! Says its all It doesn't feel that fast to be in I must admit
Old 15 November 2006, 01:19 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Trouble is with RX7 if a few pipes start to go on the sequential turbos, which i think has over 60 small pipes they lose power very quickly.
Old 15 November 2006, 02:22 PM
Matt_taylor
Scooby Regular

tahts what i thought... he would eat me alive..

thin kthe guy who sold it to him was winding him up, yes he seems to come on boost alot later than me!!

if i was to race him on a track... i gotta use the bends lol..
Old 15 November 2006, 04:49 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt_taylor
my mate has just brought a 400bhp (supposidly) RX7,

nice looking car....

But went out in it last night with him and didnt feel as rapid as my 280bhp impreza uk turbo???

what you think??
Bolloc*s - I had a dyno proven 2.5 20g, Scoob running 370/370 and the RX7 I currently have running 300bhp at the wheels circa 350bhp at the fly feels just as quick as my scoob if not quicker. The perception of speed is certainly quicker, and will spin the rear wheels in 2nd on demand and spin them in 3rd in on slightly damp roads.

My 300bhp+ at the wheels RX7 would quick frankly destroy a 280bhp Scoob. My brother has a tek3 VF35 classic running circa 300bhp and the RX7 would destroy it. Its not a little quicker its massiviely quicker. I am able to over take my brothers scoob whilst he is still gunning it.

yours mates RX7 is either very sick or the scoob is something a little special.
Old 15 November 2006, 04:53 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G
(until they pop and rex's DO pop)
Not if they are looked after and running correct AFR's/ map and all hoses are in place and nothing pops off. Can be reasonably reliable is all is kept in order.
Old 15 November 2006, 04:55 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

much the same as anything then.......
Old 15 November 2006, 04:56 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Like Imprezas have a good rep for engine failure.....
Old 15 November 2006, 04:57 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
i've been in a 500bhp RX-7 (stripped out) and the main thing i noticed is the smooth power delivery so it didn't feel as urgent a scooby (by that i mean when the turbo kicks in) but looking at the speedo proved how quick we were going.
My RX7 is a non sequential twin turbo and packs a real punch, and then keeps going and going. A standard twin turbo is probably a bit linear, but a single turbo or non sequential RX7 is a different animal.

Any RX7 running 350+ at the fly will be a non sequential or single turbo RX7. If your mates "400bhp" RX7 is still a sequential twin turbo RX7 then he is probably running similar power to the scoob. And nothing like 400bhp

But even then i would expect the RX7 to pull away from the scoob.
Old 15 November 2006, 04:59 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

no no....they do pop and it's fact....
even with everything strapped down.....30k and pop....

I've been under enough to know.....

Not slagging the cars off, but when you go for big power and ditch the twins....then you start loosing chunks....
But at £3k a re-build, it's not all bad.....
Old 15 November 2006, 05:01 PM
Matt_taylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
My RX7 is a non sequential twin turbo and packs a real punch, and then keeps going and going. A standard twin turbo is probably a bit linear, but a single turbo or non sequential RX7 is a different animal.

Any RX7 running 350+ at the fly will be a non sequential or single turbo RX7. If your mates "400bhp" RX7 is still a sequential twin turbo RX7 then he is probably running similar power to the scoob. And nothing like 400bhp

thats what i was thinkin but he couldnt... think its is sick.. its missing slightly

i was only askin a simple question i knwo his car is quicker u dont have to shoot me down
Old 15 November 2006, 05:07 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

*****. The rex will waste any scooby. Not guessing or making predictions but seriously, its no match.
Old 15 November 2006, 05:07 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
much the same as anything then.......
Yep......... But I would have to be first to admit I would say a the scoob has the edge on reliability. But the RX7 gets an unfair rap IMHO with regards to reliability. Even when they do go pop, they can be rebuilt for less than 3K and thats street ported as well. Take the engine out and send to a builder and you are talking just over 2K for a build. Get the bits and do it yourself, and it gets even cheaper.
Old 15 November 2006, 05:12 PM
Matt_taylor
Scooby Regular

this one he brought non of the gauges this guy fitted work... think im gonna be spending the weekend gettin em to work
Old 15 November 2006, 05:13 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

thats what i was thinkin but he couldnt... think its is sick.. its missing slightly

i was only askin a simple question i knwo his car is quicker u dont have to shoot me down

Sorry Mate - It probably does look like I'm shooting you down. NOT intended my apologies. Gut reaction to a post can often give a false impression.

Have had about 5 scoobs now, in various shapes and sizes and states of tune and can honestly say the RX7 is the fastest car I have ever owned. And thats even pitched against some non scoobs like a recently owned VX220 Turbo with Stage2. I'm not biased either and happy to share my experiences of the various cars I have owned and give an honest appraisal of them.

In your case its probably that you have a sweet example of a scoob running a proper 280bhp (rather than the so often claimed 280bhp scoob that is acutally more like 230/240) and the RX7 running only somewhere close to stock which could either be 255bhp/or 280bhp depending on year.

Its all good fun! and no malice intended.
Old 15 November 2006, 05:18 PM
Matt_taylor
Scooby Regular

thats cool mate,

yeh mine is 278bhp... well thats on the dyno sheet from when i brought it 6 months ago and it was roaded a week before!

since then i decatted it... and gonna go get myself a downpipe and new manifold!

i couldnt live with a RX though.. im too big lol.. well his has fixed sparco seats so bit tricky to get in and out of lol
Old 15 November 2006, 05:38 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Yep......... But I would have to be first to admit I would say a the scoob has the edge on reliability. But the RX7 gets an unfair rap IMHO with regards to reliability. Even when they do go pop, they can be rebuilt for less than 3K and thats street ported as well. Take the engine out and send to a builder and you are talking just over 2K for a build. Get the bits and do it yourself, and it gets even cheaper.
Myt matre bought a rex a few weeks ago, he paid about 7k for it, just had a recent rebuild etc, so he is hoping it lasts a while.

You say you could rebuild the engine yourelf, is it hard ? Is it easy to learn how to rebuild it ?
Old 15 November 2006, 06:09 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonno_johnson
Myt matre bought a rex a few weeks ago, he paid about 7k for it, just had a recent rebuild etc, so he is hoping it lasts a while.

You say you could rebuild the engine yourelf, is it hard ? Is it easy to learn how to rebuild it ?
Believe it or not there is a DVD you can get that shows you how to do it - As with any mechanics its only nuts and bolts. That said even I probably won't do the build myself. And i have attempted most things. I have heard of a few DIY builds going horribly wrong, just because 1 bolt or hose etc was not done up.

If he ever needs a build, a good compromise would be to take the engine out and get a pro to build and then put back in yourself.

If he needs a build best go on the forums plenty of knowledge base. But not as much as on scoobynet. Most of the pro's try and make everything look harder than it is.

strip the peripherals away and its a very simple engine to work on. My rex has the aircon removed, air pump removed, half the pipes and electrics that control a sequential turbo set up, air box, stock intercooler replaced with front mount. so under the bonnet it looks vary bare and simple to work on.

mazdarotaryclub.co.uk
rx7ownersclub.com

A rebuilt RX7 would probably have stronger RX8 tips (depending who built it) and generally good for 60K+ miles if looked after. But you will always here of examples of a fresh build only holding 20K miles, but that could be found with any performance car. I have heard examples of stock RX7's in the States running 120K miles on original engine and turbo's and still going strong.

Despite the power I am only running 0.8bar boost (MAX) - 0.64 bar is standard. So bar some of the mental REx's they are not running huge boost pressures. They also like to run rich. Running towards the lean end does not really help much in terms of power. So you just don't bother and place safe and run on the richer side of things.
Old 15 November 2006, 06:22 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

i couldnt live with a RX though.. im too big lol.. well his has fixed sparco seats so bit tricky to get in and out of lol
lol - compared to the VX220 the RX7 feels like a rolls royce. When we were testing me brothers scoob v's the RX7 only this week end. I drove the scoob and it reminded me how much of good all round package they are.

The RX7 is a ***** out toy. That can just about pass as a daily driver.

Shame the family motor is a 7 seater and I can't convince the missus to have a scoob wagon as the family motor, that way I could have my cake and eat it
Old 15 November 2006, 06:25 PM
slickrick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrahamG
Trouble is with RX7 if a few pipes start to go on the sequential turbos, which i think has over 60 small pipes they lose power very quickly.
its called the rats nest,i had loads of bother with mine

diagram,

i changed mine over to non sequential it gets rid of all the pipes and solenoids.
Old 15 November 2006, 06:29 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slickrick
its called the rats nest,i had loads of bother with mine

diagram,

i changed mine over to non sequential it gets rid of all the pipes and solenoids.
Crazy ain't it - Makes the engine a much nice place to work on and diagnose problems once that lots out the way. I still can't comprehend what Mazda were thinking when they done this.

Non sequential rocks.!
Old 15 November 2006, 06:37 PM
slickrick
Scooby Regular

it does indeed,those pipes get hard and brittle and trying to find a cracked one is a nightmare.

non sequential is like running a large single,not big but large.
Old 15 November 2006, 07:04 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Running towards the lean end does not really help much in terms of power. So you just don't bother and place safe and run on the richer side of things.
Sorry mate, I've mapped quite a few FDs and leaning them out gains a lot of bhp, wouldn't do it on a paying punters car though as the extra fuel is a safety margin rotaries seem to need. Some are reliable, others blow up as soon as there is the vaguest hint of something being amiss.

When I got my RX it pulled a dozen car lengths on a tweaked classic from 40-140, then dyno'd at 180@wheels Standard for standard in full working order an FD will murder an Impreza. Like RobEvo5 I have owned both.
Was running around 440@wheels (1.4bar) when I did my last engine at round 3 of Time Attack this year, even with 5/6ths of the apex seals warped (so being 150bhp down) I ran a 12.4@115 at TOTB with 159mph over the standing mile. Should have been clocking 128-130mph terminals at Rotorstock but killed my diff at the top of 2nd gear on my first run, so limped over the line at 121mph.
Old 15 November 2006, 08:18 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblackwrx

I think you've quoted the wrong person my mates is a 500bhp+ rx-7 and was on the front cover of the first J Tuner mag (admittedley it was 430bhp at the wheels then but has had a few more mods and maps done)

Last edited by myblackwrx; 15 November 2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 16 November 2006, 07:26 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

pop pop pop pop pop pop pop
Old 16 November 2006, 08:54 AM
Matt_taylor
Scooby Regular

haha i got to drive it last night... power is alot smoother and later delivered..

had fun spinning the wheels... my mate just said " launch it at 4 grand and hold on!"

hit 120 on our private track nicely!

weird when i let of the boost it seemed to jolt?? is this normal? and its def missing when driving like 40mph in 4th ideaS??

Quick Reply: RX7 vs scoob