Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Fun four-seater?

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2006, 10:38 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Fun four-seater?

We have a practical family car. Every now and then I entertain the idea of buying the fun two-seater that I always wanted (but bought a house instead ). Wife also likes the idea of such a car - MX5, Boxster, Elise, etc.

However, now we have a little'un and there could be another just over the horizon, we realise that a two-seater would frankly never get used. I commute by train, and she will always go out with Mini-Me.

So I wondered if there was such a thing as a fun four-seater.

Firstly, my idea of fun is NOT something with as much bhp as possible, or the ability to travel at Warp 6. Forget M5s, RS4/6, Skyline. It's the feeling of feedback, instant response, being in touch with the car rather than insulated from it. Having a grin on your face whilst still being (more or less) within the speed limit. My scoob was, frankly, boring.

Secondly, I have a particular dislike of 911s

Any suggestions? Could be five grand or fifty. I wondered about a Cooper S Works.

Just curious to see what other people think
Old 14 November 2006, 10:57 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if a Supra would be on the dislikes? bit old now but still lovely to look at. I enjoyed driving mine. Nice smooth ride.
Old 14 November 2006, 11:06 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

If scoobs are boring and its the feel above everything else?
BMW M3 CSL.?
TVR Cerbera.?
Nissan 350z.?
Dont know if it needs to be practical/reliable.

If these are all boring too, maybe a Hyabusa with twin sidecar option?
Old 14 November 2006, 11:07 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

RX8 ?

D
Old 14 November 2006, 11:09 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes

Any suggestions? Could be five grand or fifty. I wondered about a Cooper S Works.
Wonder no more, they're ****e

Unless you're into outrageous torque steer and frankly annoying supercharger whine
Old 14 November 2006, 11:18 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
TVR Cerbera.?
Phwoooar, good call!

Then I check a review:

""I have amassed 2000 miles on dealer visits alone". "Thank God for the warranty is all I can say"."It has let me down on every trip over 100 miles". "Interior finish is frightening". Theres no gentle way to break the news to you. The TVR Cerbera is a spectacularly unreliable car. These quotes from owners are indicative of the many things that can and do go wrong with Cerberas.

When asked what they would like to see improved on the car, owners wanted better ventilation, rear suspension that was less jittery, a handbrake that worked, brighter air conditioning LEDs, less wind noise, a better stereo, intermittent windscreen wipers, fewer electrical problems with doors and security, a clutch footrest, non vibrating rear view mirrors, better rear ground clearance and less brake squeal. The key grouse was about the one-year warranty and many owners found the dealers unhelpful. The most pertinent quote came from one frustrated owner who when asked what he most wanted in his Cerbera replied, "A spare car in the boot." Common faults include misaligned gearchange linkages, warped rear suspension wishbones, snapped steering-wheel control ribbon cables, deteriorating rear anti-roll bar mounts, leaking radiator cores, seizing door hinges, ineffective crankshaft seals, and shearing clutch release arms. Itll also be worth checking the alternator, water pump and remote boot opening system. The security system comes in for constant flak, with the plipper having a very poor range with anything other than tip-top batteries and there have been several stories of owners being locked into their immobilised Cerbera."

I might be gullible enough if I lived in the UK, but the thought of all of that without dealer/factory support is a bit scary
Old 14 November 2006, 11:18 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

My wife and I have been driving a Honda DC5 Integra for the past 3 years. It's fun to drive. It's practical. It's fairly economical - low to mid 30s mpg. It's a Honda, so it has not missed a beat.

However it is a Jap import, so RHD. Honda will service them without any aggro.

Old 14 November 2006, 11:33 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Phwoooar, good call!

Then I check a review:

""I have amassed 2000 miles on dealer visits alone". "Thank God for the warranty is all I can say"."It has let me down on every trip over 100 miles". "Interior finish is frightening". Theres no gentle way to break the news to you. The TVR Cerbera is a spectacularly unreliable car. These quotes from owners are indicative of the many things that can and do go wrong with Cerberas.

I might be gullible enough if I lived in the UK, but the thought of all of that without dealer/factory support is a bit scary
Dont really want to burst your bubble but if you checked some of these reports from Cerbera owners you may have seen some of mine (sold it with less than 7K miles because I could not live with the cabin, heat soak and p1ss poor aircon the main reasons, thats why I posted the reliability/practicality bit?
Also the request was for something involving to drive as a second car, thats why I bought the Cerbera and why some people still own them (even if I could not).
It was the most involving car I have ever owned (almost) and was reasonably reliable during my ownership (I know there is a vast difference from one to another,mine was a 4.2 not a 4.5).
Your post said "curious what others think" so I replied
Old 14 November 2006, 11:39 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Hey no probs, a brilliant suggestion and one that I might continue to dream about
Old 14 November 2006, 11:44 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Maserati 3200, £20k to buy, £30k left for repairs. (Although I'd still have one.) or dealer warrantied 4200.

D
Old 14 November 2006, 03:10 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

RX7 with kids seats in back - Best bang for your buck money can buy. Had a turbo MX5, and although a girls car was the most fun I have had on wheels and thats compared to a VX220 Turbo which was just to harsh. The RX7 is just as involving as the MX5, but with lots more power.

However if this is your family car rather than just a toy with occasional use for the complete family then ignore me.
Old 14 November 2006, 03:14 PM
jimimac
Scooby Regular

hmm nissan 300ZX T bar 2+2
Old 14 November 2006, 03:41 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

That Monaro on 5th Gear looked rather amusing...
Old 14 November 2006, 04:00 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

If you dont want performance then a Beetle (proper old one) is the most fun car(s) I have ever owned...........buy a fire extinguisher though
Old 14 November 2006, 04:06 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Ta Rich. My idea of fun was more the traffic light grands prix, the wind in my hair, the exhaust warble in my ears, through the fabled twisties, rather than running round it shouting "Oh ****, ****, ****!"

BTW, of the suggestions so far, head says Integra, heart says RX7 - but soul is being sold to TVR Wheelshop, if my life is ruined in the next 3 years, I'll hold you personally responsible

Last edited by Brendan Hughes; 14 November 2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 14 November 2006, 04:36 PM
Onan The Barbarian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
That Monaro on 5th Gear looked rather amusing...
That's probably what I'd buy

In black
Old 14 November 2006, 05:16 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

hot hatch, practible and fun