Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VW Golf Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2006, 09:12 AM
trigger64
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW Golf Anniversary

Sold my Scooby a few months back looking at a VW Golf Anniversary 1.8 T in Red, anyones views or faults with this car would be appreciated

Whats the verdict on the colour this colour seems to be rare is it because poeple stick hold of them or because its a bad colour what ya think

Volkswagen : 2002 Tornado Red 25th Anniversary GTI 1.8T
Old 14 October 2006, 09:52 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

love these cars, it looks awsome in red. as for faults....ITS A GOLF.. there are none
Old 14 October 2006, 09:52 AM
jespin
Scooby Regular

Just sold a silver Anniversary diesel which I had run for the past 9 months. Lovely looking car are very rare, hold their money brilliantly - I got back what I paid for mine after 9 months and 15000 miles.

The red ones are no rarer than the silver or black - 300 of each were made in both petrol and diesel. Just don't expect them to handle too well, I've had many cars including some really mundane ones (Rover 420, Peugeot 406, Ford Mundano - all diesel) and the golf had the worst chassis of any car I've driven. They grip ok but are an understeer wagon. In all fairness though, they are fine for most of the time, just lets you down when pressing on.

A quick remap will bring around 210bhp for around £400 though so fairly easy to make them R32 pace.
Old 14 October 2006, 09:56 AM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trigger64
Sold my Scooby a few months back looking at a VW Golf Anniversary 1.8 T in Red, anyones views or faults with this car would be appreciated

Whats the verdict on the colour this colour seems to be rare is it because poeple stick hold of them or because its a bad colour what ya think

Volkswagen : 2002 Tornado Red 25th Anniversary GTI 1.8T
I personally dont think they are worth the premium over a non-anniversary model, however they do look nice with the bodykit and wheels (although the wheels do suffer badly from corrosion).

Youd get a similar non-anniversary car for 3-4k less.. Or for around 10k a high spec 180bhp 1.8T with Sat-Nav, Recaros etc etc.

They do seem to hold their money though.
Old 14 October 2006, 04:32 PM
staffs Mike
Scooby Regular

Looks ok in Red...but so does a Leon Cupra R
Old 15 October 2006, 08:10 PM
Gompo
Scooby Regular

Considering they're a special edition I was pretty disappointed with the interior - would have expected either leather or something a little more sporty looking than the Recaros.

I dont think they're worth the premium price you'll be paying compared with other hatches. For all it's faults I'd prefer a Focus RS..
Old 15 October 2006, 08:14 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gompo
For all it's faults I'd prefer a Focus RS..
They are very different animals though??? Depends what your after....

Chris
Old 16 October 2006, 04:26 PM
trigger64
Scooby Newbie

Been to view the car one major downside its had 4 previous owners, the current guy is owner number 5 which would obviously make me number 6?
With only 20k on the clock this is very high

All the mileage is warranted with services, MOT's etc took a mechanic friend of mine to view the car as far as we were both concerned and by looking at the mileage there is absoloutely no doubt this mileage is correct.

My question is how much would it put you off buying the car?

There literally is not a mark on it?
Old 17 October 2006, 11:55 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Get an Octavia vRS - mechanically identical, and a lot cheaper
Old 22 October 2006, 10:24 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

One of my best mates has a Black version.

It's a great car. Very stiff and great handling.

His has now done 75k from when he got it new. And only problem he had is when the window rail broke.

Steve
Old 23 October 2006, 07:40 AM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
O

Very stiff and great handling.

Pure comedy
Old 23 October 2006, 08:04 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

MkIV's have terrible handling and ride. They are too softly sprung and extremly overdamped to make them feel stiff, they also have underspecced anti-roll bars.

The upshot is, they crash over every road imperfection but don't go around corners very well (although they do have pretty good grip). To me, it feels like driving a car with concrete wheels.
Old 23 October 2006, 08:13 AM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
MkIV's have terrible handling and ride. They are too softly sprung and extremly overdamped to make them feel stiff, they also have underspecced anti-roll bars.

The upshot is, they crash over every road imperfection but don't go around corners very well (although they do have pretty good grip). To me, it feels like driving a car with concrete wheels.
Even cars with aftermarket springs and dampers and uprated anti-roll bars still suffer from the basic problems with the chassis. It just isn't stiff enough and will flex noticeably even in fairly mild situations.
Some owners who have little idea about cars then make these problems even worse by fitting 18 or even 19 inch wheels with extremely low profile tyres (40 or even 35 profile). These muppets tend to fit things like crap RS4 replica wheels, making the handling problems even worse. It's not rocket science, with such a poor chassis increasing unsprung weight at all 4 corners and removing a vital suspension component ie the sidewall of the tyre, you remove what little compliance the car had to offer and end up with something that will corner much slower at the limit.
There isn't even an advantage grip wise as these 18 and 19 inch wheels tend to have the same 225 width of the 17's. The optimal wheel/tyre combo for any MKIV based car is 225/45/17 in my experience.
Old 23 October 2006, 08:33 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I can actually hear mine creaking and cracking at the limit, lol. Had the suspension checked numerous times but keep getting told it's normal
Old 23 October 2006, 09:27 AM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

The annies are very very very nice. I had a RED 1.820V AUM.

Only fault i ever found was the coil packs and the MAF. both not too Expensive, if you need to know any thing at all Add em to MSN. here is a few pictures of mine any one who says red is a crap colour tell them to SOD off LOL

Oh the clutch is a swine to do your self too LOL

Old 23 October 2006, 12:04 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Now then Andy... I recognise that car, in fact I ended up with its seats!!

Hows it going?

Chris (Formerly a Black PD150)