Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf R32 or Clio V6?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2006, 09:49 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf R32 or Clio V6?

I'm looking at both of these as possible replacements for the scoob because I fancy something a bit different.

I can pick each up for about £15-16k on a 53 plate.

The R32 never really stood out that much until I had a sit in one, and the build quality was outstanding (although coming from a classic scoob, most things are going to impress), but I didn't drive it, so as yet, i'm not sure what its like.

As you can imagine though, getting hold of a Clio V6 to have a look at is easier said than done.

The Clio appeals more than the Golf for the 'rarity' value, but I can't see that build quality will be anything more than the usual Renault standard (low ).

My annual mileage isn't high (7k) so I'm wanting something fun, without the fear of something blowing up at the first sign of any hard driving and the car will be used everyday. I don't expect the same performance as the Scoob (320 bhp), but i'd like a bit better economy in return.

Any opinions/experiences of each before I start looking or am I better to stick with the Scoob (which I'm still not convinced that I want to get rid of TBH)?.

Cheers
Old 05 October 2006, 10:03 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

For driving something different, then it would have to be the Clio V6. You don't see many around, and the Mk II's look very nice (best in Black IMO).
However, the Clio's aren't the best handling car in the world, especially in the wet. The Mk1 would swap ends very easily. The MkII were a lot better, but I don't think they'll be a patch on a Scoob for handling.
The R32? Would be the most Scooby-ish car out of the R32 & Clio V6. Build quality will be better than Subaru/Renault, you get AWD, so can be used enthusiastically both on wet & dry roads.
Evo reckoned the R32 was a better handling car than the WRX.

Out of the 2 you mention, I'd go for the R32. I see the appeal for the Clio though, but I couldn't live with Renault build quality, Renault Dealerships, and suspect handling. They do look a very nice car though.
Old 05 October 2006, 10:08 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

What about a nice remapped S3???

Just a thought
Old 05 October 2006, 10:16 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

R32 is a heavy car tho

I'd opt for a V6 clio for their rarity
Old 05 October 2006, 10:22 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
What about a nice remapped S3???

Just a thought
It's crossed my mind, but part of the reason for getting rid of the scoob is to get a car that's got decent performance and handling out of the factory, and keep it as is. I don't intend to modify whatever I get next.
Old 05 October 2006, 10:24 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

I'll suggest the R32 first choice and the Clio V6 second. As said already the Clio can get upset in the wet far more quickly than the R32. Also build quality in the Golf will be far superior, and the Clio will be typically very average Renault quality.

A good friend has an R32 which i've been in several times, a lovely, hi quality solid car with good manners, and I personally owned a Cliosport 182, hence my comments on the build quality.
Old 05 October 2006, 10:34 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm looking at a Clio V6 myself. I've had Renault (Alpine actually) "specials" before, GTA V6 Turbo and then the A610.

It would have to be the Mk2 V6 for me though, as already mentioned, handling on the Mk 1 was widely recognised as flawed. As for out handling a classic scoob, I bet it would.

Mike.
Old 05 October 2006, 11:20 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Unless you had a particularly thirsty scoob an R32 is not going to be much more economic as you said you hoped for in your post, never owned a V6 clio so dont know on that one
Old 05 October 2006, 11:26 AM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

A good case of - do you buy with your head (R32) or your heart (Clio).

Personally the Clio - rarity and more fun on the road - as long as you can love it when it lets you down
Old 05 October 2006, 11:33 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Dont know if it helps but a friends has an 02 plate Clio and I think he regrets the purchase. He wanted a P1 but got talked into the Clio by someone who has one.

We are waiting for a dry weekend and we are swapping cars for a couple of days so he can see what a scoob is like.

I'd go R32 just for those luverly seats
Old 05 October 2006, 11:51 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
Unless you had a particularly thirsty scoob an R32 is not going to be much more economic as you said you hoped for in your post, never owned a V6 clio so dont know on that one
The economy thing isn't my main concern, it'd just be nice to get a big more to the gallon and not having a 17 mile round-trip just to fill the tank .

The problem is, I blow hot and cold with wanting to change the car.
After a bit of blast in the scoob, I love it and think I must be stupid for wanting to sell it , but other times, when I'm sat in traffic or first thing in the morning on the way to work when the clutch judder is shaking the car apart, I hate it and would love to be sat in something more solid with a nicer cabin .

I just don't want to sell it and regret it later .

The R32 seems to cover all the bases for what i'm after, I just don't know if it lacks that 'something' that makes the scoob special when I'm in happy mode with it.
Old 05 October 2006, 12:06 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_matt
I just don't know if it lacks that 'something' that makes the scoob special when I'm in happy mode with it.
A turbo?
Seriously tho. keep the scoob and buy a small cheap diesel as well, keeps the miles off the scoob and costs little to run.Might not be possible but works well for some on here.
Old 05 October 2006, 12:12 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

A turbo?
Seriously tho. keep the scoob and buy a small cheap diesel as well, keeps the miles off the scoob and costs little to run.Might not be possible but works well for some on here.
It's a good idea but the running costs are quite low really, due to the low mileage I do.

It's probabaly a case of money burning a hole in my pocket more than anything else
Old 05 October 2006, 12:16 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

It's a good idea but the running costs are quite low really, due to the low mileage I do.

It's probabaly a case of money burning a hole in my pocket more than anything else
i've done the same - i use my Scoob on nice evenings and at weekends.
i bought a little pug 205 for 50 quid (off s.net actually) and its great. ok its really slow but it saves me a fortune in fuel and the best bit is when some a***hole opens a door into it in a supermarket i couldn't care less.
Old 05 October 2006, 12:22 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Well Sir, if thats the case walk this way, build quality, performace, image, and a little different.http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/93410.htm:)
Old 05 October 2006, 12:39 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Well Sir, if thats the case walk this way, build quality, performace, image, and a little different.http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/93410.htm:)
That's a lot of car for the money.

I'm a bit young for a beemer though, maybe in a few years
Old 05 October 2006, 12:42 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest and having never driven a newage scoob, how do they compare with a classic in terms of build quality and 'refinement' if you like?
Old 05 October 2006, 12:43 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

was worth a try
Old 05 October 2006, 12:45 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

was worth a try
Is it yours?
Old 05 October 2006, 12:49 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

I would go with Zee Germanz over the french any day,. but then I run a Volkswagen club so I may be a bit biased. R32 for me, plus you want your mates to nic name you 'Nicole' ?
Old 05 October 2006, 12:50 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

sorry did'nt see your second post, we sell lots of this type of thing and in my humble opinion a good classic represents fantastic value these days, newage cars ARE better but not by too much, more depreciation and confusing specs out there but if insurance is not a prob, the jdm bug/blobs are great in STi version in particular. It just depends on what you want, full rallyslag STi ra stripped and caged for hooligan mode or something more "Q" an sl maybe.
The most fun I have ever had is in modded waggons/classic etc. Might be something to do with not wanting to "bin" a £25k car tho.
Old 05 October 2006, 12:51 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bateman
I would go with Zee Germanz over the french any day,. but then I run a Volkswagen club so I may be a bit biased. R32 for me, plus you want your mates to nic name you 'Nicole' ?
What's the general consensus on the R32 within the VW circles?
Old 05 October 2006, 12:53 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Is it yours?
Yes, sorry beat me to the post again.
Old 05 October 2006, 01:00 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

sorry did'nt see your second post, we sell lots of this type of thing and in my humble opinion a good classic represents fantastic value these days, newage cars ARE better but not by too much, more depreciation and confusing specs out there but if insurance is not a prob, the jdm bug/blobs are great in STi version in particular. It just depends on what you want, full rallyslag STi ra stripped and caged for hooligan mode or something more "Q" an sl maybe.
The most fun I have ever had is in modded waggons/classic etc. Might be something to do with not wanting to "bin" a £25k car tho.
Mine's a lowly UK turbo, and I've wondered whether I should have gone for an STi. With all the horror stories you hear on here, it makes you wary about putting your foot down, and the STi's seem to be able to take more abuse.

Most blobeyes are higher mileage than mine though (39k), so it seems stupid to change, but a JDM STi could be interesting
Old 05 October 2006, 01:15 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

What's the general consensus on the R32 within the VW circles?

We all like it , i get a lot of stick for having a 'Ricer' as we term japanese cars.

I have owned Mk1, and Mk2 golfs, always loved them. Always wanted the R32 but in a moment of madness I purchased a scooby. Edition38 is always good for the Later VW's (waterpumpers). Go and have a snoop around these guys know what they are talking about and as for mods it will blow you away.

Renault are like fords, they have a massive range of cars and only produce 1 or 2 decent models. Volks, BMW, Audi, they know what they are doing and the entire range is something worth looking at.

German engineering, you cant go far wrong. The French, when they can be bothered they might finish something.

hope this helps mate
Old 05 October 2006, 01:27 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bateman
We all like it , i get a lot of stick for having a 'Ricer' as we term japanese cars.

I have owned Mk1, and Mk2 golfs, always loved them. Always wanted the R32 but in a moment of madness I purchased a scooby. Edition38 is always good for the Later VW's (waterpumpers). Go and have a snoop around these guys know what they are talking about and as for mods it will blow you away.

Renault are like fords, they have a massive range of cars and only produce 1 or 2 decent models. Volks, BMW, Audi, they know what they are doing and the entire range is something worth looking at.

German engineering, you cant go far wrong. The French, when they can be bothered they might finish something.

hope this helps mate
Cheers mate, I've have a look
Old 05 October 2006, 04:41 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

I've never driven the Clio so cannot comment,

However, I have driven my mates R32. Got to say I was very impressed by it, i.e build quality, turn of speed and noise. I thought about chopping in the Scoob for one, but I prefer the 'brutality' of the Scoob more

HTH
Old 05 October 2006, 04:58 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adidas
I thought about chopping in the Scoob for one, but I prefer the 'brutality' of the Scoob more
That's my fear too
Old 05 October 2006, 05:10 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine had both a Mk1 and Mk2 Clio V6's and haven driven both i'd buy the R32.
The Mk2 is a big improvement on the Mk1 both in looks and handling, but you still really need to know how to drive well to get the best out of them as they can bite. The build quality is also poor, so if you do decide to get one make sure it has warrenty as my mate has several small problems along with some major ones like drive shafts popping out, he went though at least 2 gearboxs. But on the up side they sound great and attract a massive amount of atention.
Never driven an R32 but it's a golf so can't be bad.
Old 05 October 2006, 07:16 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

The Clio is a blast, looks amazing and sounds unbelievably good. If I had a garage and didn't have to park my car outside on the road, I would have one no question.

Quick Reply: Golf R32 or Clio V6?