Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda civic VTi

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2006, 08:16 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda civic VTi

I have just been to look at one of these and had an issue with it.

The steering pulled to the left and did not feel very direct (in fact it felt a bit woolly). The guy agreed and said he was going to take it down to the garage to get the tracking done tomorrow (never felt it before as the wife drove it usually - hmmmm. Anyone have any thoughts on this - Are they prone to any issues with the steering.

Also he kept telling me it went balistic at 5,000rpm but it felt pretty dissapointing although smooth all the way to 8,000RPM. Not sure if this is comparing it with the scoob (standard UK turbo) but the stats seem to suggest they are fast and although it was 4 up it didnt feel very quick.

Also the odometer read 62,000 miles dead on the clock which I was very suspicious about. The guy didnt seem dodgy in the slightest but you never know!!!
Old 25 September 2006, 08:52 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

There should be a definate kick around 5500 rpm.

Don't see any reason to suspect dodginess over the mileage, any service history to back it up?

I had a 5door VTi, steering and feel wasn't fantastic but should feel ok.
Old 25 September 2006, 09:31 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

I didnt have a thorough look through the history due to the steering feel. Will definitely do that if he gets it fixed.

What did you think of yours? and did you have any trouble selling it on? Is there anything in particular I should be checking?

Cheers

Stuart
Old 25 September 2006, 09:39 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

but the stats seem to suggest they are fast and although it was 4 up it didnt feel very quick
No normally aspirated hot-hatch is going to be quick 4 up!!! That's an addition of about 300kg and more if you have fatties in the car.

Take the lets torque stats for the current civic Type-R:

* 197bhp
* 1204kg
* 166bhp per ton
* 0-60mph in 6.57s
* 0-100mph in 16.85s

Now add 300kg to the weight:

* 197bhp
* 1504kg
* 133bhp per ton
* 0-60mph in 7.92s
* 0-100mph in 21.44s

Massive difference
Old 25 September 2006, 09:51 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I agree, even a full tank of petrol has a large effect of a Civic VTi's performance figures..

How old is it?? Was it recently serviced and what oil level was it at??

What mods does it have.. as a I've seen that something like a Unichip will even out the performance and remove the changeover kick.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 25 September 2006, 10:02 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

It is on a v plate 99 and needs a service in about 1000 miles. There are no mods either. The oil was full and it doesnt appear like it has been topped up or it would have been clearer than it was.

How much do they cost to service - Also do they have chains or timing belts?

Cheers

Stuart
Old 25 September 2006, 10:13 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

They are belts & service costs are pretty low IMO.. even at a stealership. Obviously prices will vary depending where you get your parts and whether or not you are upgrading parts at same time.

My old Green '99 3dr EK VTi was possibly the best car I've ever owned. Reliable, fast, great noise, good on fuel, good looks.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 26 September 2006, 12:18 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Cheers for your comments Grant - Will see what the outcome is after the tracking has been done.
Old 26 September 2006, 05:12 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

check it has been serviced every 6 months and check to make sure there hasnt been any oil leak on the outer heads
Old 26 September 2006, 07:50 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

I rang up Honda today and they said the service schedule was 9000miles or 1 year.

I think he knew there was something not right with the steering or I am sure he would have range me back by now.

Back to square one!!!! What car next!!!!
Old 27 September 2006, 11:54 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooBStu
I have just been to look at one of these and had an issue with it.

The steering pulled to the left and did not feel very direct (in fact it felt a bit woolly). The guy agreed and said he was going to take it down to the garage to get the tracking done tomorrow (never felt it before as the wife drove it usually - hmmmm. Anyone have any thoughts on this - Are they prone to any issues with the steering.

Also he kept telling me it went balistic at 5,000rpm but it felt pretty dissapointing although smooth all the way to 8,000RPM. Not sure if this is comparing it with the scoob (standard UK turbo) but the stats seem to suggest they are fast and although it was 4 up it didnt feel very quick.

Also the odometer read 62,000 miles dead on the clock which I was very suspicious about. The guy didnt seem dodgy in the slightest but you never know!!!
Hi Stu, which VTI the 1.6 or the 1.8?

TBH the 1.6 felt quicker off of the mark, i have owned both models. The 1.8 felt slower up to around 100 but had a lot morre torque.

You should feel a kick at 4.7-5k if not the solenoid may be sticking. The engines are good for 200k without any work but must have regular quality oil changes.

If it pulls to the left then it has a problem the steering is usually quite precise. TBH I would walk away, there are plenty about.
Old 27 September 2006, 12:44 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Hi Stu, which VTI the 1.6 or the 1.8?

TBH the 1.6 felt quicker off of the mark, i have owned both models. The 1.8 felt slower up to around 100 but had a lot morre torque.

You should feel a kick at 4.7-5k if not the solenoid may be sticking. The engines are good for 200k without any work but must have regular quality oil changes.

If it pulls to the left then it has a problem the steering is usually quite precise. TBH I would walk away, there are plenty about.
Well since he didnt ring back he must have found out there is something else wrong with it. Will keep an eye out - I am off to the auctions tonight so maybe something else will catch my eye.