New Honda Civic Type-R . . .

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2006, 02:02 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Honda Civic Type-R . . .

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=15045

Finally some real pics, not just the concepts. No word on pricing as yet, but I'd expect it to be pretty much the same as the old model . . . in which case, I'll be putting my order in.
Old 14 September 2006, 02:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Once again Japan fails to sell the car the British people want.

All that will happen now, is the stripped out version will be imported, which will hit standard uk residuals.

I dare bet if Subaru had decided to sell the S204 over here, they would have sold every single one. Even I would have probably swapped in my 05 STI PPP for one.

Plus, the Civic need more power. Dare bet people will buy the Astra VXR, Focus ST, Golf GTI (Easily chipped) etc, than a heavier same powered Civic.

Wheels look sh1te on it too.
Old 14 September 2006, 02:18 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

like the interior, outside looks same as go standard ones though
Old 14 September 2006, 03:10 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Shame.

Looked so promising.

Someone needs to do something different to the current drop of hot hatches, which are excellent all rounders but too heavy for track days. I suppose that would only be a small market share though...

Steve
Old 14 September 2006, 03:59 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

I like the look of it but Honda really should have given it a few more horses.

Just mho. Geoff.
Old 14 September 2006, 04:17 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Another cop out by Honda. Cheap ****e rear suspension, lots of talk of concentrating on weight saving and yet it weighs more than the previous version.

Will need to be VERY keenly priced to be worth it over the Focus/Golf/Astra
Old 14 September 2006, 04:21 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

never undersstood why they couldnt have put the same motor as the DC5 in it.....surely its not any different in size? yet gives an extra 20bhp.....bit silly IMO.
Old 14 September 2006, 04:46 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Interesting to know if they have altered the steering and suspension set up in anyway as the original suffered from unresponsive turn in and a soft front suspension resulting a fairly unpredictable rear end under heavy braking. All of which I only noticed after driving a friends Clio 182 which wipped the floor handling wise. But even so still a class engine, gearbox and brakes just a shame they don't spend the extra money to make it the best hot hatch, as I'm certain it can be!.

Last edited by bluerigster; 14 September 2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 14 September 2006, 05:25 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

They bottled the outside (especially the alloys) and....<shakes head>......sat nav on a Type-R. WTF?
Old 14 September 2006, 05:32 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

http://www.redh.co.uk
Old 14 September 2006, 06:00 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree the Alloys suck as does the styling. It all looked so promosing on the prototype, they went all out with the standard civic compared to the old model yet they bottle it when it comes to the Type R!
Old 15 September 2006, 12:47 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

If you look at the specs, the GT version has all the kit, so the standard version will probably be lighter than the rest of the civic range.

You can guarantee that it will have the best drivetrain in its class, and if the stats are to be believed its not a million miles away from the competition performance wise and will be more reliable and better built than any of them.

Also looks to have the nicest, most eventful, interior in its class by some margin and until driven we won't know what the handling is like.

I'd also suspect that it will be cheaper than the competition as well.
Old 15 September 2006, 01:24 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MooseRacer
Another cop out by Honda. Cheap ****e rear suspension, lots of talk of concentrating on weight saving and yet it weighs more than the previous version.

Will need to be VERY keenly priced to be worth it over the Focus/Golf/Astra
The gear ratios have been altered to compensate for the slight increase in kerb weight plus the VTEC now kicks in lower at 5200rpm rather than 5800rpm. I think it will hold its own.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:15 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

Call me biased, but i dont see the point in Honda releasing a new ctr that looks so bad and will be very similar in performance if not the same as the last one, when the competition has moved on. I am sure type r fans will by it but beyond that i am not sure. I was looking forward to a really fast ctr with a view to maybe buying one, but defo not now. The seat leon looks promising though.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:37 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
never undersstood why they couldnt have put the same motor as the DC5 in it.....surely its not any different in size? yet gives an extra 20bhp.....bit silly IMO.

they could have, but with the new emmission laws and the cat required for start up regs in the EU would have taken the engine below the 197ps mark.

its somewhere on ctr site if you care to look, detailed info on the regs

john
Old 15 September 2006, 07:56 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I remember when people were slagging off the Integra DC2, now 8 years later its considered a classic. Type-R's are an emotive subject, it has its fair share of fans but also people who think VTEC is ****........"but u have to rev the nutz off it! rah rah yadaaa yadaa! no torque etc etc....."

I think the new one looks ok, hope its drives well

Shame the design boys couldn't have realised that the spoiler isn't transparent

Interested to see how the market shapes up in the next couple of years...
Old 15 September 2006, 10:16 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Best and most interesting interior in its class, world class engine and gear box, bullet proof build and reliability and probably fantastic residuals. Wheels are a little boring and it might be a bit manic on the motorway although I never had any trouble crossing continents in my old one. Let's get this in perspective, no other hot hatch will offer this combination of quality and performance. VXRBOY, the Leon looks like a people carrier, get your eyes checked. Focus and Leon are boring, Clio is made out of recycled tin cans, Mini, Golf, 1-Series ridiculously over-priced, VXR is good but still a Vauxhall Astra...If Honda have got the chassis right then you'll be able to scream around in this Type-R having fun at sane-ish speeds knowing you'll never break down. Try having fun at legal speeds in a Scoob - bloody difficult.
Old 16 September 2006, 10:22 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I had the 2001 Type-R and have since had a 2003 WRX PPP and a 2002 Golf GTi. The Type-R is the only one that I would go back to.

The Honda is the better built/more reliable of the hot hatches by a country mile, you can't even compare with the likes of the Vauxhall or Ford . The stories I hear of a friend with the Focus ST make me laugh, bits are forever falling off, dealers are just a joke The competition hasn't moved on at all, they've just added more power but no means to properly cope with it. Power is nothing without control

Give me the Honda any day, anyone that has had one will agree. I quite like the fact that there are many that slate it for its looks (clearly real petrolheads), personally I'll enjoy the great customer service, power delivery, superb handling & reliability thank you.
Old 16 September 2006, 10:39 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Sure it'll be well built, will never break down etc etc, BUT where's Honda's cutting edge technology gone? Even the French have decided torsion beam rear suspension doesn't cut it these days.....
Old 16 September 2006, 11:56 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

The basic Civic handles really well with the new set up. Who cares how the rear suspension is constructed so long as it works? And the VTEC engine has more technlogy in it than all the competitors put together. This car is also probably more relevant to the real world than all the competition. Value, great interior, practicality, reliabilty and lots of other words that end in "ilty".

Having sold my 2006 STI I am running around in a T-reg Fiat Sciecento Sporting while I wait for delivery of my Civic. It is miles more fun than the Scoob. I can ring its neck without breaking the speed limit and it really feels like you are flying even though you never are. One day a lot of people driving Subaru money pits will wake up and realise that the main reason they drive them is because they can say they have a 2/3/4 hundred horse power rocketship. The actual ownership experience is far less exciting - the odd undramatic blast up a slip road before you join a queue of traffic in the outside lane.

I didn't mean this to be a Scooby bashing post but people are really missing the point of the new Type R. It is going to be great to own and drive.
Old 16 September 2006, 12:22 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Honda havent made a bad "Type R" yet, and I very much doubt this car will be any different... The only mistake Honda ever made with the R's was not officially importing the DC5's...

Chris
Old 16 September 2006, 01:04 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christ
Honda havent made a bad "Type R" yet, and I very much doubt this car will be any different... The only mistake Honda ever made with the R's was not officially importing the DC5's...

Chris
Agree totally - there's no way on God's earth I'd buy a new Civic Type-R while there's still the Integra DC5 around

Old 16 September 2006, 01:18 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

The DC5 is a great looking car and does have a better chassis (mainly thanks to the slippy diff) than the outgoing Civic. However, in defence of the Civic, the DC5 was considerably more expensive - well over £20k new if I recall - so the Civic really was great value. Having said that, had the DC5 been sold in the UK I would have been right at the front of the queue. It was never going to happen though as it would have taken sales away from the UK-built Civic.
Old 18 September 2006, 08:49 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

I wish people would get their head of of type R *****. That civic is fugly the old one handled well but is not as fast as the new hot hatches. i use to have a dc2 and the interior was shocking, even worse than the scoob. I looked at the new itr and same problem, ****e interior so why people keep saying the interior on the new civic is sooo good is beyond me. And i am sure that someone said that the price of a new civic with air con and bits is 23K Oh yeh thats real world affordability for a civic, dont kame me laugh. As for reliability of other cars, the second scoob i had was the worst car i have ever had, stealership also a joke.
Old 18 September 2006, 10:00 AM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

My CTR was great for tearing around the "B" roads (Twisties (C)). Bullet proof, the feeling of foot to the floor, screaming VTEC round corners at 90+, knowing you just had to keep your foot down or be fooked was exhilarating. Other than tyre wear (ahem) and occ judderring on silly launches. Awesome. So reliable and cheap to run. The only dwnside was the harsh ride (the wife ALWAYs felt sick , no matter how nicely I drove! New one looks great but is it different enough to the last. A great everyday car and dog carrier par excellence. Will I buy the new one, possibly.
Old 18 September 2006, 04:43 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

I am going to defend this Civic until someone with a brain road tests it. VXRBOY, there is no way that Honda is going to raise the price from the £16895 I paid for my one with aircon to £23000. They know one of the big reasons the orginal was such a success was it's value for money. And even if it did come out at £23000 it would still undercut a fully loaded Golf, Mini, A3 and 1-Series by a country mile.

And by the way, it was a seriously quick car once it got rolling. According to Autocar's figures the Civic takes 16.2 secs to get to 100mph. Compare that to the Astra VXR (16.5secs), Focus ST (16.8secs), Golf GTI (18secs), Clio 197 (18.7secs), BMW 330ci (16.7 secs). Given the new car is likely to be slightly quicker I would say it will be more than competitive.

Whether you like the looks or not is a personal thing, but no one has come on here and put up a cohesive argument against the new Civic. Even if you dislike the styling, Honda should at least be commended for coming up with something different rather emulate the dull efforts of most of the other manufacturers. Come on people, put up an argument that proves me wrong.
Old 18 September 2006, 05:06 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by VXRBOY
I wish people would get their head of of type R *****. That civic is fugly the old one handled well but is not as fast as the new hot hatches. i use to have a dc2 and the interior was shocking, even worse than the scoob. I looked at the new itr and same problem, ****e interior so why people keep saying the interior on the new civic is sooo good is beyond me. And i am sure that someone said that the price of a new civic with air con and bits is 23K Oh yeh thats real world affordability for a civic, dont kame me laugh. As for reliability of other cars, the second scoob i had was the worst car i have ever had, stealership also a joke.

Maybe you had a bad one. The interior of my DC2 was much better than the cardboard cutout interior of my MY99 Impreza. I ragged it senseless for thousands of miles and nothing failed, rattled, creaked or fell off.

Annual service was £128. At a Honda main dealer.

Can't say that about new Golfs, Focus' or, I suspect, Astras (although they may actually be the best of the bunch)

VW, Ford and Vauxhall dealers are, in the main, ****e. Honda dealers are, in the main, a class above the rest by some margin.

There is no way it will be £23k. More likely it will be competative with the Focus and the Golf on price.
Old 18 September 2006, 05:43 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

£23k my @rse Who was that from ? A Vauxhall dealer ?

More likely £18k plus up to £1k for Air Con.
Old 18 September 2006, 06:03 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default can't wait to see what its like

the only concern I have is that with all this talk from honda that it is "race engineered" the facts we have so far are:

its actually heavier then the outgoing model
beam rear axle, again most would agree inferior to the outgoing multilink rear.

Guess we'll have to wait and see

Quick Reply: New Honda Civic Type-R . . .