Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Need to buy a people carrier................

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2006, 11:24 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need to buy a people carrier................

Basically I am selling my cars and chucking cash at my house. So I have bought my lovely cheap Volvo to replace my old Smart Roadster, and now the wife's A6 is sold and i have £2000 to spend.

So we want to buy a people carrier as we have 3 children 3 and under. For lots of reasons we are looking to purchase something that is a 6/7/8 seater so the kids can be strapped in their child seats and not wind each other up

So, this is the sort of configuration I like: Click me. This is an Espace, and not a bad choice for space and comfort.

But for the cash I want to spend, I have doubts about owning a French anything [including fiat ulysse] as they like to expire once they get on a bit. My ideal choice would be a Multipla, but there are more than I want to spend, but it maybe that if I spend a bit more, I may have trouble free motoring.

However, I will in vein look for something within my budget. I ideally want diesel but not intergalactic mileage. I have considered the Ford Sharambra, but bad spec and colours seem to be common and silly mile diesels. Also I worry about any auto over 100k.

The other option is the Jap import stuff. They look very low rent, but low mileage cars with lots of spec draws me in.

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

AM3
Old 14 September 2006, 12:39 PM
Vapid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Basically I am selling my cars and chucking cash at my house. So I have bought my lovely cheap Volvo to replace my old Smart Roadster, and now the wife's A6 is sold and i have £2000 to spend.

So we want to buy a people carrier as we have 3 children 3 and under. For lots of reasons we are looking to purchase something that is a 6/7/8 seater so the kids can be strapped in their child seats and not wind each other up

So, this is the sort of configuration I like: Click me. This is an Espace, and not a bad choice for space and comfort.

But for the cash I want to spend, I have doubts about owning a French anything [including fiat ulysse] as they like to expire once they get on a bit. My ideal choice would be a Multipla, but there are more than I want to spend, but it maybe that if I spend a bit more, I may have trouble free motoring.

However, I will in vein look for something within my budget. I ideally want diesel but not intergalactic mileage. I have considered the Ford Sharambra, but bad spec and colours seem to be common and silly mile diesels. Also I worry about any auto over 100k.

The other option is the Jap import stuff. They look very low rent, but low mileage cars with lots of spec draws me in.

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

AM3

Problem with the import stuff is that if anything goes wrong parts will be a nightmare. I'm thinking trim items here as well as mechanical stuff, I presume your kids will give any vehicle a rough ride.

Is your Volvo not one of the 7 seaters? I'd have though that would be an ideal car in your price range.

If not and I was you I'd dig a little deeper and get a Multipla. You'll only end up spending more in the long run if you choose a leggy Shalhambraxy or Japanese Import
Old 14 September 2006, 12:43 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

7 seat Volvo's have 2 reverse seats in the boot. Very dangerous for any child, but the fact mine are in child seats until they are 11 y/o makes it illegal to have the seats reverse facing. My car is a saloon too

I have almost put myself off any import TBH. I haven't read a good thing about them! No history, and well clocked in some instances.............

You way well be right on the Multipla front.
Old 14 September 2006, 12:46 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Andy,

No direct experience, but Espaces and Sharambras always come near to the bottom of reliabilty surveys IIRC. Didn't Honda do something called a Shuttle a few years ago ? They might be OK

Autotrader has a few on it...not sure if this link will work

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...ch_full=SEARCH
Old 14 September 2006, 12:51 PM
Vapid
BANNED

I feel almost embarassed mentioning it but how about a Sintra?

No, forget that buy a Multipla, with your budget there really aren't many choices.
Old 14 September 2006, 01:07 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Should have kept the A6 mate - huge boot that you can lock them in
Old 14 September 2006, 01:50 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Shuttle is an excellent bus. LS spec has 7 seats, ES/SE has 6. But they are petrol only.
Old 14 September 2006, 03:19 PM
madras
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just bought a new zafira, 1.8, VXR kit, keyless entry, alloys, a/c, upgraded cd player. Highly recommend getting one.

madras
Old 14 September 2006, 03:33 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

i have £2000 to spend.

AM3
Originally Posted by madras
Just bought a new zafira, 1.8, VXR kit, keyless entry, alloys, a/c, upgraded cd player. Highly recommend getting one.

madras
I think they are a touch out of my budget.

Originally Posted by Nat21
The clever family cars form Vauxhall are always highly praised.
I have had a look at the cheapest one's on the market and the seat configuration is not appropriate for my needs. More of a 5 seater that can take 7 people occasionally.
Old 14 September 2006, 03:53 PM
jealer69
Scooby Regular

Default People Carrier

We have a Toyota Estima which is an 8 seater 2.2TD.
Excellent vehicle and good reliability, There is also a thriving owners club:
http://www.estimaownersclub.com

and one of their members is also a trader:
http://www.algysautos.com/mpv.html

Well worth look as we went through the same process looking at all the usual makes.
Regards,

Steve.
Old 15 September 2006, 03:28 PM
Quinten
Scooby Regular

We've got a Mk3 Espace. As long as you make sure that all the electricals work, the aircon is nice and cool and there is no water in the cabin then you'll be fine. There are lemons in every brand and you'll only hear the horror stories.
Old 15 September 2006, 03:31 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Alhambra /sharon/galaxy? the mags are full of the buggers at easy prices..
Old 15 September 2006, 03:35 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Currently bidding on a ****ROEN SYNERGIE. 10 years old FSH, diesel turbo. That will do. Spoke to a specialitst locally. Major service including all the fluids and cam belt is £250 all in. Not too bad...................
Old 15 September 2006, 03:35 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

sorry to **** on your chips but why on earth do you need a bitch ugly people carrier to ferry 3 kids about?
My mum & dad used to fit us 3 kids in the back of a Triumph Vitesse with no probs at all...
If you feel like you need a people carrier fair enough but personally I will never be sucked into that I'm 30+ have kids, pot belly and no interest in life crap.

tbh 2k is not much to play with. My dad just got rid of his Toyota Mastersurf (piece of Jap crap, still don't know why he bought it) part ex'd for about 2k.
Old 16 September 2006, 03:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Varboy
sorry to **** on your chips but why on earth do you need a bitch ugly people carrier to ferry 3 kids about?
My mum & dad used to fit us 3 kids in the back of a Triumph Vitesse with no probs at all...
If you feel like you need a people carrier fair enough but personally I will never be sucked into that I'm 30+ have kids, pot belly and no interest in life crap.

tbh 2k is not much to play with. My dad just got rid of his Toyota Mastersurf (piece of Jap crap, still don't know why he bought it) part ex'd for about 2k.

Have you got three kids ?

We used to fit them in a T5, then a Merc M Class, now a Sharan which does its job, they will 'fit' in anything but comfort and still getting luggae in is a different matter, wouldnt buy another, too many niggly faults but at 2 grand beggars cant be choosers.

We paid twenty grand so you might as well spend 2 grand rather than twenty on one, they are pretty horrid but the wife likes it, I hate driving it but unfrtunately it is very useful.

Dont get a petrol, gutless and thirsty.
Old 16 September 2006, 06:42 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Wink

If they all have to be in child seats you'll struggle to get 3 child seats across the back of Triumph Vitesse!
You'll find it a squeeze in most Mondeo sized saloons to be honest!
Old 16 September 2006, 09:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 kids in a Triumph Vitesse in an accident, hmm, wonder what the outcome would be.
Old 16 September 2006, 10:38 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm in the same situation, I have 2 kids and another one on the way, BMW has to go since I can't fit 3 car seats across back row of seats (legal requirement for children upto 11years). Been tooking at Focus C-Max and Vw Touran. Does anyone have any experiences of either of these MPVs?
Old 17 September 2006, 07:59 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I found those cars to be too small jonc. We have been using a MY03 Audi A6 bit it is a major squeeze. We previously had a Fiat Multipla, which was a fantastic car for the job, cheap to buy, cheap to run, frugal space for 6 adults - but uncomfortable driving position for any length of time and little to enjoy about driving it. This is why the audi came along, but it is becoming a pain in the *** - so this is why we want change, again.

Despite the ford and VW looking like an MPV, I think they would be no bigger than using a regular saloon car. 3 seats across are pretty wide.
The other problem is getting kids in and out when they are 3 across, and they fight - all the time....................
Old 17 September 2006, 03:47 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
3 kids in a Triumph Vitesse in an accident, hmm, wonder what the outcome would be.
pretty bad I imagine so lets take it to the other end of the scale and logical conclusion, get a Hummer, but they didn't have those 25 years ago...

I'm not questioning the practicallity of MPVs just people's compulsion in buying one as soon as they conceive their first child.
Old 17 September 2006, 07:12 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I'm questioning people's compulsion in buying one as soon as they conceive their first child.
Why?
Old 17 September 2006, 07:51 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Andy M3,

I did consider larger MPVs, ie Galexy, Sharan, Voyager, but didn't like the idea of using the 3rd row permanently since that the third row sits in what is the rear crumple zone. Plus it reduces luggage space for a family trip with 2 kids plus a baby and parking space is a premium where I live so are they are too big. I'm hoping that the CMax or Tourans will fit 2 booster seats and rear facing seat.
Old 18 September 2006, 09:15 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Andy M3,

I did consider larger MPVs, ie Galexy, Sharan, Voyager, but didn't like the idea of using the 3rd row permanently since that the third row sits in what is the rear crumple zone. Plus it reduces luggage space for a family trip with 2 kids plus a baby and parking space is a premium where I live so are they are too big. I'm hoping that the CMax or Tourans will fit 2 booster seats and rear facing seat.
I was in the same position when looking to spend about £15k on a car, didn't want a massive car due to size and running cost but the smaller one’s [Scenic, VW, Ford] are very tight. The great news is that there is a car for you. The not so great news, is that it is a Fiat Multipla. I kid you not. Go take a look once you have seen the Ford/VW they are by far the most practical car for the job. If you want a bit more luxury the Honda FRV is slightly smaller - but you can get diesel, auto, leather, nav etc etc.............

As of today all kid’s under 12 y/o or 4’5” need to be on a booster seat.......

Lots to think about, but good luck in your search
Old 18 September 2006, 10:30 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Why?
simply because there is always a difference in what you need and what you want
Old 18 September 2006, 10:49 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

simply because there is always a difference in what you need and what you want
Shouldn't that my prerogative?

What do you drive?
Old 19 September 2006, 12:08 AM
jonnystiv1
Scooby Regular

have to say reno not the best idea in the world fall appart my da had one heap of scrap maybe toyota previa
Old 19 September 2006, 09:58 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonnystiv1
have to say reno not the best idea in the world fall appart my da had one heap of scrap maybe toyota previa
come again
Old 19 September 2006, 10:04 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Shouldn't that my prerogative?

What do you drive?
of course it is...

if I had to get one it would be a Seat Alahambra.....

I'll go back to my 'sad' childless life now where I don't have to worry about 'space' for 3 baby seats, vomit proof upholstery, middle aged spread and my once playboy lifestyle slipping through my fingers.

As you can guess I love kids

Back to the post, Seat Alahambra and best of luck whatever you choose
Old 19 September 2006, 10:08 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Take it you drive something that is inappropriate for your needs

Quick Reply: Need to buy a people carrier................