Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

bmw 330d

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2006, 04:10 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bmw 330d

Well I sold my WR1 on friday, 7 years and 3 scoobs after I first got the 'bug' for em and that was probably my departure from scoob ownership.

Anyhow I now want a 330d sport auto, looking for one about 01/02 plate and I just wondered what things I should be looking for when buying one.

Cheers

Gary
Old 11 September 2006, 04:19 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
I just wondered what things I should be looking for when buying one.

Cheers

Gary
How big the **** on the roof is.
Old 11 September 2006, 04:23 PM
Vapid
BANNED

Blown turbo, blown turbo and blown turbo, plus some bits of trim don't wear well.

Oh and wishbones and balljoints.

Also auto will give you similar economy to petrol manual and be slower than a manual.
Old 11 September 2006, 04:27 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Take a look over yonder: https://www.scoobynet.com/330d-turbo....html?t=511364

AM3
Old 11 September 2006, 05:11 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I'm similar to you gary. Had 4 Imprezas over 7-8 years then had enough. Went diesel for a while, then I bought a MY00 Impreza last week for little money. You won't feel it yet but you probably will leave it about a year then start wanting one again
Old 11 September 2006, 05:27 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

Turbo as mentioned seems weak compared to other makes.

Having driven many manuals and auto BMW diesels the auto is much better and effectively as quick if not quicker. The diesel engine really suits it and there is nothing in it acceleration wise but it's alot easier to drive !
Old 11 September 2006, 06:28 PM
cazneck
Scooby Regular

Default bye bye scoob

Hi Mate
i,ve just sold my 02 bugeye wrx, had it 2 years and spent a fortune modding it, but i thought time had come so i decided to change, i now have an , 05 BMW M3 SMG2. Fully loaded with all the goodies,sat nav ,tv, dvd, in car phone system. 346bhp standard, so my first mod is going to be air induction kit, change the exhaust and lose one of the cat,s,followed by re,map and geometry set up.. have to be carefull with mods at moment because it may affect warrenty if i change to much, but as always i will still be dropping by scoobynet and checking out the gossip

Trending Topics

Old 11 September 2006, 07:04 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Had a Man 2005 E46. Bigknd (on here) bought it off me.

Very capable motor, 40mpg average, quiet and refined. Make sure you get leather for resale. Auto box down 4-5mpg on Average.

However...I lasted 3 months with it before i hanckered back into a Scoob. it is such a dull anonymous car, summed up perfectly when I had to follow a client to a different office, he asked what car I had, and I said Grey BMW 3 series, and he said "great, pick you out on the motorway easily then" in a sarcastic tone!
Old 11 September 2006, 07:31 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your input guys! Yes I'll see how it goes re: getting bored and perhaps considering another scoob. Yes Ive been deliberating over auto vs man but I just want something to cruise in so an auto is the one I want.

Gary
Old 12 September 2006, 07:54 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

I like the 330d. Heard you can chip the thing up to have the same torque as a M3.

However, Ive heard that the plastic intake manifold breaks up, and spits bits into the turbo etc etc, then blowing the turbo. As many are now out of warranty, big cash to fix up.

So, if you get one, get one with a warranty. Personalily I would go for a VW diesel, or so to hell with it, and buy a M3 evo, cheap, quick, and relative good mpg.

SBK
Old 12 September 2006, 09:15 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Then you'd be the realms of VANOS failure. Better bet is the standard M3
Old 12 September 2006, 02:21 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
I now want a 330d sport auto,
I just wondered what things I should be looking for when buying one.

Cheers

Gary
Check to see if the indicators work (most don't ), and also the lights are bright enough to flash the morons out of the BMW lane on the motorway

Just kidding, hope you like it (but not being let out of junctions!!)
Old 12 September 2006, 10:35 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

What a moronic set of replies - replies from a group of owners that do their own brand (I gues at Subaru, but maybe wrong !) less good than that of BMW.........

FFS - Gary asked a question about the 330d..... if you don't know anything about it, why on earth do you feel compelled to respond in such an inane way ?

My god - this place really hacks me off at times.....
Old 13 September 2006, 12:48 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

330d's don't suffer from blown turbo's, it's the 320's that can have a few problems ... I've a 330d sport (51 plate for sale by the way) & I've had no turbo problems. My father in law however had a 320d which suffered from a blown turbo!

TX.

Originally Posted by Vapid
Blown turbo, blown turbo and blown turbo, plus some bits of trim don't wear well.

Also auto will give you similar economy to petrol manual and be slower than a manual.
Old 13 September 2006, 12:49 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Diesel envy

Old 13 September 2006, 12:52 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by sbk1972
However, Ive heard that the plastic intake manifold breaks up, and spits bits into the turbo etc etc, then blowing the turbo. As many are now out of warranty, big cash to fix up.
SBK
Not true. My father in law paid £1k to get a new turbo, supplied & fixed.

TX.
Old 13 September 2006, 01:08 AM
John57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
330d's don't suffer from blown turbo's, it's the 320's that can have a few problems ... I've a 330d sport (51 plate for sale by the way) & I've had no turbo problems. My father in law however had a 320d which suffered from a blown turbo!

TX.
Err ..... we have a fleet of 530d's at work (same engines as 330d up to recent changes) and the most common fault has been repeated blown turbos or the turbo pipework coming adrift. Rest of car superb .....

New diesels seem a different beast but too early to tell if more reliable in the turbo dept.
Old 13 September 2006, 06:55 AM
Vapid
BANNED

Diesel envy
Why would stating the actual facts be 'diesel envy'. Turbos are a common failure on the 3.0 BMW diesel and the auto is about as economical as a manual 3.0 petrol.
Also why would anyone have 'diesel envy'? Surely they'd just buy a diesel? I've had a few BMW diesels and they were great for what they are.
Old 13 September 2006, 07:27 AM
bigknd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Had a Man 2005 E46. Bigknd (on here) bought it off me.

Very capable motor, 40mpg average, quiet and refined. Make sure you get leather for resale. Auto box down 4-5mpg on Average.

However...I lasted 3 months with it before i hanckered back into a Scoob. it is such a dull anonymous car, summed up perfectly when I had to follow a client to a different office, he asked what car I had, and I said Grey BMW 3 series, and he said "great, pick you out on the motorway easily then" in a sarcastic tone!

Hi Matt,

Yes the other half is now doing over 80miles per day and returning over 40mpg as you stated above, very pleased with it but also have my car for the fun days, she does miss her scoob though
Old 13 September 2006, 08:58 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Ive read many reports about the 330d having turbo issues. I was looking to buy a X5 3.0d, and did some research, which came up with quite a few reports. I also spoke to my friend who works in a BMW dealer, asking him his thoughts about the 3.0d engine. He confirmed the turbo issues, and the plastic manifold or something like that, so Im only repeating what Ive read /been told.

However, as many turbo's that blow, many dont, so its a weakness that a buyer should be aware of. If you buy a car with a warranty, then great, you have no problems, if not, then you should try and check this out.

Although only a grand to sort out a blown turbo, its still a grand and a wedge of cash that I still see as big money. All turbos go, wear out etc, but the 3.0d BMW seems to have a higher rate of failures than others. Just my opinion.

But, saying this, for the right price, with a warranty, I would have one. I would prefer an auto, as Im lazy, but if chipped, Ive heard, never tried though, that the 330d manual is a pretty sharp car.

At the end of the day, there are loads of other good diesels to pick from, as well as BMW. VW, peugoet, citroen, toyota. Perhaps establish a budget and see what you can get.

My comment about the E36 M3 evo is that I find my one pokey, very good on fuel and cheap now. But again, there are weakness like the vanos.

As for not indicating ? I dont have to as Im never off the fast lane anyway ! :-)

SBK
Old 13 September 2006, 10:31 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I have a 320CD Coupe Sport that's had both a new turbo at 60k miles and a blown engine due to broken manifold at 90k miles. It now has a brand new BMW engine and turbo (£6k ) under warranty.

Only had it a month or so but we may have to sell it soon due to needing 5 doors Nice car, though the engine/turbo problems don't make life easy, or confidence in the car very high.
Old 13 September 2006, 10:49 AM
Vapid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I have a 320CD Coupe Sport that's had both a new turbo at 60k miles and a blown engine due to broken manifold at 90k miles. It now has a brand new BMW engine and turbo (£6k ) under warranty.

Only had it a month or so but we may have to sell it soon due to needing 5 doors Nice car, though the engine/turbo problems don't make life easy, or confidence in the car very high.

320D is even worse for turbo faults, the E90 I had on lease was suffering the first signs of it at 8K miles. May have had something to do with the tuning box and merciless thrashings though.
Old 13 September 2006, 05:20 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

TX.

330d's certainly do suffer from turbo failure....Id advise you to go to www.bmwland.co.uk for some more infromed advice.
Old 14 September 2006, 07:10 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Wink

Why would stating the actual facts be 'diesel envy'. Turbos are a common failure on the 3.0 BMW diesel and the auto is about as economical as a manual 3.0 petrol.
Also why would anyone have 'diesel envy'? Surely they'd just buy a diesel? I've had a few BMW diesels and they were great for what they are.
Sorry fella, I was being provocative ... I don't agree with you though as "blown turbo, blown turbo" gives impression that it's a common issue when it's not (on the 330d).

TX.
Old 14 September 2006, 07:18 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Guys, guys, put it in perspective ... how many 330d's are there in the country vs how many blown turbo's? I'm guessing that you don't have a clue hence talk of "blown turbo, blown turbo" & "Turbos are a common failure" is really just b0llox!

TX.
Old 14 September 2006, 07:24 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by turboman786
330d's certainly do suffer from turbo failure....Id advise you to go to www.bmwland.co.uk for some more infromed advice.
I'll register & ask the question. As I've already said though it seems to be more common with the 320d & I've not heard of the 330d having similar issues.

TX.
Old 14 September 2006, 08:41 AM
Vapid
BANNED

Sorry fella, I was being provocative ... I don't agree with you though as "blown turbo, blown turbo" gives impression that it's a common issue when it's not (on the 330d).

TX.
It is, I've owned a 330D, 320D and 330 petrol and the turbo'd cars either had been subject to turbo replacement before I got it (the 330d) or were suffering the first signs of it (320D). I guess you should try and find out something about the subject before shooting off your mouth?

Go register on BMW land and take a look at what people who know what they are talking about say.

BTW what is 'diesel envy'?
Old 14 September 2006, 09:07 AM
mellowman
Scooby Newbie

It is, I've owned a 330D, 320D and 330 petrol and the turbo'd cars either had been subject to turbo replacement before I got it (the 330d) or were suffering the first signs of it (320D). I guess you should try and find out something about the subject before shooting off your mouth?

Go register on BMW land and take a look at what people who know what they are talking about say.

BTW what is 'diesel envy'?
Well, to bat for the opposition, I've had four turbo diesel BMWs, including two 330Ds and a 320D. No probs on the 330Ds, only the turbo on the 320D.

I wonder how many 330D turbo failures were the result of chipping or remapping?

Oh, and I speak as someone who's just had to rebuild the engine on my Scooby - so much for Jap reliability...

Basically, you can 'prove' anything stating personal experience but putting aside these opinions I would say:

The 330D, especially in Sport form, is an enjoyable drive but not the thrill of your life like a Scoobie. I have a motorbike for kicks though - not even the Scooby can compete with that :-)

The economy of the manual is superb, but the auto can be disappointing.

The spec is very important, colour, trim and goodies can make all the difference between humdrum and object of desire.

Tyres for 18" MVs are pricey. Many known niggles like wishbones, rubber donut free play in the transmission (guibo thingy) and more common than usual MAF problems, cheaply sorted.

They are a brilliant compromise - especially in touring form - not the best at everything but a great all-rounder!
Old 14 September 2006, 09:13 AM
Vapid
BANNED

Originally Posted by mellowman
Well, to bat for the opposition, I've had four turbo diesel BMWs, including two 330Ds and a 320D. No probs on the 330Ds, only the turbo on the 320D.

I wonder how many 330D turbo failures were the result of chipping or remapping?

Oh, and I speak as someone who's just had to rebuild the engine on my Scooby - so much for Jap reliability...

Basically, you can 'prove' anything stating personal experience but putting aside these opinions I would say:

The 330D, especially in Sport form, is an enjoyable drive but not the thrill of your life like a Scoobie. I have a motorbike for kicks though - not even the Scooby can compete with that :-)

The economy of the manual is superb, but the auto can be disappointing.

The spec is very important, colour, trim and goodies can make all the difference between humdrum and object of desire.

Tyres for 18" MVs are pricey. Many known niggles like wishbones, rubber donut free play in the transmission (guibo thingy) and more common than usual MAF problems, cheaply sorted.

They are a brilliant compromise - especially in touring form - not the best at everything but a great all-rounder!

What the **** has the Impreza to do with this? We are talking about BMW TD's. I mean a triumph stag has engine reliability problems as well but ITS **** ALL TO DO WITH THE SUBJECT. I don't own a fecking impreza either, I just find it irritating when some pr1ck says 'well what about an impreza'- WHAT ABOUT IT? IT ISN'T THE TOPIC OF CONVERSATION- YOU FECKING MORON.

and breathe............

BMW TD failures are a matter of record not just a few anecdotes they are a well known warranty issue and well documented over on BMW land.

Also as far as I'm aware nobody asked for a mini review but yes BMW TD's offer a great compromise as they are still fun to drive while being fairly economical.

To correct some innacuracy in your post wishbones are not a cheap fix.

I do sometimes wonder about other people who post on here and if they were dropped on the head as a child.
Old 14 September 2006, 09:24 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Vapid, calm down with the insults, I hope you're not that much of a **** in real life

You give Northerners a bad name

Quick Reply: bmw 330d