Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

golf tdi which bhp to get

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2006, 09:34 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default golf tdi which bhp to get

i know someone is going top say the 150.

but does anyone have any experience of thr 90,100,130,150

which one is easier to lived with
i fancy i nice three door tdi in a couple of years when the kids have recked the current people carrier
Old 10 September 2006, 11:58 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

In a couple of years? You haven't wrapped next years Christmas prezzies too have you

i've had a 115 and a 130 Golf gt tdis. I purposely did not go for a 150 as there seems to be a few extra niggles compared to the rest of the range. Plus the examples i looked at were abused.

The 115 or the 130 is plenty quick, and with a 6 speed gearbox. Pretty solid cars, I'd have another.
Old 11 September 2006, 01:03 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Used to have a Golf 130, currently have a Fabia vRS (130) and an Ibiza Cupra (160).

I would say stay away from the 150. If it's anything like my Ibiza (it is...), they have a slightly different turbo and front mount intercooler which makes them feel really REALLY laggy compared to the 130s.

It's quite well known that the 130 Golf is a lot sweeter to drive than the 150...but make sure you try both, cos if you don't you'll hanker after a 150...

Iirc don't the 150s have the proper (gti) Recaros too??
Old 11 September 2006, 06:06 AM
moveover
Scooby Regular

How about the new 168 BHP 2.0 TDi?
Old 11 September 2006, 07:03 AM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

The 150 had the VW Sports seats, not the Recaros. The Recaros were available as an expensive option. The 150 cars also had climate control as standard, which was nice.

I had a 150bhp car and it never gave me any problems apart from the hose to the rear wiper split, but that`s a common Mk4 fault.

I bought a 150 over the 130 because they have the suspension from the regular petrol GTI as standard. It was OK and I`d definately have another. The 130 may be sweeter to drive (I only tried this engine in a Bora) but I just enjoyed the feel of the 150 more.
Old 11 September 2006, 08:10 AM
Vapid
BANNED

People who say the 130 is better than a 150 probably own a 130 themselves.

130 feels initially faster ie better throttle response and instant zip but very quickly runs out of puff when you get moving. Spec is worse and suspension is AWFUL. If you buy one budget on new suspension if you want to get any sort of enjoyment from it.

Remap the 150 and most of the lag issues are sorted with the map and you have a much better vehicle than the 130. Even mapped and putting out slightly lower figures than the 150 the 130 just doesn't cut it at higher speeds.

Same goes for the 130 engines in other VAG cars.

150 also has a stronger clutch.

Have you considered a 150 Bora instead? If you can live with the looks they are usually very highly specced and much cheaper than a Golf.

Also avoid the 115 and it's 5 speed box and awful spec, the 110 (non-PD) is better particularly with a tuning box.
Old 11 September 2006, 12:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might as well get a petrol one mate, you only do a few thousand miles a year so why pay over the odds for a Diesel one ?
Old 11 September 2006, 12:55 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

I had a 130 and power was excellent. pulled really nice from just under 2000 RPM. I would recommend changing the springs though as it was like being on a boat. I had 18s fitted and a 40mm drop. Tyres wore my arches away so drop it 30mm if you lower it.
Old 11 September 2006, 01:25 PM
Vapid
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Might as well get a petrol one mate, you only do a few thousand miles a year so why pay over the odds for a Diesel one ?
If he's doing low miles then why buy a MKIV Golf? To put it frankly they are cr@p. I can see the point of a frugal high power diesel in a certain price range ie a MKIV TDI but other than that there is no reason whatsoever to choose a MKIV Golf.
I can't stress enough what poor cars they are from every standpoint except maybe perceived build quality and residual values (although these aren't as good as they were). These cars bring a new meaning to 'crap handling' think of a MK1 Vectra for a comparison. Wooden chassis, dead feeling pedals inert steering- dynamically just utter sh1te. Not to mention the quite appalling reliability and numerous design faults (climatronic fans, window drop, coil packs, rear window wipe leak/stain, water pump failures, weak clutch etc etc etc)
A Focus is in every respect (save higher power diesels) a much, much better car. Not to mention Skoda Octavia, Leon if you must have something from the VAG stable.
Old 11 September 2006, 01:44 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Nothing wrong with my 2 Golfs and I bought it for motorway driving, not rallying around B roads.
Old 11 September 2006, 03:05 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I have an 02 plate PD130 TDi, with just under 20k on the clock. Thinking of selling if you're interested . . . 3 door, black, only mods are Eibachs and 18" Kahn RS-R's. Great car in almost as new condition . . . but the urge to change beckons again

Drives fine on the 18's by the way, don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you otherwise

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 11 September 2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11 September 2006, 03:17 PM
Vapid
BANNED

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Nothing wrong with my 2 Golfs and I bought it for motorway driving, not rallying around B roads.
Tramlining, noise and general crap refinement on the bigger rims the higher power diesels tend to have make them a far worse bet than the equivalent Focus which is a better all round drive as well.

The 18" Khans on DJ DUNK's car not only ruin what little handling poise the car had they also destroy the ride. 17's are the optimal size for the MKIV chassis.
Old 11 September 2006, 03:28 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vapid
Tramlining, noise and general crap refinement

Again, not in my experience. If you want tramlining try a 22b or a typeR Impreza. Noise? None more so than any other diesel, and refinement? Not sure what you mean as that's a very general word, however, my Golf was well screwed together with no rattles or bits falling off.
Old 11 September 2006, 03:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

They dont handle, recent experience of a fully laden 100 Tdi Auto estate up to Buxton, nearly as wobbly and inept as my Saab, and it stunk of Retreiver.
Old 11 September 2006, 04:10 PM
Vapid
BANNED

Again, not in my experience. If you want tramlining try a 22b or a typeR Impreza. Noise? None more so than any other diesel, and refinement? Not sure what you mean as that's a very general word, however, my Golf was well screwed together with no rattles or bits falling off.
The cars you are comparing it to aren't mass market shopping trolleys. I'm comparing the Golf to it's rivals and it doesn't stand up well to them. A Golf on 18's is one of the worst riding vehicles I've ever had a go at. By that I mean that the size of the rims compromises the chassis. It has such poor compliance that on 18's (on whatever suspension) the amount of shock absorbance offered by a 40 section tyre isn't nearly enough. The result is skipping on anything other than the smoothest surface.
On smaller rims the car is better but still tends to tramline. The MKIV chassis is as poor as a MK1 Vectra.
By refinement I mean road noise and comfort on the larger rims that people tend to put on them. Plus the 1.9 unit is VERY noisy compared to modern stuff. MKIV Golfs are sh1te and that's coming from someone who has owned (company and private) more than one.

You can do better.

Last edited by Vapid; 11 September 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11 September 2006, 04:19 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Well all I can say is that I never experienced tramlining at all in the Golfs. I had standard wheels and tyres. The handling isn't that great but I didn't buy the car for handling, I bought it for economy, comfort, reliability and residual value. Ticked all the boxes for me.

Also, AFAIK the 115 had a 6 speed gearbox not a 5 speed,and the spec wasn't awful at all.
Old 11 September 2006, 04:22 PM
Vapid
BANNED

Well all I can say is that I never experienced tramlining at all in the Golf. I had standard wheels and tyres. The handling isn't that great but I didn't buy the car for handling, I bought it for economy, comfort, reliability and residual value. Ticked all the boxes for me.

Also, AFAIK the 115 had a 6 speed gearbox not a 5 speed,and the spec wasn't awful at all.
Very few of the 115's have the 6 speed box, it was an extra cost option. Tramlining is documented in the press never mind my anecdotal experience. Spec is awful unless you like boat like suspension, no climate, crap seats and no toys whatsoever allied with horrible looking cloth

Residual value argument is dead in the water these days. A focus beat the Golf in every respect save perhaps image (although I regard the Golf IV's image as in the toilet since the V came out)

The IV is an outdated car that's beaten by it's class rivals.
Old 11 September 2006, 04:31 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Very few of the 115's have the 6 speed box, it was an extra cost option. Tramlining is documented in the press never mind my anecdotal experience. Spec is awful unless you like boat like suspension, no climate, crap seats and no toys whatsoever allied with horrible looking cloth

Residual value argument is dead in the water these days. A focus beat the Golf in every respect save perhaps image (although I regard the Golf IV's image as in the toilet since the V came out)

The IV is an outdated car that's beaten by it's class rivals.
Strange that every Golf I called about when looking at 115's, had 6 spd boxes. A quick look on HonestJohn and he reckons the 115s had 6 spd boxes too.

Seats were fine on both my Golfs, very comfy even on very long journeys. Had a cd player, lecky windows, lecky heated mirrors, alloy wheels, colour coding, ESP traction control, abs. And aircon/leather seats as options, pratically poverty spec I tell ya How can a residual argument be dead in the water

Toys wise, I get in a car to drive not play about. It's a diesel Golf FFS.

The mk4 is outdated, that's why there is a mk5. It is an 8 year old design after all.
Old 11 September 2006, 04:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yep, all 6 speed with the PD engine unless I am very much mistaken, my brother in law has a W reg 115 and thats a six speeder. Our Sharam is a PD 115 and that has six and my other brother in laws PD100 is a six speeder.
Old 11 September 2006, 06:01 PM
Vapid
BANNED

The 115's we had on fleet were all 5 speed. Of course the MIV is outdated the point is that it's contemporaries are far better cars ie TDCI 115 Focus.

The residual argument doesn't hold water because you will lose more money on a MKIV diesel than you'd lose on say, A FOCUS, because of it's much higher initial purchase price. When you were talking about new/nearly new metal then the economics favoured the golf, now they don't.

I took a look on autotrader and the 115's do seem to be 6 speeders- the one's we had on fleet definately weren't.

Here's a quote for you from TDI CLUB

"The PD115 came in two different torque variants. The higher torque engine was given the 6 speed gearbox when it was developed, but before that the 5 speed couldn't handle the torque so they reduced torque to allow for this. As you already have the six speed, the driveshafts etc. will all be the same as the next six speed you want to put in, but a five speed won't fit.

You should be able to pick up a 150 engine and gearbox but not gonna be cheap I doubt. And best get the ECU and as many other bits as possible for an easy swap. Much cheaper is to source a 115, or get yours fixed."

So if you're looking at a 115 make sure it's the higher torque, 6 speed variant.

Last edited by Vapid; 11 September 2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11 September 2006, 06:15 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

The 115's we had on fleet were all 5 speed. Of course the MIV is outdated the point is that it's contemporaries are far better cars ie TDCI 115 Focus.

The residual argument doesn't hold water because you will lose more money on a MKIV diesel than you'd lose on say, A FOCUS, because of it's much higher initial purchase price. When you were talking about new/nearly new metal then the economics favoured the golf, now they don't.
I've never, ever, seen a 5 speed 115 golf gt tdi. If you can show me one I'd be impressed.

The tdci focus was launched in 2002, around the time that production of the old shape Golf was coming to it's end, and certainly development was at an end. A better comparison would be the earlier Focus diesel launched in 1998 (around the same time as the mk4 Golf), with a whopping 89 bhp

Even taking the Golf against a tdci you're looking at 150 or 130 bhp models against 115 bhp Focuses. When these cars are primerily built and sold as mile munching cruisers that spend most of their lives going on straight smooth roads, this is a massive issue.

Depreciation is an issue in a 8 year old car just as it is in a new/nearly new car. Ok, the figures might be smaller, but you could still be talking thousands. % wise the Golf holds it's own very well indeed at any age.

I still maintain the mk4 Golfs (gt tdis) are great cars for the money.
Old 11 September 2006, 07:36 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

People who say the 130 is better than a 150 probably own a 130 themselves.
Did you not read my post properly, or are you not refering to me? I DO own the higher powered engine (albeit in an Ibiza), and I recommend the lower powered alternative as its nicer to drive.

I thought the 130 engine was really fast until I jumped in the 150/160 variant (although to be fair mine is remapped). Jumping between the vRS and Cupra, the vRS is so much more fun to drive around town.

In all honesty I'd say buy the nicest example you can find(regardless of power). I've still got a soft spot for the Golf, and if I could have my time over again I'd have bought an anniversary (cos the body kit and seats look awesome, even though it was only available as the 150). Sadly they've all done silly mileages.
Old 11 September 2006, 08:45 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

anytime now jacko will be along to tell me why i must put a particular type of oil in it.
wont you jacko
Old 11 September 2006, 09:11 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I purposely looked for the TDI 150 over the 130 because they have:

1) a front mounted intercooler (rather than the side mount)
2) stronger engine internals
3) VW "sports" suspension

I wasn't going to leave it standard and knew I would chip it, so wanted the best base to start from.

Fortunately the car was already chipped when I bought it, saving me more cash! So currently making do with 180bhp/300lbft
Old 12 September 2006, 07:10 AM
Vapid
BANNED

I've never, ever, seen a 5 speed 115 golf gt tdi. If you can show me one I'd be impressed.

The tdci focus was launched in 2002, around the time that production of the old shape Golf was coming to it's end, and certainly development was at an end. A better comparison would be the earlier Focus diesel launched in 1998 (around the same time as the mk4 Golf), with a whopping 89 bhp

Even taking the Golf against a tdci you're looking at 150 or 130 bhp models against 115 bhp Focuses. When these cars are primerily built and sold as mile munching cruisers that spend most of their lives going on straight smooth roads, this is a massive issue.

Depreciation is an issue in a 8 year old car just as it is in a new/nearly new car. Ok, the figures might be smaller, but you could still be talking thousands. % wise the Golf holds it's own very well indeed at any age.

I still maintain the mk4 Golfs (gt tdis) are great cars for the money.

I notice you handily didn't bother quoting the bottom of my post with the quote from the vw site regarding the low and high torque variants of the PD115.

Frankly you're talking out of your lower orifice or more politely comparing apples and oranges re the launch dates of the Focus and Golf. They were class competitors throughout most of their lives and the Focus was by far the better car in every respect. The only ace the MKIV held was its high power diesels which was adressed by the TDCI115- a car as quick as the PD130 acceleration wise and obviously in a different league regarding handling.

Of course depreciation is an issue but one the Golf doesn't win, diesel Focus are not only cheaper to buy they hold their value just as well if not better.

As far as I can see it a Golf is a misguided vanity purchase on the behalf of most buyers who somehow think it is 'classier' than say a Focus. Personally I see them all as drossy mass market hatches so I'd just buy the most versatile and capable ie a focus.

Of course if you want a relatively high power diesel I could see some logic in buying a PD150, then mapping and putting a new exhaust system on it. A 200 bhp MKIV does shift, at least on the straights

Oh and the other poster who thought I was talking about him, I wasn't, I wasn't even aware of your name or that you had posted anything. I was talking about the usual 130 owners who turn up on these threads and claim the 130 is better- which it isn't.
Old 12 September 2006, 07:25 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Actually when I replied to your post all that was in the quotes was all that you typed in. You added the rest after I had started my reply, it's not a case of not bothering at all. All i asked for was you to produce me a car that's 115 bhp with a 5 spd gearbox, a feat you still have not managed.

To say I'm talking out of my **** is quite frankly nonsense. You cannot cherry pick which Focus you are going to compare the Golf to. Find it amusing that you're dropping the original Focus diesel like a hot brick with it's massive 89 bhp. And a Golf a vanity purchase? Maybe for some people. One factor for me was the look of the Golf, IMHO a much nicer car to own.

The Focus does quite frankly not hold it's value better than the Golf, even including the price differencials.

Won't even go into the mk5 Golf against the latest Focus

Right, I've a plane to catch, enough of this utter nonsense.
Old 12 September 2006, 07:37 AM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

I notice you handily didn't bother quoting the bottom of my post with the quote from the vw site regarding the low and high torque variants of the PD115.
And I notice you didn`t read his post correctly.

He mentioned that he`d never seen a 5 speed GT TDI 115. As the GT TDI didn`t get the lower output engine he`s 100% correct.

Oh, I`ve also owned 3 Mk4 Golfs and driven around 100,000 miles between them. Apart from the rear windscreen wiper hose splitting in one car,(sorted under warranty in 1 hour) they never missed a beat.
Old 12 September 2006, 07:56 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've got a 130 Bora Sport and I have to agree with Vapid. Loads of low down torque but it runs out of puff above about 3000 rpm (although a Milltek exhaust has helped this). The ride and handling are "strange". It rolls a lot in corners but doesn't absorb bumps. Speed humps are a particular nightmare and it feels like your spine is going to come out through the top of your head at anything over 2mph. The car feels VERY heavy when you're throwing it around and in the wet with all that boot behind the rear axle it's very easy to get it sideways.

But as above, I didn't buy it as a drivers car, I bought it to do 15,000 motorway miles a year which it does brilliantly although it rarely does the promised 50mpg (more like 46). And the Sports seats used to give me chronic backache but I guess I'm used to them now.
Old 12 September 2006, 08:21 AM
Vapid
BANNED

Some utter bollox on here from other posters (notrev excepted).

MKV Golf V Focus is another story all together although looking at the stupid premiums wanted by VW dealers I see value in a 130TDCI over a 140 MKV.

Any version of the original Focus is much better drive than ANY MKIV. With the money saved on initial purchase price on say a petrol focus you could have a far more refined car that handles better and pay for your fuel for a year or two.
I had what may people consider the ultimate MKIV a PD150 which the previous owner had fitted with anniversary brakes and suspension. It had heated recaros, climatronic, xenons, cruise and was one of the worst driving cars I've ever owned. About as much charm as a freshly laid turd.
In the time I owned it it had most of the faults common to the model, but that isn't why I disliked it. Put frankly they are **** cars as well as overpriced. Regarding reliability just look how they do in surveys.

The sweet spot as far as the MKIV based cars goes is either in a Bora (cheap better spec) or elsewhere in the VAG group.

The tosh about the MKIV holding it's value is frankly laughable- look at Glass's they are shedding more value than a comparable focus.

oh and simon here's a quote from him

"Strange that every Golf I called about when looking at 115's, had 6 spd boxes. "- which they don't. As I said all our 115's on fleet were 5 speeders.

Last edited by Vapid; 12 September 2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12 September 2006, 09:07 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I bought a brand new mk4 golf back in 2000 for £15K. M anaged to get leather and climate control thrown in after a haggle. 3 years and 40,000 miles later, I sold the old girl for £10K. Not bad eh Vapid!

Quick Reply: golf tdi which bhp to get