Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MG ZT-T

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2006, 11:16 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MG ZT-T

Am really in the market for a Mondeo TDCi, but have the chance of a good condition, 35000-miles 2002 MG ZT Tourer 190+ (ie estate) at a good price....

So it's a 30mpg 2500cc petrol, rather than a 45mpg 2000cc TDCi, but the price differential between the two will pay for an awful lot of petrol

Downsides are the obvious "where do I get it serviced/what happens if something breaks etc etc". So what's the latest on this...this hasn't been discussed here for a year or so, so things might have changed or stabilised

The views of the assembled SN experts are awaited...

TIA, Martin
Old 22 August 2006, 11:24 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of people to service these cars- its hardly exotica.

Have you looked at the diesel version of MG ZT?

135bhp with the BMW engine. Excellent bit of kit- around £5.5-£6k maybe for a decent ish one.
Old 22 August 2006, 12:09 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

The 190 V6 doesn't do 30mpg...... 22mpg more like it, 27mpg if gentle.

Here are the official figures and it never got close to these.

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/sea...s.asp?id=12550

Last edited by Reffro; 22 August 2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 22 August 2006, 12:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad has one (ZT 190+) and loves it, it drives really well, the handling for a big car is fantastic and it feels a lot more special than the Mondeo, he gets 24/25 mpg knocking about and on his short commute, 30 ish on longer runs. Servicing no problem, that engine is well proven and does service in other models as well so parts shouldnt be an issue, some body panels can be hard (not impossible) to source, my uncle has a 1950's Jowett car and he bought a ZT 260 on the basis of the fact he can get everything he needs for his classic so why should a modern MG be a problem. The MG isnt that quick, it pulls and makes a nice noise but if you are used to Scoobs then it may not be that impressive, but its quick enough. I think the MG is one of the most distinctive looking cars on the road, the Mondeo looks ok but very very common.

My brother has the same Mondeo and does a lot of travelling, it does near enough 50 mpg. Its a good car but so dull and predicatable.

Depends whether you want something a bit different or a Mini Cab ?

Old 22 August 2006, 06:21 PM
logbrog
Scooby Regular

Martin

Excellent Car can't recommend them highly enough.

Fit a tow bar and it would pull a 205 rallye out of the Welsh forests no problem at all.

Plenty of room in the boot for spare Gearboxes, Diffs etc

Start writing the cheque out now

Regards

Logbrog
Old 22 August 2006, 07:15 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I've owned a 2.5V6 75 and now run a Mondeo TDCi so I can comment on the econmomy.
For my mixed driving (10 mile A and B road through a town centre to work) the V6 75 averaged 22mpg and the Mondeo does 48mpg.

If you do intend to tow the Mondeo is in a different league.
The 2.5 KV6 has around 170lbft but at a high 4000rpm and it doesn't produce much torque at low rpm, with a 1000kg trailer on the back I was always having to drop gears and the fuel economy really suffered with around 16-18mpg on most runs.
The 130TDCi in the Mondeo produces 266lbft of torque from only 1800rpm which is bang on a cruising 50-60mph (5th and 6th on mine) I hardly ever have to change down from 5th on a motorway and the mpg is around 32mpg with the trailer on.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 22 August 2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 22 August 2006, 08:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Get a Saab turbo, mine has 177 lbs ft at about half the rpm and does 34 mpg, plus it doesnt sound like tractor, the handling is crap but otherwise I really like it.
Old 22 August 2006, 09:21 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Reliability and parts are not a problem. Lot of talk about HGF but just something you have to keep an eye on.
I've got a ZTT 120 and it is excellent inside & out. Plus the price to buy it put any other comparable estate in the shade + got a very good warranty.
Definitely not a run of the mill car plus they are now depreciating on a par with other cars having taken the big hit last year.
Old 22 August 2006, 10:14 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Thanks all (especially Lee - very useful!) - I think I've made my mind up!

Logbrog - what makes you think it's yours I'm talking about?
Old 22 August 2006, 10:21 PM
logbrog
Scooby Regular

Don't flatter yourself "diesel boy"

Enjoy your TAXI
Old 22 August 2006, 10:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I didnt think HGF was a problem on these ?
Old 24 August 2006, 09:04 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

My father has a ZT-T (the 160+ now) having owned a 190+ before. Both good cars and he tows a caravan and although he liked the 190 for the low down torque - the basic pulling away was a big help he says there is not that much difference at all between them. The actual max torque on both cars is very similiar so for towing it was fine, and the main thing is that the 190, when you took it over about 4,000 rpm, used to drink the fuel way more than the 160 does. He's happy he changed - sure the 190 sounded a lot nicer but all in all, he's happy with the 160, the fuel economy is way better even when towing and as the 190 was a 2002 model and the 160 is a 2005 model, the suspension etc is better.
Old 24 August 2006, 09:11 AM
Rabid
BANNED

Surely the problem with Rovers/MG's is that they are 'loser' cars? By that I mean drive one and everyone will assume you're a loser.

That said at 12K I'd take the V8 75 and risk being labelled like that without a second thought.
Old 24 August 2006, 10:25 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rabid
Surely the problem with Rovers/MG's is that they are 'loser' cars? By that I mean drive one and everyone will assume you're a loser.

That said at 12K I'd take the V8 75 and risk being labelled like that without a second thought.
Some of the Rovers, well the MGs, are very well sorted.

The guy who helped design the MG Zs also designed the scooby P1 and the Mac F1.

They also come with Poly bushed suspension, good engines and decent chasis.

Infact, the only lossers are the people who pay over the odds for other cars without looking at the Rover/MG.
Old 24 August 2006, 10:39 AM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by kammy
Some of the Rovers, well the MGs, are very well sorted.

The guy who helped design the MG Zs also designed the scooby P1 and the Mac F1.

They also come with Poly bushed suspension, good engines and decent chasis.

Infact, the only lossers are the people who pay over the odds for other cars without looking at the Rover/MG.
Nobody is disputing that some of the MGR's in particular are good to drive. I thought the ZS was great.

The problem is image, in the case of the MG's there is double the problem. Not only do they look like the product of a ram raid on Halford's tat department they also have the 'loser' image.
Old 24 August 2006, 12:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Best buy a 3 series diesel then, everyone will think you da man !

Anyway, whos the loser the bloke with a paid for MG ZT or the one with an image car like a Mini on finance ?
Old 24 August 2006, 12:53 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Best buy a 3 series diesel then, everyone will think you da man !

Anyway, whos the loser the bloke with a paid for MG ZT or the one with an image car like a Mini on finance ?
3 series diesel says nothing other than 'rep' they are basically invisible like the Mondeo.

Answer to your question. Neither. However the MG driver will look like a loser, the mini driver like a queer.
Old 24 August 2006, 01:05 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

What does a queer look like, Rabid? For a person who "strives" to fight the racism cause, you seem to be quite happy to slate homosexuals. Or do you see "looking like a queer" as a good thing?
Old 24 August 2006, 01:08 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Our primary car is a ZT 160 saloon and I can't praise it enough.
Superb handling, relaxing ride for long distance, big boot - only the engine lets it down (compared to my Scoob). Petorl consump is around 25 mpg.
As I eye it up for carrying out modifications, the more I find that most parts are ripped off various BMW models.

Nick
Old 24 August 2006, 01:24 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
What does a queer look like, Rabid? For a person who "strives" to fight the racism cause, you seem to be quite happy to slate homosexuals. Or do you see "looking like a queer" as a good thing?
Queer looking, looks like a queer, big ****** that sort of thing.

No slating of gayboys/fudgepackers going on here at all, those terms are meant as insults rather than a statement of sexuality.

In any case I wasn't saying I necessarily agreed with them, merely that it is the general perception.

A bit like surmising all Impreza owners are low rent, rally jacket wearing, meathead thugs with ugly beach blonde wives with fat stomachs and bald heads (both male and female). It simply isn't true (some of the time)
Old 24 August 2006, 01:34 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Wink

Queer looking, looks like a queer, big ****** that sort of thing.

No slating of gayboys/fudgepackers going on here at all, those terms are meant as insults rather than a statement of sexuality.

In any case I wasn't saying I necessarily agreed with them, merely that it is the general perception.

A bit like surmising all Impreza owners are low rent, rally jacket wearing, meathead thugs with ugly beach blonde wives with fat stomachs and bald heads (both male and female). It simply isn't true (some of the time)
Would a meat head, as in a round meat-based object also be classed as a ****** then? What is a beach blonde btw? Pammy Anderson?

No slating? I think not - afterall, you followed up the comment of being a loser with the queer comment. You need to re-read the rules of the Scoobynet Game
Old 24 August 2006, 02:10 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
Would a meat head, as in a round meat-based object also be classed as a ****** then? What is a beach blonde btw? Pammy Anderson?

No slating? I think not - afterall, you followed up the comment of being a loser with the queer comment. You need to re-read the rules of the Scoobynet Game
I wrote the rule book.

Anyway it's possible to be "a queer loser" without actually being a homosexual. Look at you for example, unless of course you're a homosexual as well?
Old 24 August 2006, 02:29 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Rabid, I think, unless you step back for a moment or two and lay off the needless insults for a while, you'll find yourself being RTM'd rather more often than the moderators would like, where would that leave you in your quest to stamp out racism on this BBS?
Old 24 August 2006, 02:45 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

I wrote the rule book.

Anyway it's possible to be "a queer loser" without actually being a homosexual. Look at you for example, unless of course you're a homosexual as well?
Badly ...

Are very illogical or just stupid?
Old 24 August 2006, 02:48 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Karl 227
Rabid, I think, unless you step back for a moment or two and lay off the needless insults for a while, you'll find yourself being RTM'd rather more often than the moderators would like, where would that leave you in your quest to stamp out racism on this BBS?
Quest? You haven't been doing your research have you?

What name next? I rather like 'Vapid' for all kinds of reasons.
Old 24 August 2006, 02:56 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I wrote the rule book.

A homosexual queer loser? Could be. Queer, definitely. I find you amusing at times, so that figures. Homosexual - don't think so - haven't seen a man I'm attracted to yet, but I've not met you yet, have I?

As for the rule book - it evolves and depends on one's intellect. For some it is a means to portray themselves as they'd like to behave in the real world, but are too cowardly to do so. For others it's a means to waste hours of time, doing pointless jokes and devising new ways to use smileys, and for some very "queer" folk, they like to discuss cars.

As for the ZT - great car. Would have the diesel one myself, as it is one of the most reliable cars around. Good looking, especially in black, can be obtained for very low prices these days, including a decent helping of kit. No worries for servicing - don't X-part advertise for them now? Can be chipped too - my brother's company car was running at 180bhp when he had it.
Old 24 August 2006, 04:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Perhaps some of us arent that worried about image so we drive what we like and can afford, my car isnt Gay at all, unless I am cruising round the cottages looking for a nice glory hole for some ******* !
Old 24 August 2006, 05:44 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

If i drive a losers car then what does that say about the cars i scalp, i toasted a bugeye sti the other night in my mg from the lights and not only did i beat him away he couldnt catch me up once rolling either.......who looked like a loser on that occasion then ?
Old 24 August 2006, 07:32 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by mg driver
who looked like a loser on that occasion then ?
You and the bugeye driver.
Old 24 August 2006, 09:52 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

so, you can honestly tell me you have never took part in a traffic light gp or had a bit of a dice on a d.c,yeah right and im the pope

Quick Reply: MG ZT-T