Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

The X5 has been rehashed

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2006, 07:15 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The X5 has been rehashed

It has seven seats, a standard BMW interior and the exterior is very similar to the old car except some details. Biggest engine is offcourse 4.8 ltr with 367 hp, 0-100 in 6.5 secs.

Quite ugly..., no doubt all those tossers will buy it, atleast its less pointless than the first one now that its actually got something the normal 5er hasnt (thats the 7 seats for you dumbarses, the 5er is still betetr in every other way though)

Old 08 August 2006, 07:42 PM
scoobynut555
Scooby Regular

The question is, is it as pointless as all your posts?
Old 08 August 2006, 08:53 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

What is it ?
Old 08 August 2006, 09:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the old one, a handsome beast ruined by a small percentage of its owners and ubiquity.
Old 08 August 2006, 09:18 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Like Audi effort is any better.
Old 08 August 2006, 09:22 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoRu
Like Audi effort is any better.
lol love the comment. The Q7 is also a POS so dont give me that.
Old 08 August 2006, 09:24 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

another pile of **** by the ever reliable **** builder known as BMW

Trending Topics

Old 08 August 2006, 09:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

There was a Q7 down here the other day, huge thing, I thought it looked nice for an SUV, smug fat middle aged **** driving it though, now he did look obnoxious.
Old 08 August 2006, 09:51 PM
Rabid
BANNED

X5's are awesome vehicles driven by wonderful people.
Old 08 August 2006, 09:59 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default feel the love

get off the fence audi man and tell everyone what you really think!
Old 09 August 2006, 09:27 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

brilliant.......could never have bought an X5 as i need more seats for the kids - now i can!

thats on my shopping list....not only is it the perfect car for me.....it will **** off all the idiots that dont like them
Old 09 August 2006, 09:30 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

X5's are great. Those who knock them without trying them, or believe in the whole negative SUV ethos are just deluding themselves. Some owners may be to$$ers, but why does that rile the narrow minded haters so much? There are just as many numpties driving any other make of car.

An X5 diesel is a fine all rounder and less pollutant than any WRX. It's also cheaper to service and run.

Matt
Old 09 August 2006, 09:31 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Looks like an X3
Old 09 August 2006, 09:39 AM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by MattOz
X5's are great. Those who knock them without trying them, or believe in the whole negative SUV ethos are just deluding themselves. Some owners may be to$$ers, but why does that rile the narrow minded haters so much? There are just as many numpties driving any other make of car.

An X5 diesel is a fine all rounder and less pollutant than any WRX. It's also cheaper to service and run.

Matt
The old X5 isn't great, it's abilities are largely pointless for the tossers that buy and own them. They'd be better of with a 5 touring which is a much better car.

Of course there are a minority who need the xdrive, the rest buy them purely on image, an image which says "useless w@nker' to most other people.
Old 09 August 2006, 09:40 AM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

Location: 11.23@127mph second drag vw beetle with a stock subaru legacy engine and a 50 shot of gas

Originally Posted by AudiLover
367 hp, 0-100 in 6.5 secs.
i wonder what time it does the qtr in??
Old 09 August 2006, 09:42 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

less pollutant than any WRX.Matt
Erm, wrong! it's slightly (7g/KM) less pollutant that a 2.5 STI but MORE pollutant than anything else
Old 09 August 2006, 09:43 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Transporting a fairground to you soon.
Old 09 August 2006, 09:48 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Stainy
Erm, wrong! it's slightly (7g/KM) less pollutant that a 2.5 STI but MORE pollutant than anything else
So at 231g/KM for the new EU4 compliant X5 3.0d, any other WRX is better? I don't think so. Happy to be proved totally wrong mind you. The old 3.0d was 229g/KM IIRC

Edited to add that the standard 2.0 Impreza is either 207 or 214 and the WRX is 244 g/km. So the new X5d is more pollutant?

Matt

Last edited by MattOz; 09 August 2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09 August 2006, 10:01 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Matt
Agreed 100%.

I think that new X5 looks the business. Will probably drive better than any other SUV as well.

Still, its quite amusing to see the vitriol spouted by the narrow minded few on here.

What amazes me most, however, is that unclebuck doesn't have an opinion on them
Old 09 August 2006, 10:09 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

This is good news. This means that the current model prices should fall, meaning next year they'll become even more affordable. Yes, I'm thinking of getting a fully loaded 3.0D.

I might just get one of those electronic message display units on the back window. "I'm only driving this as I know it annoys you".
Old 09 August 2006, 10:33 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Quite nice, slightly girlie looking. Might head off to the BMW dealership & find out some facts before i order my new all polluting RR Sport
Old 09 August 2006, 10:39 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Matt

I can knock them....a 5series is better in every way, faster, much better handling, better ride quality, cheaper (so you can add more toys) to buy, cheaper to run (tyres, brakes etc), better emissions tax, lower fuel consumption, better driving experience and feel, cheaper to insure....

The only thing the new one has over the 5series now, as said is 7 seats. Although it looks like a bit of a squeeze to get in there between the middle seat, unless the pic was taken without the middle seat properly folded.

Last edited by Shark Man; 09 August 2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09 August 2006, 10:47 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Never really liked them myself (yes I have driven one !) but at least the new model has a bit of boot space - the last one was pathetic ! I think even the X3 had more room in the back than the old X5
Old 09 August 2006, 10:59 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I can knock them....a 5series is better in every way, faster, much better handling, better ride quality, cheaper (so you can add more toys) to buy, cheaper to run (tyres, brakes etc), better emissions tax, lower fuel consumption, better driving experience and feel, cheaper to insure....

The only thing the new one has over the 5series now, as said is 7 seats. Although it looks like a bit of a squeeze to get in there between the middle seat, unless the pic was taken without the middle seat properly folded.
A 5 series is not better in every way, ok it's cheaper, you made that point clear. But so is an astra van.

Faster........depends which one you buy
Better ride quality.........no
better driving experience and feel..........no

so other than two things that are purley subjective....it's cheaper

Is it so hard to believe that a people opt for a vehicle on other things than cost...........the one thing I love about my X5 is the high ride height and the fact that this does not overly affect the handling, it still drives like a car.

Old 09 August 2006, 11:05 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hail-hail
A 5 series is not better in every way, ok it's cheaper, you made that point clear. But so is an astra van.

Is it so hard to believe that a people opt for a vehicle on other things than cost...........the one thing I love about my X5 is the high ride height and the fact that this does not overly affect the handling, it still drives like a car.

What?

You don't make sense. I'm Comparing like for like! The equivelant spec 5series...i.e same engine, same spec is cheaper, faster and drives and handles better.

The only issue with ride is if you go for sports suspension and run flats, and that would your own silly fault for not test dirving it. SE spec suspension without run flats is far better for ride.

If you think wallowing and rolling about on bends and making the kids sick is a better driving experience then I will stand corrected. The height IME does affect the handling and it rolls and wallows alot more than a 5 does.

Last edited by Shark Man; 09 August 2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09 August 2006, 11:30 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

What?

You don't make sense. I'm Comparing like for like! The equivelant spec 5series...i.e same engine, same spec is cheaper, faster and drives and handles better.

The only issue with ride is if you go for sports suspension and run flats, and that would your own silly fault for not test dirving it. SE spec suspension without run flats is far better for ride.

If you think wallowing and rolling about on bends and making the kids sick is a better driving experience then I will stand corrected. The height IME does affect the handling and it rolls and wallows alot more than a 5 does.
Dude,

You're missing the point. Buying cars is, for most people, a highly subjective process.

Whilst there may well be some crossover, those in the market for an X5 or an Mclass are unlikely to be interested in a 5 series touring or E class. The fact that you consider one is better than the other based upon what is important to you may be entirely different to what others want.

For many, the benefits of the higher driving position outweigh ride and handling, for example.

You state you are comparing like with like, but the point you (and others) seem to be missing is that they are two different vehicles with a different core market. As a result, your comparison is not a valid one.

An X5 is not an addition to the 5 series range that happens to be more expensive than the rest, its a model range in its own right.

Should you complain that a 7 is more expensive than a 5? Or that a 5 is more expensive than a 3?

99 of cars I see rarely have more than one or two people in them. Should, thereore, BMW simply stop selling anything other than the 1 series?
Old 09 August 2006, 11:36 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

But the X5 is just like a 5series stilts (well, almost idential with the old model - inside and outside ) And that's my point, beacuse of that, they are directly comparable. You get everything, and more, barring the height, a useless 4wd system and handling issues for less.

But obviously if your a woman and "have" to have a SUV for sakes of image, then all that logic is thrown out the window.

Hell, comparing against other SUVs, granted it's better than a Range Rover. But then if it was down to image, you would have bought a Range Rover, so why buy an X5 when the RR has the image? The logic is still flawed LMAO
Old 09 August 2006, 12:03 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

What?

ok, by the same rational then the equivelent spec 3 series would be cheaper again, so why not get one of those instead, maybe even a 1 series???

So it's cheaper and faster. so what??? It is different type of car, I like the ride height, I like the looks of the X5. It doesn't roll and wallow round corners. A 5 series may go round a corner better, but again, so what, I didn't buy it for its cornering ability.

Let's say that I agree with you for a minute, if I went to purcahse a car and the only things that I based my decision on was cost, speed and cornering then I would have bought the 5 series.

Let's keep it simple.....when I puchased the X5 I took into consideration the ride height and driving position. This is something that the 5 could not give me. Decision made.

You can tell me that the 5 is a better car till you are blue in the face, fact is it cannot offer me what I want from a car.

What do you drive btw?
Old 09 August 2006, 12:05 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

But the X5 is just like a 5series stilts (well, almost idential with the old model - inside and outside ) And that's my point, beacuse of that, they are directly comparable. You get everything, and more, barring the height, a useless 4wd system and handling issues for less.

But obviously if your a woman and "have" to have a SUV for sakes of image, then all that logic is thrown out the window.

Hell, comparing against other SUVs, granted it's better than a Range Rover. But then if it was down to image, you would have bought a Range Rover, so why buy an X5 when the RR has the image? The logic is still flawed LMAO

An X5 may be based on the 5 series, but for most people that point is irrelevant. I don't expect you to understand that - and thinking its all about "image" just confirms that.

For most people, one is a saloon, and one is an SUV. I would go back to the 3/5/7 comparison. Same engines, similar interior design, much of the kit is identical. Different bodyshells, different prices, different market.

And if you think that an X5 and a 5 series are almost identical externally, then I suggest you pop down to specsavers. Sure they are similar, its called brand identity but hardly almost identical.

Peronally, I'd buy an X5 over a Range Rover for a number of reasons, including (in no particlar order) looks, price, driving dynamics, reliability (BMW is streets ahead of RR) and economy (X5's are thirsty, but RR's are diabolical...)

I wouldn't worry, though, I doubt BWM are too concerned that you consider their X5 to be a waste of money . They will be quite content that they will fly out of the showrooms because most people will buy them for any number of perfectly valid reasons regardless of the opinions of a few overly vocal contributors to this board

Last edited by Diablo; 09 August 2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09 August 2006, 12:17 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hail-hail

Are you ******* stupid.

1. Fster? Obviousl fcukingly yes, get the same engine and stick it in the cars and obviously the 5er will be faster. So yes the 5er is the faster car

2. Better ride quality, it depends on what model you buy, and the tires fitted, but the 5er is overall more comfortable, with less road and tyre noise.

3. Ofcourse it has a better driving feel and experience, my little 7yr old cousin would know that just by pointing out the X5 has a much higher centre of gravity

4. Yes the X5 drives like a car, a crappier drive of the 5er at that. But becausde its quite good on teh road for SUV (which I openly admit) makes it so fcukin ****e at offroading. You CANNOT offroad the X5, unless you make some serious modifications. Go to a scandinavian country and they will laugh at you and your X5 in the snow seasons because its 4wd is so ****in ****e. Its a grass and gravel SUV, and you would be better off with a haldex awd car.

Boy some of you are riding BMW's dick hard on this

Let's keep it simple.....when I puchased the X5 I took into consideration the ride height and driving position. This is something that the 5 could not give me.
Ahhh so now it become clear. Your just not confident enough, or competent enough with your driving skills hence requiring a ltaller ride height. Im not sure if you belong on the roads realy.

Last edited by AudiLover; 09 August 2006 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: The X5 has been rehashed