VW Beetle 1.8t / 2.3 v5 - Mini 1.6 One/Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2006, 11:55 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation VW Beetle 1.8t / 2.3 v5 - Mini 1.6 One/Cooper

Folks,

I need some help on the above motors if I can.

My other half has changed her mind in what car she now wants (you will read from previous threads ) and is now interested in a "cute,girly looking car".

Now the trouble is I know nothing on the techincal side of them at all (Ie service intervals,common faults,things to look for upon viewing) .

Can someone please,please point me in the right direction of a website that states intervals for service etc? Or if anyone has had one of the cars so I can get some idea of costs?.

I beg you all to help a poor soul as I am now unable to sleep due to bleeding ears.

Thanks
Steve
Old 24 June 2006, 01:49 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

www.parkers.co.uk has all the info on the cars you list. Just go to car review and they have about 7 pages of info on each model.
My wife had a Mini and a beetle and although the mini was by far the better car she preferred the beetle. Must admit I did too. Something about crapping yourself in the Mini on the road when a truck drives past and you realise the tyres are bigger than your car
Old 24 June 2006, 01:51 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say as mentioned before you can get a Mini (used/new) with the TLC package that gives you free servicing for 3 years.
Old 26 June 2006, 01:26 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Alas. Sorry for the late reply, I have been in the shed all this time trying to get away from the moaning.

We went to a VW garage saturday (when I came out of the shed) and I sat in a New Beetle for the first time. I was supprised as I liked it. It was a tad cramped in the back seats but not many people will be in the car at once. The drivers postion was better for her but I still think it will take her some time to get used to the distance behind the car etc if she goes for a Beetle.

I think it is leaning more towards the Beetle in the 1.8t version. We are jsut waiting to see when the dealer can get hold of one for her to try out.

We drove a mini a couple of months back whilst on our way back from shopping. I agree the TLC pack is a worth while package .

She also has stated saturday that she likes the look of the sporty C2 (think is a vtr or vts) ?

I will wait and see what she says in the nxet week or so as she is bound to change her mind again.

Cheers again

Steve (Man in a shed)
Old 27 June 2006, 12:25 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

cooper s !!!!
Old 27 June 2006, 12:27 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

whine of that super charger is lovely and also it looks cute! nice sound and speed and nice looks best of both and they really hold there residual dont they?
Old 27 June 2006, 05:02 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cong
whine of that super charger is lovely and also it looks cute! nice sound and speed and nice looks best of both and they really hold there residual dont they?
Would worry about that as the new one is coming out.
Old 29 June 2006, 05:24 PM
tylerama
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx

Now the trouble is I know nothing on the techincal side of them at all (Ie service intervals,common faults,things to look for upon viewing) .
The 1.8T has a few common probs to look out for across the vag range.

Coilpacks are the most famous and common. Will just be a lumpy misfire and car will feel like a snail. the dealers should change these for free as they were a recall years ago.
MAF sensor is next up. Pretty much the same symptom wise.

DV's often go (they later replaced them with a more reliable version) - just listen for the fluttering when changing cogs.

Coolant Temperature Sensor - Temp needle will wave about like a frickin' majorette's wand ! and idle will be lumpy too. Easily changed diy tho. £22 ish part new from a stealership.

Rocker cover gasket sometimes weeps too.. easily sorted by just retorquing the bolts on top.

I should imagine the new beetle uses the same window regulator clips as the golf/bora if the vw parts bin is anything to go by.. so watch out for creaking leccy windows.. they are notorious for window drops.. usually at midnight in the rain

Not sure what engine the first 1.8t bugs had in em tho.. the earliest 1.8T was a cable throttle 'agu' code. Slightly less easily mapped (if your even contemplating modding which I doubt you are.. ), but better for bigger turbo (ihi, garrett etc) cos of larger ported head.

The newer 1.8T's are drive by wire throttle, (AUQ coded) but generally higher standard power and more options to map.

Hope that helps if ya haven't already made ya decision.
Old 01 July 2006, 12:56 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks tylerama,

Great bit of info there.That has helped me as it goes. Thanks again.

We are viewing three cars tomorrow.

1.8t VW Beetle
1.6 Mini Cooper
1.7i Ford Puma Racing.

I know she likes the Beetle but I don't know when she will use the Turbo? Seems daft and maybe a n/a model will be suited?

The Mini, We have seen a right peech and speaking with the salesman was very good in feed back of this car. (Looks more like this one). But something is telling me to stall and wait until new model is out? When is that?

The Ford Puma Racing version is a car I was after some 4 years back but opted to get another car. Again the feed back from salesman seem good but is there anything on these I should look out for other than the odd Ford rattle? What service do these need?

Question question.........forgive me . I just want a peaceful life.

Cheers in advance
Steve