Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Sapphire cossie 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2006, 12:43 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sapphire cossie 4wd?

Hi, looking at these as ive liked them for years, most have 100k plus on now though, what are the main things to look for apart from the usual stuff, any comment faults??

cheers
Old 20 June 2006, 12:53 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

www.passionford.com
Old 20 June 2006, 12:56 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Daniel-S
Hello AW..............
Old 20 June 2006, 01:23 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Having read about these years ago i'm pretty sure they wont withstand the state of tune that the 2WD can handle - i think they are limited to 350bhp max as the driveshafts are a weak point (correct me if i'm wrong)
Old 20 June 2006, 01:47 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

cheers, keep em coming?
Old 20 June 2006, 06:43 PM
big_wig
Scooby Regular

stg 3 tune (300-330 bhp realistically) is about as far as you can go on the standard transmission,which still makes it a fast car. brakes are not as good as the 2wd version either. look more at the overall condition and the owner than how many miles are on the clock,cars are killed by crap maintenance not miles. see how often the oil is changed(i used to change it every 3-5000 miles with either castrol rs 10w60 or mobil1 15w50 NOT the 0w40 stuff!!!) the looms on a lot of them are starting to deteriorate,causing all manner of problems. check the block has 200 written on it,not 205 otherwise someones put a thinner walled block in there from a 2wd version. ask to hear it start from cold,get the engine bay open before its started and check it is cold,it shouldnt be too noisy although tappets are pretty normal and not much to worry about,dont listen to stories about piston slap,the 4wd version has offset gudgeon pins to cancel out the problems found on the 2wd cars. they can use a bit of oil trough the breathers,but it depends from car to car. make sure the vin numbers match (engine bay and a plastic flap inside the drivers door by the seat IIRC) er...theres probably a bit more like check panel gaps etc...and do HPI but thats common sense really
Old 20 June 2006, 06:45 PM
big_wig
Scooby Regular

oh,and the driveshaft thing you mentioned,theres always one side that pops out on hard launches etc on bigger powered cars (ie always one side,not always pops out!lol) a hint for that is to find an xr4i one,its a couple of mm longer

Trending Topics

Old 20 June 2006, 09:05 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm there are probably more dogs than good cars left now.
lots of them have been thrashed to death, stolen recovered or"modified"
good cars do occasionaly come up -although dont expect them to handle or steer like later scoobs or evos-(just have to catch em on the straights eh
). a straight one sensibly tuned is a very nice road car though.
Old 21 June 2006, 09:47 AM
big_wig
Scooby Regular

but....its a cossie and designed to be driven hard like any scooby or evo! so dont be put off it the owner drives it hard,thats what they are for IMO!
Old 22 June 2006, 06:08 PM
penfold118
Scooby Regular

I was up at www.jct28.co.uk They had a couple of really nice examples up there
Old 22 June 2006, 09:32 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

they look like a sierra thats the problem! Seriously I had a 2wd one back in 98 and it was a nice car but after getting blown into the dust by an M reg WRX at the time I quickly sold it for an STI, that said mine was standard and standard they are sluggish, alright once upto speed, I bought it off my mate he did 150 in it 4 up along the M1 (I was in the car), errr I mean I private road.
Old 23 June 2006, 09:39 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

They are more capable than you think. My friend had a self tuned (he's a spannerman so he knows his ****) Magenta Saff a few years back.
Managed a 12.6 sec standing quarter at Santapod whilst beating a TVR Tuscan.
More than enough for most
astraboy.
Old 25 June 2006, 10:04 AM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

A mate of mines on about selling his in a few months time coz he`s hardly using it, pretty much std and in good condition-no rust at all if i remember right (bin about 3mths since ive seen it) and only uses it to get to work now, think he`ll want good money for it though as like said above good ones are quite rare at decent prices.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...006jayscoz.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/PICT0009.jpg
Old 25 June 2006, 11:03 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

My mum got a grand new one back in February 1991, just as I was 20 and getting in to the whole Ford scene (I ended up running the Ford RS owners club in Central Scotland in most of the mid-nineties, and helping out on a few National Days). It was obviously quite impressive back then, but a year later I won a competition in Performance Ford to get a chip fitted at Collins Performance Engineering.
The drive back up the road was a real revelation. The increase in torque was far more impressive than the horsepower, with the in-gear times tumling down(any Ford books always stated that all Ford turbocharged cars were massively detuned to appease warranty and insurance reps).
The car then stayed with my mum for the next 11 years, and small various mods were added as bits required replacement(Power Engineering exhaust, uprated discs and pads, etc), but the car started lying around more and more when my mum got to a Ford Maverick as well as the cossie, so was sold to a 21 year old in my dad's garage who did a whole pile of work to it, but unfortunately he traded it 2 years ago with a grand for a 3 door Cossie (a big mistake IMO), and it has never been seen since, although reports were heard that it was split for spares since everyting was in such good condition .
If you can find a good straight one, I would advise buying it, applying some sensible mods and enjoying it. They are very subtle and have massive cross country pace.
Craig
Old 25 June 2006, 12:33 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Yeah for the price not even an Impreza can beat it for £ for £
Old 30 June 2006, 05:25 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

what do the different colour blocks represent??