Front wheel drive and tyre rotation

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2006, 07:42 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel drive and tyre rotation

Hi All,

If you get a new set of tyres is the general consensus that the better treaded tyres should go on the front on the rear?

My brother has just had two new ones fitted, there is now lower tread on the rear versus new tread on the front. When he was driving round a bend last night he lost control (back end spun out) mounted a kerb and bent his rear axel.

Comments appreciated.
Old 13 May 2006, 07:57 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

I found out the hard way, well the embarrassing way. Put the best tyres on the rear or you'll oversteer out of the first roundabout you come to.

Which is exactly what I did when I put some new P6000s on the front and wanted to see how well they gripped on the first roundabout I came to

Suffice to say they went staight on the back after that
Old 13 May 2006, 08:21 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

When he was driving round a bend last night he lost control (back end spun out) mounted a kerb and bent his rear axel.
Nothing to do with tyres. Driver error is to blame.
Old 13 May 2006, 08:44 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

Default Quoted officially.........

As per this website: http://www.motorinsurance.co.uk/news/1067.html

Motor Insurance News - 06th January, 2006

Motor insurance firms warn on tyre rotation

Motor insurance companies have warned that the popular habit of installing new tyres to the front wheels rather than the back could be potentially disastrous.

Michelin has also said that using new tyres on the front of a vehicle and part worn at the back produces greater amounts of oversteer, and an increased chance that drivers will lose control.

Part-worn tyres are also more prone to punctures, Stephen Dolby of Michelin told Fleet NewsNet, and that this was more dangerous at the rear as the back of the car was more likely to swing out.

The same is true of emergency braking, said motor insurance companies.
Old 13 May 2006, 08:55 PM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

the advice/warnings to put new tyres on the rear is to protect joe public in general who don't have a clue about car control. In their eyes nice safe understeer is preferable to oversteer.

IMHO in a FWD car it is preferable to have the better tyres on the front cos the front wheels do the majority of the work....
Old 13 May 2006, 09:54 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

^^ What he said. Dont really matter too much with quattro neither, RWD is a bit of a problem for joe bloggs.
Old 13 May 2006, 10:27 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/auto/au...b_pqr_neuf.jsp

Trending Topics

Old 14 May 2006, 12:28 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Whether on the front or rear, new tyres need srubbing in. If I were fitting new tyres to my GFs Fiesta, they'd go on the rear. If it was my front wheel drive car, they'd go on the front. Finally, If I was running a tyrefitters I'd insist on them going on the rear in-line with current directives.
Old 14 May 2006, 12:01 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

Put the best tyres on the back.
Old 14 May 2006, 12:21 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

I assume FWD car?

Tell him not to buy a twitchy RWD car anytime soon, his skills need polishing up a bit

I've always kept the best tyres on the front of my FWD cars, on the RWD car I owned I had the best tyres stayed on the back. Simple really you want grip when putting power down.

Testing how well your new front tyres grip on a FWD car may result in the backend skipping out, if you don't know what to do when this happens then don't try it

Happened to me once or twice, I had a mondeo with some horrendously bad rear tyres
Old 14 May 2006, 06:09 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Deeper tread on the rear is of great help in the wet on any car. You will never get oversteer generated from low tread on the front...

However it is summer and those fronts should scrub in quickly, but I would not advise more than 4mm difference between rear and front.
Old 15 May 2006, 05:24 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big Col
IMHO in a FWD car it is preferable to have the better tyres on the front cos the front wheels do the majority of the work....
I used to throw my car round the corners and with the better tyres on the rear it'd just understeer and just could control it on the throttle. With the better tyres in the front, the back end went so quick there was no catching it. (I tried steering into it as soon as it went, but it just kept going)