Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Electronic Boost controllers for vag 1.8t cars??help!

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2006, 11:53 AM
mmuuzzzzyy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Boost controllers for vag 1.8t cars??help!

Their is bugger all info out there on the vag forums as regards boost controllers.

Most if not all members on vag forums suggest a remap and do nothing but slate boost controllers.... with nearly all of them never even having tried one.

Every thread ive read with people rubbishing boost controllers have either been from someone who has alraedy got a remap, or the companys that sell the remaps. Sees like their is a sheep mentality on many of the forums to me. (once one person does a mod everyone does it and everything else is cra*!)

A remap will only gain me an extra 20bhp but cost an extra £200/£300, and once i sell the car i cant take the remap off and sell it (unlike a boost controller) + its not adjustable on the fly like a boost controller.

so if any of you know of a decent electronic boost controller for my golf 1.8t could you let me know.

what are you opinions on electronic boost controllers in general?

Last edited by mmuuzzzzyy; 12 April 2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12 April 2006, 12:01 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mmuuzzzzyy
Their is bugger all info out there on the vag forums as regards boost controllers.

Most if not all members on vag forums suggest a remap and do nothing but slate boost controllers.... with nearly all of them never even having tried one.

Every thread ive read with people rubbishing boost controllers have either been from someone who has alraedy got a remap, or the companys that sell the remaps. Sees like their is a sheep mentality on many of the forums to me. (once one person does a mod everyone does it and everything else is cra*!)

A remap will only gain me an extra 20bhp but cost an extra £200/£300, and once i sell the car i cant take the remap off and sell it (unlike a boost controller) + its not adjustable on the fly like a boost controller.

so if any of you know of a decent electronic boost controller for my golf 1.8t could you let me know.

what are you opinions on electronic boost controllers in general?
I have the HKS EVC5 on my STi and think its a great piece of kit . On cold days i can turn it down slightly to stop it overboosting and hitting the cut out point, as well as hitting the SBC button for a set period of time between4 and45secs of overboost . Two settings allow for playtime setting and cruiser setting (doesn't see this too oftern ).

Will you be just fitting a boostcontrol, as you will need a remap as well to ensure sufficient fueling for the extra boost
Old 12 April 2006, 12:49 PM
mmuuzzzzyy
Scooby Regular

the 1.8t vag engine will sort out fueling and timing up untill 14.5 psi, at which point the car hits limp mode.

So just running a boost controller and winding the boost up from 6psi to 14psi wont cause any probs as the fuel/timing map is already there on a bog standard 1.8t.

All the remaps for the vag cars do is raise the limp mode limit to 20psi and include fuel/timing maps @ 14psi+. Most remaps hold between 16/17 psi and spike @19psi

beyond 14psi on a standard 1.8t (kkk03) turbo charger and you start to see the turbo becoming less and less efficient.

Thats why i see a remap on a vag as pointless.... unless your going big turbo

Any ideas where i can find out what electronic boost controllers are compatatible??
or will most of apexi,hks,blitz etc be compatible with any turbo car?
Old 12 April 2006, 01:10 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Does it have to be an electronic one? On my old Volvo T4 I had a bleed t-piece on the wastegate actuator line, sharpened up throttle response and pick-up very nicely with no limp / check engine lights.

I know other T4 owners used Dawes devices with good success too. The Volvo set-up was different tho', there was no boost pressure sensor as such, the boost and fuelling was all determined by measuring EGTs and comparing with an ideal map.
Old 12 April 2006, 01:43 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mmuuzzzzyy

Any ideas where i can find out what electronic boost controllers are compatatible??
or will most of apexi,hks,blitz etc be compatible with any turbo car?
I cant see there being a problem with compatability, your best bet is to contact the supplies and bleed their knowledge dry
Old 12 April 2006, 01:43 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Now im not sure if id recommend a boost controller but at the end of the day its your machine

Check out some of the TT and Golf GTI forums. Your best bet would probably be a german GTi forum, so lets hope you have some german friends! Alternatively look up some tuners and ask them. HPA motorsports comes to mind.
Old 12 April 2006, 04:10 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Check out Briskoda.net they may be able to help...or Jabbasport website?

Trending Topics

Old 12 April 2006, 06:20 PM
EP82
Scooby Regular

How about Revo and SPS3 you can adjust Boost and Timing with the SPS3. It also acts as an immobiliser iirc
Old 14 April 2006, 09:12 AM
paulcupra r
Scooby Newbie

jabba do a boost controler to go with there remap you can adjust on the move turn it down to normal and take it off if it has to go to the garage takes about 2 mins