Evo6 VS STI type UK ppp

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2006, 09:44 PM
~DrEaM~
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo6 VS STI type UK ppp

hi everyone

can anyone tell me the difference between them?? the + or - about the evo?? preformance between them? as i am thinking of buying a Evo6 but dont want to regret...

many thanks
kevin
Old 08 March 2006, 09:58 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

evos faster and it holds value better I think.
Old 08 March 2006, 10:08 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

The major plus is that you can run decent reliable power. The performance is a lot smoother than the Impreza though, better at the top of the revs but generally have a more confidence inspiring engine. Standard they are pretty lame but a genuine 350bhp is very easy to get to.

I think you may find the handling a slight negative. The evo's do handle better but when you get on uneven road the Impreza is a better car IMO, they seem to soak up the bumps and stay planted better. The evo is great when it's smooth but feels more fragile in the handling department if that makes sense.
Old 08 March 2006, 10:11 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

There is an excellent Evo buyers guide available on lancer-evo.net here:

http://www.lancer-evo.net/community/...t=buyers+guide

that should tell you all you need to know. I think the main thing to be aware of is the running costs and service intervals. Other than that the handling is more neutral in the Evo, the STI gives much more understeer. Subjectively I would say the Evo feels more punchy - though some say this is due to shorter gearing?? I'm not going to get into which is better or quicker I think that has been done on here many times...

Which one do you like more? Which one is going to make you feel like getting up at 6am on a Sunday for a quick blast? Which one are you going to enjoy polishing and admiring? - All things I would consider along with cost and performance.
Old 09 March 2006, 12:33 AM
~DrEaM~
Scooby Regular

which is more reliable then??
Old 09 March 2006, 09:20 AM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Just had a look at some of your other posts - clearly you already know plenty about the Scoob! I wouldn't say there is any difference in reliability - just that the Evo might cost more to maintain to the level you like to keep your cars.

What is that specifically makes you want the Evo - I think that will help you answer your question. I know I am regularly tempted to switch to the darkside, there is a level of punch and directness in the Evo that does it for me. Though in the end the silly service intervals, running costs and my stronger link to the Subaru brand McRae, Burns et al balance things out!
Old 09 March 2006, 10:09 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Evo generally considered to be more intense - more demanding but more rewarding. Scoob a more day-to-day car for most people.
Old 09 March 2006, 11:04 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
evos faster and it holds value better I think.

LMAO, have you seen the prices on the MLR!!! May be true for the 6 when it was new but certainly not now the 7/8/9 prices are dropping fast. The Evo 260 put paid to that.

Matt
ex Evo FQ330 owner

Last edited by MattW; 09 March 2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09 March 2006, 01:56 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
LMAO, have you seen the prices on the MLR!!! May be true for the 6 when it was new but certainly not now the 7/8/9 prices are dropping fast. The Evo 260 put paid to that.

Matt
ex Evo FQ330 owner
Yeah I was talking specifically about the 6. The newer ones are very bad with depreciationa nd there are so many around I dont see why anyone in their right mind would buy new.
Old 09 March 2006, 05:27 PM
paulcupra r
Scooby Newbie

ok so the service intervals are 4500 and theres petrol to buy but what else is to be expected ?
Old 09 March 2006, 05:28 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Thats about it.
Old 09 March 2006, 06:20 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

my boss had an evo 6 when they first came out, was warned by Rally Art not to do many 'launches' which he ignored, ended up paying for a new ~£700 clutch after a few thousand miles... prob not the norm i guess though...
Old 10 March 2006, 09:23 AM
ESH
Scooby Regular

If you're seriously looking at an Evo ensure the AYC has been serviced. New brakes as they can be pricey. Don't be too worried about brake squeal its quite common.
In my opinion the Evo is much more reliable than a subaru. Remember its just my opinion!!

I've owned two Subaru's as I like its character but have had serious problms with both. Maybe its the service intervals on the Evo that may pick up issues and sort them out before they become expensive. Didn't have one problem with the Evo.
Old 10 March 2006, 09:43 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wez_sti
my boss had an evo 6 when they first came out, was warned by Rally Art not to do many 'launches' which he ignored, ended up paying for a new ~£700 clutch after a few thousand miles... prob not the norm i guess though...
Yup, clutches and brakes are not covered by the warranty either.