Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone gone from Scooby to Civic Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2006, 08:57 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone gone from Scooby to Civic Type R?

Currently running 2 cars and thinking about chopping them in for one... Civic type R. Just wondered if anyone has had one and got some views?

Cheers
G.
Old 06 March 2006, 09:11 AM
SineSTI
Scooby Regular

I sold CTR few days ago. I was very satisfied. Car is good quality, newer had problems. Fuel consumption very low compared to my new STI. If you need more informations just ask.
Old 06 March 2006, 09:48 AM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrahamG
Currently running 2 cars and thinking about chopping them in for one... Civic type R. Just wondered if anyone has had one and got some views?

Cheers
G.

I did - CTR's are a crock of doo doo

Horrible steering feel + also the steering usually jams doing low speed manouvers

Rock hard ride..

They are slow on the road unless you are going flat out.. gutless out of the vtec zone..

They are better on the track..
Old 06 March 2006, 10:24 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SineSTI
I sold CTR few days ago. I was very satisfied. Car is good quality, newer had problems. Fuel consumption very low compared to my new STI. If you need more informations just ask.
whats the fuel like on the Motorway. I do around 50 miles a day to and from work. never going over 65.... A3/M25 traffic! would i be getting good miles from that? Can't be worse then the scoob.. lol

G.
Old 06 March 2006, 10:40 AM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

whats the fuel like on the Motorway. I do around 50 miles a day to and from work. never going over 65.... A3/M25 traffic! would i be getting good miles from that? Can't be worse then the scoob.. lol

G.

Million times better on MPG than a scoob. Don't forget, the whole popint of the vtec was economy over performance
Old 06 March 2006, 11:09 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

I have one and I love it. Best all round car I've owned.

Once on the move, it seems as quick as my classic Scooby. It's very well built, nice interior etc. decent insurance, cheap servicing. I do 40 miles a day to and from work - half and half with motorway, then A roads. Normally stick to 70 on the motorway and then press on a bit on the A roads. I'm getting 32 mpg on average.

It does have a very hard ride though, and can get quite unsettled on uneven back roads.

Take one for a test drive though mate.
Old 06 March 2006, 11:11 AM
John57
Scooby Regular

I had a CTR for 18 months before my MY05 WRX ...... I loved it but hated the steering.... Dead or what - and slow to use with a very poor turning circle. Turn the wheel too fast and it kind of seizes until you learn to do it slower ! Oh, and wheelspin in anything other than bone dry conditions. OK in summer but bad in winter - thus my change to 4WD!

I didn't find the suspension too bad though it is hard. The handling though as a result is stunning and I felt better when thrashed than my WRX which is soft by comparison.

Fuel consumption in the CTR is miles better - I got usually 28-30mpg for normal driving whereas the wife got towards 35mpg on a run.

The engine is great - smooth as anything low down and a real screamer with great acceleration between 6-8K. I never found it flat or lacking below 6K and it is more tractable at low revs than my standard WRX was. The WRX has nothing at all off boost whereas the CTR does actually move quite well. Mine was well run in and loose at 19K which helps these engines. I always found it felt quicker than my other car; an S2000 at all revs - the S2000 just revs higher and was in reality quicker. The gearbox is a delight as well - and though the gear lever seems in an odd position at first it is just where you need it and I have not known anyone dislike where they have put it.

Performance wise is similar to a std WRX to 100 with the CTR being slightly slower to 60 but quicker than the WRX after that. It feels quick which is what - to me - mattered. I was not in the business of trying it on with other cars but having driven many quick cars it ticked the boxes for me in this area....

I found the WRX a more complete car than the CTR but not as exciting - thus I PPP'd the WRX which moved the goalposts slightly.....

The CTR is a good roomy car that IMO looks great - especially compared to the std Civic models! It is a car you can just get in and use easily.

I think I am perhaps being a bit unfair comparing the handling of my WRX to the CTR - perhaps comparing it to the STi for handling would be nearer the mark.

We never had any faults or rattles at all in our 18 months of ownership - and that went for the S2000 as well. The build quality is similar to Subaru but with very slightly better plastics and interior.

I like Honda's and do miss it ..... I just wanted more toys, 4WD and the ability to chip the engine easily; which I have done. Overall for me it was more involving than the WRX but not as complete a package.

Try one and see if you like it - some people absolutely hate it as is shown by the replies to your post but others - like me - loved it.

Last edited by John57; 06 March 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06 March 2006, 12:26 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

I am sure this is what i want to get. I wanted one a long time about, went for the impreza. its a great car, i just don't want to run 2 cars.

Hopefully going to view a couple at the weekend.

just need to sell the scoob and 106 now.
cheers for all the replies.

G.
Old 06 March 2006, 02:03 PM
Spankathon
Scooby Regular

What about a LCR (now hiding)....?
Old 07 March 2006, 05:49 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

As mentioned before, steering let this car down for me, VERY poor turning circle, most three point turns can turn into 5

gearbox is stunning.

Traction is poor in wet, but what can you expect from 200 horses and front drive.

I didnt like the brakes, not saying they are not good just didnt like them.

Styling IMHO is spot on.

Very roomy inside

Soundtrack was awsome on mine, had full magnex cat back

Standard rims look very nice so no need to change.

Interior was lovely, inc' inst dials

Saying all the above, i chopped it in my my 02WRX and have never regretted it for one moment. Once moving the ctr was a match for the wrx (in standard form) once decatted no chance.

Handbrake was ****e in mine, not sure if it was just my one of normal, but it just would not lock the back wheels. Was checked by Honda who said it was fine. But it would just pull right to the last click and nothing really.

get the 04 onward model, has better interior and folding mirrors with indicators on them, and a couple more horses i think

One very important bit of advice, GET ONE WITH AIR CON...!!!!!

they get very hot when sat in the sun and they are a bugger to sell without it.

Hope this helps a little

Cookie
Old 07 March 2006, 08:18 AM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

I loved it but hated the steering....
We've tried one twice - when they came out in 2001 and again in 2003 when I heard they'd sorted the steering - they hadn't. Couldn't live with it and my Wife bought a new WRX 5Dr. No regrets.

Cheers
Old 07 March 2006, 09:26 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
As mentioned before, steering let this car down for me, VERY poor turning circle, most three point turns can turn into 5

gearbox is stunning.

Traction is poor in wet, but what can you expect from 200 horses and front drive.

I didnt like the brakes, not saying they are not good just didnt like them.

Styling IMHO is spot on.

Very roomy inside

Soundtrack was awsome on mine, had full magnex cat back

Standard rims look very nice so no need to change.

Interior was lovely, inc' inst dials

Saying all the above, i chopped it in my my 02WRX and have never regretted it for one moment. Once moving the ctr was a match for the wrx (in standard form) once decatted no chance.

Handbrake was ****e in mine, not sure if it was just my one of normal, but it just would not lock the back wheels. Was checked by Honda who said it was fine. But it would just pull right to the last click and nothing really.

get the 04 onward model, has better interior and folding mirrors with indicators on them, and a couple more horses i think

One very important bit of advice, GET ONE WITH AIR CON...!!!!!

they get very hot when sat in the sun and they are a bugger to sell without it.

Hope this helps a little

Cookie
Cheers for the advice.

Def want AC and folding mirrors. trying to find the best high spec low milage one i can. around 03/04
Old 07 March 2006, 10:47 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice.

Def want AC and folding mirrors. trying to find the best high spec low milage one i can. around 03/04

then you will want the 04 onward, thats when they revised a lot of the features

I had 53 plate, and it was the "old" one