Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Hyundai Coupe - Any good???

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2006, 03:04 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyundai Coupe - Any good???

The Mrs wants a new car in the next month or so and we've been looking at different stuff this past few weeks.

Car has to be sporty looking, reliable, about £9k, newer than a 2002 and doesnt have to cater for handling/performance.

So I showed her a Hyundai Coupe yesterday and she likes them.

I think they look great, spec/price is superb, insurance is cheap and they seem to get good reviews.

Anyone owned one/driven one? Anything we need to look out for on them?
Old 27 February 2006, 03:36 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

they are a v good car. My mrs sister has one with full leather interior, absolutely stunning (the car not the sister in law) hers is a 2001 model and upto now shows no signs of any corrosion etc and touch wood has been mechanically sound (was a big dent where she drove into a concrete post though).
Doesnt really help you I know but dont think you can go far wrong with them.
Old 27 February 2006, 04:21 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Seem well rated mate - Evo have one on their staff fleet...........
Old 27 February 2006, 06:36 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

A mates wife had one used every day for a long commute for 3 years. Was so good to them she wanted another one.
They ended up going for the new Civic 2.2TD but not because the Coupe was a bad car.
Old 27 February 2006, 08:46 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Im a real bad badge snob and would never have considered a hyundai but recently went out in my mates and i was quite impressed really.Does everything it says on the tin,seems to be reliable,looks sporty enough,all leather interior.Not an otu and out sports car but still fairly nippy.Im a convert,go for it.
Old 27 February 2006, 11:02 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Been researching them tonight, and they seem unbeatable value for what you get, plus the reliability etc etc.

Its mainly for the mrs to get to work and for us to go out at the weekend, so performance/handling aren't too important (I have the 205 for that).
Old 27 February 2006, 11:34 PM
MAC76
Scooby Regular

I think the only thing you can fault them on is the quality of the trim and how it wears quite quickly.
For the money i dont think you can get better tho
Old 28 February 2006, 08:14 AM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

My Wife had an old model when she worked in the Middle East. When she saw the new shape, she wanted one! However, I found it lacked headroom, thought the interior was poorly finished and it was boring to drive. I can see why it's liked by many however - looks great! I want more than that however.

My Wife bought a blobeye WRX 5Dr, and loved every second of ownership.

Cheers
Old 28 February 2006, 08:50 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately my mrs has no interest in the driving aspect at all - already tried to suggest a Focus ST, new WRX/STi, Astra VXR, Integra Type R and more but she wont have it.
Old 28 February 2006, 09:48 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

My sister has one and loves it. I've owned a Hyundai before and they are very reliable. I think they are the only cars with a 5 year warranty? Warranty is excellent as well, the central locking played up a few times on mine and dealer immediately replaced the lot with no questions asked. They've come a long way in the last 5 years.
Old 04 March 2006, 10:21 AM
MarkGArgyle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
The Mrs wants a new car in the next month or so and we've been looking at different stuff this past few weeks.

Car has to be sporty looking, reliable, about £9k, newer than a 2002 and doesnt have to cater for handling/performance.

So I showed her a Hyundai Coupe yesterday and she likes them.

I think they look great, spec/price is superb, insurance is cheap and they seem to get good reviews.

Anyone owned one/driven one? Anything we need to look out for on them?
I have had mine since 9 months old and really like it. As you say, performance is adequate but the kit is superb with leather, cruise etc. I am really surprised that i still get comments even when it is 3.5yrs old!

FYI If you buy one on a 2002 52 or newer you get the balance of the hyundai 5-year warranty (the 02 plate only had 3 years).

By chance, what you are looking for just about fits the description of mine - 2002 (52) up for £8k. See my post in General for sale!

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=hyundai+coupe

Last edited by MarkGArgyle; 04 March 2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04 March 2006, 11:18 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Painfully slow! But as you dont want all out performance shouldnt be a problem!
Old 04 March 2006, 09:48 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
The old 2.0 did 0-60 in 8.6 with a top speed of 125mph, the new model is a fraction slower to 60 but a bit quicker at the top end.

That puts it in the warm to hot hatch sector and faster than the normal family sector so I wouldn't class it as painfully slow.

Cheers
Lee
Old 04 March 2006, 10:30 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Surely one of the main reasons you buy a coupe is image?... and Hyundai's score zero/10 when it comes to this.

A mate from work went to look at one of these (new) a couple of years back, and I remember he was raving about it - but soon changed his tune after a test driving. Build quality was tacky and it felt unrefined and slow he reckoned.

They are dirt cheap, but will continue depreciating. What about a Ford Puma? I expect they can be got for under 9k for a 2002 model.
Old 05 March 2006, 10:56 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
The old 2.0 did 0-60 in 8.6 with a top speed of 125mph, the new model is a fraction slower to 60 but a bit quicker at the top end.

That puts it in the warm to hot hatch sector and faster than the normal family sector so I wouldn't class it as painfully slow.

Cheers
Lee

I was referring to the V6, which is painfully slow for such a big engine! The 2.0 is just very average imo.
Old 05 March 2006, 01:02 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
We have a Focus 1.8 at the mo, which is no fire breather but still enjoyable to drive I have the 205 with PTW of approx 235/ton for spirited driving so dont need a performance machine as the daily driver.

Originally Posted by Petem95
Surely one of the main reasons you buy a coupe is image?... and Hyundai's score zero/10 when it comes to this.

A mate from work went to look at one of these (new) a couple of years back, and I remember he was raving about it - but soon changed his tune after a test driving. Build quality was tacky and it felt unrefined and slow he reckoned.

They are dirt cheap, but will continue depreciating. What about a Ford Puma? I expect they can be got for under 9k for a 2002 model.
We're not badge snobs so not too bothered about the image thing, my wife just wants something sporty and doesnt know the difference between a Hyundai or a Ferrari so it will keep her happy We've tried loads of stuff now - TT Roadster, S2000, 206CC, MX5, MR2 etc but all except the TT were too small for me.

Puma's are way too small (Fiesta base) - I do most of the weekend driving and being 6ft/large they are too uncomfortable.

Also depends where you live - we've been looking at Audi TT's as well, but round here their image is worse than the Hyundai, with the TT's being driven by all the 10-bob millionaires/boy band haircut brigade.

The budget is only really £9k as she's buying it herself, I was going to chip in another £9k but dont want the expense of having 1.5 cars when I do so little mileage.

As for quality, we looked at loads of them in the local Hyundai dealers yesterday and they felt no worse inside than our Focus, or a Scoob etc - the 5 year warranty must say something.

Mark - that looks just the ticket, but she doesnt like them in black (I do), she wants red or silver.
Old 05 March 2006, 02:47 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

How about a Golf TDI? My wife love hers and has stopped her driving the Scooby. Good image and torquey and quick for every day driving.
Old 05 March 2006, 10:35 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Golf doesn't really fall into the "sports car looks" category though, and no offense, but every rep from here to Manchester has a TDi and usually try to climb in the Focus' boot when we're out.

Hyundai is out though, as she wants an MX5 again now.

In truth, she wanted an MX5 all along, but I struggle for room in them - but if she wants that car then she should have it - a smaller steering wheel should sort the legroom issues out.