Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What is it with Peugeot forums?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2006, 11:49 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default What is it with Peugeot forums?

How come I'm having such a hard time getting access to any of the forums relating to Peugeots?

I've tried 205gtidrivers and after a number of attempts to have my membership validated I gave up.

Tried PGAC and although I'm now regsitered, I can't post replies or start threads.

Only one I can get on to is the Peugeot Sport Official Owners Club - and thats only after setting up a new account becuase my old one doesn't have any permissions anymore.

I've been playing with the idea of getting a 205 and I want a turbo conversion as apposed to a 16V conversion. For better or worse, I've always wanted a turbo 205. The place I went to when I bought my first 205 had a TT205 and the dealer wouldn't budge on the price and I just didn't have that extra £500 he wanted.

However, considering how hard it is to get anywhere with these forums I'm starting to think its a sign I shouldn't bother
Old 09 February 2006, 12:14 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use 306gti6.com
Old 09 February 2006, 12:20 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cos they are quality forums with good banter, a great membership and no trolls/idiots whatsoever.

205gtid may be hard to get onto at first (though it isnt that hard really), but its full of poper info, good banter and a great crowd - the validation process means we dont get any muppets in there, and any trolls cant be arsed with the process.

Its a priceless forum, and the members are superb. In fact, one of the members is coming here this arvo to remove my rear beam and rebuild my rear suspension - top marks from me
Old 09 February 2006, 12:38 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Well, I read through the validation requirements and made changes to my introduction post but it still didn't happen so I gave up.

Probably for the best because trying to find a mint 205TT is never going to happen.

Tried to get one in sorrento green just before I bought my Impreza. Think it got broken for parts in the end. Would be a life keeper IMHO.
Old 10 February 2006, 08:52 AM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

If I were you I would persevere with 205 GTI Drivers - it's an incredibly useful resource from a technical point of view and the members are generally very helpfuland friendly. I wouldn't consider owning one of these without access to the board.

Good example - my 205 Mi16 split a rad hose last week, short pipe with two 90 deg bends so none of my spare hoses would fit. Pug dealer told me it would be at least three weeks for the part to come from France - so the car would be off the road for the sake of a £5 part.

I posted my problem on the board that lunchtime, got a number of replys quickly, with the end result being a nearly new hose arriving in the post the next morning. The guy who sent it wouldn't take a bean, not even for postage and packing.

The validation process seems to do a good job of weeding out most of the muppets, and the moderation team manage to keep the tone of discussion somewhat higher than Scoobynet of late (no v's threads allowed, which is a major bonus)

Get back on there matey - what's your log in? No doubt DW and I will keep an eye out for you!

cheers
Ian
Old 10 February 2006, 03:16 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I think I'll have another go at registering then.

TBH I need to decide if I'm going to keep my Impreza. What I'm looking for is a life keeper (very long termer). A car that I can fiddle with and keep in "Just so" condition for a number of years. I've had 3 205s and enjoyed them all, I have a hankering for another GTIR Pulsar and I'm still very attached to my scoob.

Decisions decisions.
Old 10 February 2006, 06:03 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Just discovered that for my GF the difference between her crappy old astra 1.6 and a funky 105gti 1.6 is only £6.

Looks like we might be getting one afterall

My only worry is that its got to be reliable and french electrics aren't reknowned for their reliability.
Old 10 February 2006, 06:51 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Is the car a daily driver?

What do you anticipate spending?

A 205 is going to be 12 years old at least, and despite my love for these cars there's no doubt than some of the connectors in the loom tend to corrode and cause reliability problems. The problems often seem to the irritating intermittent type too! The rear torsion beam suspension is another weak point after so many years hard use, but can be renewed for around £300.

If you went out and bought a £900 1.9 I doubt it would be reliable enough for daily use. Having said that, with a bit of time and a not unreasonable amount of money (certainly compared to scooby modding) the issues can be sorted and you'll have a pretty reliable motor. I spent around 4k on not-a-lot of mods for my Scoob, for that you could have a VERY sorted 205.
Old 14 February 2006, 03:29 PM
JimVVC
Scooby Newbie

EddScott - I know someone selling a 205 GTi 2.0 8v Turbo in white with black 1.9 GTi Alloys with polished rims - £2k if you are interested PM me for more.
Old 14 February 2006, 03:30 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Cos they are quality forums with good banter, a great membership and no trolls/idiots whatsoever.

205gtid may be hard to get onto at first (though it isnt that hard really), but its full of poper info, good banter and a great crowd - the validation process means we dont get any muppets in there, and any trolls cant be arsed with the process.

Its a priceless forum, and the members are superb. In fact, one of the members is coming here this arvo to remove my rear beam and rebuild my rear suspension - top marks from me
Old 14 February 2006, 04:07 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

All sorted with 205GTIdrivers

I need to make a decision about keeping my Impreza before looking seriously for a turbo 205. However, I did a quick insurance quote for the GF on a 1.6 and its only £6 more than her boring old Astra which she says is far too "Mumsy".

We are looking at a Saxo VTR tomorrow for £1,500 but she is open to the idea of a 1.6 205 as long as it has power steering - she found my old 205 too heavy. I don't want to get a cheapy as it will be her daily although it won't go very far out of town. It will need to be reliable though.
Old 15 February 2006, 10:03 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

PAS isnt needed on a 1.6 if it has std alloys
Old 15 February 2006, 09:16 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

I use mine everyday,and has proved very reliable. was going to sell but like it too much.
Cheap to run even if the odd bit does go wrong,loads of Independant Parts Co s sell genuine Peugeot parts cheaper than dealer.
No character driving a Saxo,but good car by all accounts.

Soon get used to no PAS.

Very little depreciation too!!!

But get a good one!!
Old 16 February 2006, 08:25 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean about registering - it took me a while but it is worth it. The guys on the forum seem to be very focused on their cars without some of the nonsence that you can get on here from certain individuals. Bearing in mind how long some of the Pugs have been around, there is a lot of knowledge out there. I just bought a 205 1.6 GTI (with 1.9 GTI engine) purely for the track but I went down the route of insuring it as well cos it was already taxed and tested. Grrrrrrrrrrreat car - what a laugh last weekend at knockhill!!! My other car is (of course) a Scooby - My04 WRX STI with TSL 333 - 330 bhp!!! I love em both!
Old 16 February 2006, 08:29 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
I know what you mean about registering - it took me a while but it is worth it. The guys on the forum seem to be very focused on their cars without some of the nonsence that you can get on here from certain individuals. Bearing in mind how long some of the Pugs have been around, there is a lot of knowledge out there. I just bought a 205 1.6 GTI (with 1.9 GTI engine) purely for the track but I went down the route of insuring it as well cos it was already taxed and tested. Grrrrrrrrrrreat car - what a laugh last weekend at knockhill!!! My other car is (of course) a Scooby - My04 WRX STI with TSL 333 - 330 bhp!!! I love em both!
The 205 will be more fun on-track though.........The scoob is a target car for everything to try to pass........The 205 is an old shed which everyone will admire if it kicks their **** ...

Next track day you will start hearing the usual crap.........I was on my cool down lap, I wasnt trying, I had 3 lights on my cocklink, brakes have gone, tyres have gone off ..... Its great when you pass them and then deal out a touch of arragance in the pits after ...''yeah mate 130bhp but its fooked at the moment, badly in need of a rebuild'' ..... what car were you in mate in non bothered sort of voice ....''oh right that scoob, didnt I pass you on the last session?'' cue excuse time

205's rule
Old 18 February 2006, 09:57 AM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
The 205 will be more fun on-track though.........The scoob is a target car for everything to try to pass........The 205 is an old shed which everyone will admire if it kicks their **** ...

Next track day you will start hearing the usual crap.........I was on my cool down lap, I wasnt trying, I had 3 lights on my cocklink, brakes have gone, tyres have gone off ..... Its great when you pass them and then deal out a touch of arragance in the pits after ...''yeah mate 130bhp but its fooked at the moment, badly in need of a rebuild'' ..... what car were you in mate in non bothered sort of voice ....''oh right that scoob, didnt I pass you on the last session?'' cue excuse time

205's rule
Absolutely!!! Thay are great fun, but I reckon mine is a bit off getting passed a Scooby at the moment!!! Maybee stripping it out soon will save some weight/ time!!!
Old 18 February 2006, 10:19 AM
Bald Speed Racing
Scooby Regular

I use both with no troubles.
Old 18 February 2006, 03:39 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

205s certainly do rule. i couldn't use one as a road car.

Soon this baby will be on the track...

Old 19 February 2006, 08:39 AM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Stripping out not essential, the fun factor is the most important,my view is that driving ability out weighs whether the car is a few ks lighter or not,and most of this would be down to circuit knowledge and getting close to the edge of cars ability which is a lot faster than you think!!
Once this is mastered stripping can begin.