Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Pug 307 xsi

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2006, 12:22 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pug 307 xsi

My sister owns a 307 xsi and she had a rather scary moment coming home from work tonight.

She was travelling approx 60mph when the electrics failed (lights, dash,rev counter and I assume the ABS) ......now as the cars speed starting dropping all of a sudden it came back to life and jolted her forward.

Now I know the 307 is well know for there problems on the electric's side but this is a joke and could cause her an accident or other road users. Worst still she is a Nanny and she travels some duel carriage ways to take the kids to school etc.
I told her to call the local Pug dealership as they dealt with some other warranty issues for her recently and get them to deal with it straight away but she has stated that she is not intituled to a courtesy car and it will cause problems as she needs to drive the parents kids to school and after school events....WTF ....with a problem like this Peugeot should give her a courtesy car as an apology for the fact that there product is not road worthy?

Am I wrong in saying this? Has anyone else had problems similar to this?

Steve
Old 07 February 2006, 07:35 AM
mark1234
Scooby Regular

Location: Where women glow and men plunder, Xbox Gamertag Upsidedownmark

If it's any consolation ABS is always designed to fail safe - there should be more than enough pressure in the system to stop a couple of times or more. Don't forget that cars managed perfectly fine for years before ABS was invented. So long as she doesn't put her foot on the clutch, the power steering should continue to work...

I'd be more concerned about being stranded with the kids than anything else!
Old 07 February 2006, 10:23 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Did the engine cut out too? Presuming the Power Steering failed etc...

If it was me, Id take the car back and demand a full refund. The car sounds too dangerous to be on the road.
Old 07 February 2006, 10:54 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
My sister owns a 307 xsi and she had a rather scary moment coming home from work tonight.

She was travelling approx 60mph when the electrics failed (lights, dash,rev counter and I assume the ABS) ......now as the cars speed starting dropping all of a sudden it came back to life and jolted her forward.

Now I know the 307 is well know for there problems on the electric's side but this is a joke and could cause her an accident or other road users. Worst still she is a Nanny and she travels some duel carriage ways to take the kids to school etc.
I told her to call the local Pug dealership as they dealt with some other warranty issues for her recently and get them to deal with it straight away but she has stated that she is not intituled to a courtesy car and it will cause problems as she needs to drive the parents kids to school and after school events....WTF ....with a problem like this Peugeot should give her a courtesy car as an apology for the fact that there product is not road worthy?

Am I wrong in saying this? Has anyone else had problems similar to this?

Steve
YES!!!!

We have a 2002 307 GLX which was bought new and in the first 18 months this happened about 4-5 times in total. Although it always seemed to happen when at speed, I don;t think this was relevant.

Everything stopped - the engine I think did, but because you;re in shock that all the gauges went to zero (which is what you notice as wind noise drowned out most everything else), and within about 2-3 seconds it sprung back to life again. One time the wipers were on and they stopped, so I knew something happened even sooner and then it all came back on. I do seem to remember instinctively dropping the clutch, so when I lifted it I smoothly let it back in, but it was very very scary....

It;s like someone flicked a switch off and then on again.

So what happened. Told the dealer (the car was less than 6 months the first time it happened) who said they had never heard of it happening. Got them to check for fault codes and none (apparently) showed. See what happens.

In about 4-5 months nothing did, then it did it again. Twice before we went back to dealers. I said it's done it a few times now, and this is bloody dangerous (as I assume all the lights went out on the car although it was too quick to tell on a lit motorway). They took it in again, looked at it and said nothing could be found. Their suggestion - leave it with us for a while until it does it again. OK, I say, we've had it since new, it's done about 7,000 miles and done it 3 times in 16 months. I leave it with you and what, you drive it for the next year until it does it again? And what precisely will the driver do other than **** himself like I did?

I told them it was bollocks, and we took the car back.

Next service (mus have been the year 2 one I think) it had done it a few more and although I kicked up a bit, nothing was said.

Importantly, since then it never did it again. Two things I believe -

1 - About this time, 206 owners were reporting a similar problem (was featured on Watchdog) and I think this helped us

2 - I reckon they updated or changed the ECU without telling people, and my personal opinion is that it happened to some cars but not all, so anyone reporting had it either changed or something done that stopped it. In the last 2 years, it's never happened since. However, because I suspect they back then did not know what caused it, they were reluctant to admit anything.

Regardless, it was serious and was resolved without telling us.

It's a shocking car in general since I was hoping that buying a new one 6 months after launch would have resolved some issues. We've had blocked radiators (internal) which meant a total replacement under warranty, trim falling off inside and out, glovebox replaced 4 times, rear doors getting stuck (and still getting stuck although now out of warranty), dashboard bulbs failing, wipers jamming etc...

Hope this helps but if I can help in anyway, let me know. There seems to little info about it out there, but it's certainly a problem that you are not alone with.

Andy
Old 07 February 2006, 12:47 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Peugeot and free courtesy car, now you really are having a laugh. That would imply customer service which is a concept to evolved for them to have heard of.

The best advice you can give you sister is to sell it asap, does anyone know of a 307 without a horror story attached.

Sorry, but the Peugeot dealers I've dealt with are shocking incompetents, who couldn't be trusted to sit the right way round on a toilet.

I can now smile about my wifes 3 years of 206cc ownership, but only just.
Old 07 February 2006, 12:56 PM
Burt
Scooby Regular

Angry

The worst car ever with equally bad customer service. Would never buy anything peugeot.
Old 08 February 2006, 06:56 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Latest.........
My sister has written down what happened at the time and the time before that!!!!
It's going in today and guess what........no courtesy car. It's a shame I am going to the hospital whilst she is going there to take it in. I have never once left a dealership without a courtesy car even if I am not entitled to one. The way I see it is the car shouldn't be going back to them in the first place.

The point of the matter is I am concerned for her and her follow passengers if anything goes wrong again. As much as I would love to tell her to get rid of it and we will find another car she won't have it. She loves it to much.

mightyyid, thanks for the write up . Makes very interesting if not shocking reading. I was thinking of trying to re-set the ECU but if it is common fault there is no point. Do you happen to know what ECU they replaced the old with at all?
I will write up the latest later she gets some form of feed back or bullsh*te withering from the pug garage.

Steve

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2006, 08:10 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Steve

Good luck. Certainly, our dealer never admitted there was a known problem so much is just my guesswork. But it did used to happen and now does not, and we've not done anything to change that, so I suspect there is something that is not being said. Certainly, an ECU re-set did nothing for us.

Best thing may be to tell the dealer you know this is not an isolated incident and that fact that you know of others that have had the same problem and the only solution in their case was to change the ECU (or upgrade the software). How old is the car - is it still under warranty as to my mind, this may help the dealer do things when he knows he can claim from HO. If it's out of warranty you can bet he's less likely to help. I guess it also depends if they have ever heard of this happening before as they may have in the past...

Andy