Company Car Choice

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2001, 10:37 PM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK folks, give me your opinions.
Impending baby arrival means I'm opting into the Company Car Scheme (don't worry, I'm keeping the Scooby too!).

For the budget my two shortlisted contenders are a Golf GTI 1.8T (car supermarket import, didn't like the look of the Leon Cupra as much) and the new "warm" Peugeot 307 2.0 XSi (nice 17" alloys though!). The Pug's got more room for baby & related paraphenalia but I'm wavering towards the Golf (which I've driven & quite liked - the 2 litre Pug isn't out till August so I'm considering it on looks alone)... Whaddyathink??
Old 27 June 2001, 10:58 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

why opt in? take the cash,you will get hammered!!

Anyway,I had the T before opting out and as a family car it was ace.Kids never marked the interior,(unbelievable quality),fast,great stereo and fab Recaros for soaking up the long runs.Get more for your money than with the Audi.

Think its a great choice.Still better to opt out though,unless you get a petrol card and you run up 20k pa plus.
Old 27 June 2001, 11:07 PM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave. I weighed up the tax point. In actual fact now it's changing to emissions as the key factor it's not as bad as it used to be (although you wouldn't want a scooby as a company car!). Weighing in the road tax/insurance/servicing/repair bills on the banger I'd afford myself as a second car, it seemed to be worth it for peace of mind..

Greg
Old 27 June 2001, 11:32 PM
Christian_Driver
Scooby Regular

I've got a 1.8T as my company car - had it for 2.5 years now. I can't comment on how it compares to the 307, but I had a 306 gti-6 for a while before the Golf, and while it was great fun it was crap inside, poorly built, had a terrible stereo and uncomfortable seats!!

I quite like the Golf - it doesn't enthuse you with excitement, but it is pretty solid, reasonably quick and handles securely ( if occasionally on 3 wheels if you push it a bit ). If you do a lot of miles, you'll appreciate the seats and the decent stereo and the ease at which it cruises on the motorways...

I have to say I'd be tempted by the V5 170bhp Golf with the sports suspension upgrade. Quicker than the 1.8T and probably handles slightly better - I think Evo mag did a test a few months ago and thought it very good. I guess the only downside would be the worse emissions rating...

Cheers,

Christian
Old 28 June 2001, 06:29 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

Christian is spot on,the T has an emissions raying the same as the 1.6!!( couple higher) and the V5 is through the roof.Guy on the EVo forum has had both and rates them both but believes the V5 with the suspension is the now the one.
Old 28 June 2001, 10:31 PM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys

The wife is bending my ear cos she's so keen on the pug (the pram fits the boot for a start, it's amazing how your priorities change!). I figured the same as you on the V5, by the way. Peugeot dealer is cutting me a deal too so, depending on how it drives, I may well give in. It looks the part on the 17" alloys, at least, if a bit tall and Civic/MPV like. The interior is on a par with the golf too. May well go for metallic silver - It'll look like Gronholm's car on steriods with the rear spoiler fitted!